The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Your top 3 choices for pick #23

1) Kylington

2) Andersson

3) Dunn/Roy

I feel that our forward pool has become exponentially better these past few drafts, and what we need to look at now is defence. The players I have listed are the ones who I feel match up well with our spot (selection #, need, boom potential) but have their risks. All that being said, I doubt we will be taking any of these players because the draft is completely unpredictable, after the top few picks, due to the amount of variables in play.

The way Benning is talking, he want's a player with "high character over skill with attitude"

So no chance hes taking Kylington.

Might be a bit of a stretch, but here are my choices.

1: LW: Svevhnikov

2: RW/C: Konceny

3: RW: Boeser

I feel like the canucks can get a good defenceman in the second round.

We have to be looking at a puck moving defenceman right now. Look at our organizational needs:

Edler - overall defenceman, more shutdown this year

Tanev - shutdown defenceman

Hamhuis - shutdown defencecman

Bieksa - physical shutdown defenceman

Sbisa - physical shutdown defenceman

Weber - puck moving defenceman (but not in our top-4, may well walk)

Stanton - shutdown defenceman

Corrado - shutdown defenceman (hasn't scored many points in Utica)

Clendening - puck moving defenceman

Subban - puck moving defenceman

Of our 3 true puck moving defencemen, two of them are AHL-calibre right now, Weber is fringe and probably not even going to be on the team next season. God knows how Hutton is going but I don't see him cracking the NHL any time soon.

We need a puck mover, and here are some that will fall to #23:

1) Chabot

2) Kylington

3) Roy

Pick any one of them, ideally a left handed defenceman like Chabot or Kylington because we have no replacement for Hamhuis and eventually Edler, while our right side is stacked with young defenders.

Heck if Benning's a real genius and can trade Lack for say the 24th overall pick, we can get both of them and suddenly our defensive prospect pool is one of the better ones in the NHL.

Edler - Tanev

Chabot - Corrado

Kylington - Clendening

We have to be looking at a puck moving defenceman right now. Look at our organizational needs:

Edler - overall defenceman, more shutdown this year

Tanev - shutdown defenceman

Hamhuis - shutdown defencecman

Bieksa - physical shutdown defenceman

Sbisa - physical shutdown defenceman

Weber - puck moving defenceman (but not in our top-4, may well walk)

Stanton - shutdown defenceman

Corrado - shutdown defenceman (hasn't scored many points in Utica)

Clendening - puck moving defenceman

Subban - puck moving defenceman

Of our 3 true puck moving defencemen, two of them are AHL-calibre right now, Weber is fringe and probably not even going to be on the team next season. God knows how Hutton is going but I don't see him cracking the NHL any time soon.

We need a puck mover, and here are some that will fall to #23:

1) Chabot

2) Kylington

3) Roy

Pick any one of them, ideally a left handed defenceman like Chabot or Kylington because we have no replacement for Hamhuis and eventually Edler, while our right side is stacked with young defenders.

Heck if Benning's a real genius and can trade Lack for say the 24th overall pick, we can get both of them and suddenly our defensive prospect pool is one of the better ones in the NHL.

Edler - Tanev

Chabot - Corrado

Kylington - Clendening

Benning's already on record during his most recent interview saying drafting for organizational need/fit is dangerous. Pick BPA if you're outside of the T5, MAYBE T10 depending on the depth. Overload one position and use it as a strength to trade and fill another hole in the organization.

1) Travis Konecny: If he falls to 23, no way he is not best player available. Getting Konecny at 23 is honestly a pipe dream. But we've gotten both Hunter Shinkaruk and Jared McCann at 24. So it is definitely possible. He's undersized and struggled at points in the season, but trust me, with his ELITE skill set, passing on him at 23 would be a HUGE mistake. Also, he's Bo Horvat's second cousin. Family connection could drive both to be studs. Imagine if some of Bo's defensive skills could rub off on him, and some of Konecny's could rub off on Bo. You know they are going to be working together in the summer day in day out. Also gives great versatility. Konecny and Horvat can act as a 1-2 center punch, or Konecny can honestly play on his wing and fully unleash his offensive prowess.

2) Jeremy Roy: Dude is a boss. He is that potential long time PMD that we have been looking for. He has all the tools to be a deadly PP QB, as well as still being very respectable on defense. He should be picked around 23, making him available. He would be my target considering Konecny is a stretch. Next year, either Clendening or Corrado will make the team. Maybe both. After them, our only right handed d really is Jordan Subban. Now I think Jordan Subban will be good but you have to refill the cupboard. It is our most glaring need, and Jeremy Roy is as perfect a fit as we can find.

3) Daniel Sprong: Sprong is predicted to go after the 23rd pick and honestly, I see elite in him too. He has all the tools do be an incredibly effective winger. I don't know why more people aren't talking about him, but hey, I'm not complaining. Gives us a 'safety' choice if the other guys are gone. Sprong doesn't offer the versitily Konecny does, but what he does offer is an elite offensive right handed skill set. Something we don't have much of, besides Virtanen.

Note:

If we do take Konecny or Sprong with the 23rd, then we for sure need to make a trade to get a second round pick and try to snag a right handed defensman. Everyone on this board seems to already know, if we are talking second rounders here, RASMUS ANDERSSON IS A NO BRAINER. Try and get that 31st from Buffalo and that should do it.

The 2 that really catch my eye are:

Harkins

Zboril

I'm sure JB has a better picture then us. I just hope we don't draft Carlo.(watch him become a stud lol) I think Van Sompel may be better then some think too but not sure if