The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] M. Grigorenko may sign in the KHL

lol I know, Buffalo and Edmonton.. cities where careers end before they start.

Though he still is young and just may turn it around with the right organization

Learn more about a team before you talk about it. It was the Sabres ex-GM and 2-3 coaches ago that FUBAR'd Grigorenko's career. The rest of the prospects are being groomed just fine now that the previous cancerous decision makers are gone.

Not sure why Tim Murray is trying to give him a two-way contract. He won't clear waivers anyways. Regardless, I doubt Grigorenko bolts. It's just a threat by their camp to get a one-way deal, or it's just pure speculation.

Grigorenko was put in a crap situation since day one anyways. Rushed into the NHL by Regier when he should have been in the Q, given bad minutes in Buffalo even when he was playing well, and having to deal with a poor coach like Ted Nolan who doesn't know how to handle skilled players (as evidenced throughout his career). I think he would thrive under Dan Bylsma, but we'll see if he sticks around. Tim Murray has been very unimpressive so far as GM though.

It's easy enough to figure out if you know the basics of RFA offer sheets. You tender an offer of over $1.2 million dollars and if another team bites then you get compensated a draft pick. If he signs for less than $1.2 million, putting him on waivers is no big deal either. You would lose him either way.

No surprise. He had KHL written all over him when he was drafted

People on CDC and in Buffalo said that shortly after he was drafted. It's the risk you take with Russians. Sign for some quick cash in the KHL while you develop and then make your way back to the NHL.

If I were him, that's exactly what I would do at this point.

This guy could be a potential #1 c in the NHL with proper development and care. If I were JB I'd be all over this. Imagine if he turns out to be Forsberg esc?! I'd trade lack for him straight up, or if we can get some picks out of it with dealing a bieksa/Higgins for example it would be awesome imo.

Learn more about a team before you talk about it. It was the Sabres ex-GM and 2-3 coaches ago that FUBAR'd Grigorenko's career. The rest of the prospects are being groomed just fine now that the previous cancerous decision makers are gone

We will see in the next few years how those players turn out, it's still early, though they were smart to return Reinhart back to juniors the past year instead of keeping him on the team. Maybe you are right and they have turned a corner in their player developmental process

Higgins + Lack for grigs and buffs 2nd is more than fair. Lack is more proven than grigs and the 2nd and Higgins balance the difference b/c higgy is prob worth a 3rd. This would be fantastic b/c we could potential have our #1 C that we've been coveting. Of course it comes with some risk but the reward would be worth it. If higgy is gone it frees up some cap space and a roster spot(Baertschi). Buff gets lack a young, solid starting G, and higgy to mentor the kids. Higgins is from NY also so maybe he'd waive. Works out for both teams.

We will see in the next few years how those players turn out, it's still early, though they were smart to return Reinhart back to juniors the past year instead of keeping him on the team. Maybe you are right and they have turned a corner in their player developmental process

It was only the final 18 mos. of Regier being in charge that player development went down the tubes. He knew his days as a GM were numbered and he started to get desperate. That and he bowed to Grigorenko's and his agent's demand that he get NHL minutes.

Buffalo fans have proven, over the last 2 seasons, that we are patient enough to wait through a few bad seasons if there is light at the end of the tunnel. That gives Murray and Bylsma all of the time that they need to develop the talent.

Murray also cleaned house in Rochester this year so he could bring in some new coaches with new perspectives on developing the talent. The Sabres have their talent in a prime position to succeed.

Higgins + Lack for grigs and buffs 2nd is more than fair. Lack is more proven than grigs and the 2nd and Higgins balance the difference b/c higgy is prob worth a 3rd. This would be fantastic b/c we could potential have our #1 C that we've been coveting. Of course it comes with some risk but the reward would be worth it. If higgy is gone it frees up some cap space and a roster spot(Baertschi). Buff gets lack a young, solid starting G, and higgy to mentor the kids. Higgins is from NY also so maybe he'd waive. Works out for both teams.

If Lack would agree to a 2-3 yr. bridge contract, I agree. If he's looking for a long term (4-5 yr.) contract then the Sabres aren't the team for him and vice versa.

1. Higgins wouldn't waive

2. I don't think Buffalo throws in a second, which is pretty much a late first.

Lack would be a good fit in Buffalo. I'd maybe toss in Vey as he wouldn't really have a spot on the team anymore.

The one problem with this trade is there is some risk on both sides. If Gigorenko becomes a star, Lack + Vey isn't great return (especially if Lack sucks in Buffalo).

What is even worse, is if Girgorenko leaves the NHL anyway, and we end up losing Lack for nothing.

To Buffalo

Lack

Vey

Conditional 2nd round pick 2016 (if Grigorenko signs & plays with Vancouver for at least one season)

To Vancouver

Grigorenko

Conditional 2nd round pick 2016 (If Grigorenko leaves for the KHL).

so...

If Grigorenko signs in Vancouver and plays, Lack, Vey + 2nd round pick is a very fair return for Buffalo. If he leaves, a 2nd round pick (likely in the 30s) and Grigorenko's rights is a fair return to Vancouver for Lack & Vey.

Lack would be a good fit in Buffalo. I'd maybe toss in Vey as he wouldn't really have a spot on the team anymore.

The one problem with this trade is there is some risk on both sides. If Gigorenko becomes a star, Lack + Vey isn't great return (especially if Lack sucks in Buffalo).

What is even worse, is if Girgorenko leaves the NHL anyway, and we end up losing Lack for nothing.

To Buffalo

Lack

Vey

Conditional 2nd round pick 2016 (if Grigorenko signs & plays with Vancouver for at least one season)

To Vancouver

Grigorenko

so...

If Grigorenko signs in Vancouver and plays, Lack, Vey + 2nd round pick is a very fair return for Buffalo. If he leaves, a 2nd round pick (likely in the 30s) and Grigorenko's rights is a fair return to Vancouver for Lack & Vey.

Interesting, but really don't know what Buffalo would do with Vey. They've already got a lot of bottom 9 depth.

Also, where Grigorenko would realistically fit into Vancouver is a who-knows thing. Could sign/play for a year but never warrant getting off the 4th line - that's hardly worth a 2nd.

Basically it seems like you're suggesting Lack = Buffalo's high 2nd, with Vey/Girgorenko's rights an unnecessary addon-on wash. Or am I missing something in your thread of thought?

Interesting, but really don't know what Buffalo would do with Vey. They've already got a lot of bottom 9 depth.

Also, where Grigorenko would realistically fit into Vancouver is a who-knows thing. Could sign/play for a year but never warrant getting off the 4th line - that's hardly worth a 2nd.

Basically it seems like you're suggesting Lack = Buffalo's high 2nd, with Vey/Girgorenko's rights an unnecessary addon-on wash. Or am I missing something in your thread of thought?

You are pretty much bang on. Vey probably wouldn't be included, but is an example of a toss-in depending on contracts etc.

There is of course some risk even with throwing in the conditionals. If Grigorenko doesn't get off the fourth line, Lack & 2nd is quite a lot. That said, giving up Lack and mid-late 2nd for 12th overall would be a pretty good return. And like Grigorenko, that 12th overall might never amount to much.

Between 1994 to 2011 9/18 picks at 12th overall didn't become NHLers (or at least good ones) although the ones who did became really good players (Myers, Little, McDonough, Staal, Hamhuis, Hossa, Tanguay, Fowler).

Grigorenko is still a question mark either way.

Lack + for Grigo. Lack alone won't get it done, it will require another solid piece. He won't come cheap but we'd get our future 1C.

I remember when Grigo got drafted he slid, I wanted Canucks to move up to draft him so bad. He was rated pretty high going in. I'd be ecstatic if we got him.

Tim Murray is an idiot. Why would he not sign Grigo to a 1 way contract. He's talking about buying out CoHo, which would cost several million $. Pegula has tons of money and he's not cheap as previous contracts ie Ehrhoff indicate. Why piss off a 20 year old potential star in the future. The way he handled the firing of his coach was another jack ass move. I think Pegula made a mistake with this hiring.

Murray has already pissed off Eichel twice before even drafting him. One time when he cried about not getting the 1st and 2nd time when info was leaked to the media that Eichel told Sabres mgmt in private interview that he was the best player in the draft. He looked pretty choked when he got swarmed by the media and said he thought it was a private convo and wasn't sure how/why it got out. If I was Eichel I'd tell Murray and the Sabres not to draft me.

To Buffalo

Lack

Vey

To Vancouver

Grigorenko

so...

Why?

You're aware Higgins' family including physically and mentally disabled sibling live their right? You're aware Higgins vanishes the moment the season is over to go help his family and be with said sibling right? Higgins is a rare salt of the earth guy. If NYR NYI or Buf wanted him, he'd waive.

Lack + for Grigo. Lack alone won't get it done, it will require another solid piece. He won't come cheap but we'd get our future 1C.

I remember when Grigo got drafted he slid, I wanted Canucks to move up to draft him so bad. He was rated pretty high going in. I'd be ecstatic if we got him.

Tim Murray is an idiot. Why would he not sign Grigo to a 1 way contract. He's talking about buying out CoHo, which would cost several million $. Pegula has tons of money and he's not cheap as previous contracts ie Ehrhoff indicate. Why piss off a 20 year old potential star in the future. The way he handled the firing of his coach was another jack ass move. I think Pegula made a mistake with this hiring.

Murray has already pissed off Eichel twice before even drafting him. One time when he cried about not getting the 1st and 2nd time when info was leaked to the media that Eichel told Sabres mgmt in private interview that he was the best player in the draft. He looked pretty choked when he got swarmed by the media and said he thought it was a private convo and wasn't sure how/why it got out. If I was Eichel I'd tell Murray and the Sabres not to draft me.

Pegula didn't hire Murray.

Pegula didn't hire Murray.

Pegula bought the team a few years ago, before Ehrhoff became UFA, Murray singed with Buffalo around a year ago so yeah....

Unless you're going somewhere else with this which went over my head.

Any thoughts on rest of the post? ie Tim Murray's job performance so far.

Pegula bought the team a few years ago, before Ehrhoff became UFA, Murray singed with Buffalo around a year ago so yeah....

Unless you're going somewhere else with this which went over my head.

Any thoughts on rest of the post? ie Tim Murray's job performance so far.

Pegula turned the hockey side of the organization over to Pat LaFontaine and LaFontaine then hired Nolan and Murray.

My opinion on Murray is that he handled the whole Eichel situation clumsily, but other than that, it's a wait and see approach with him.

I love Nolan, but after his best friend (Pat LaFontaine) lost the front office power struggle 4 months into the job and resigned, on top of the obvious tanking plan, Nolan saw the writing on the wall. Murray got his wish this off-season and brought in his own coach. GMs are known to do that.

Pegula turned the hockey side of the organization over to Pat LaFontaine and LaFontaine then hired Nolan and Murray.

My opinion on Murray is that he handled the whole Eichel situation clumsily, but other than that, it's a wait and see approach with him.

I love Nolan, but after his best friend (Pat LaFontaine) lost the front office power struggle 4 months into the job and resigned, on top of the obvious tanking plan, Nolan saw the writing on the wall. Murray got his wish this off-season and brought in his own coach. GMs are known to do that.

gtfo. how old are you 12?

Archived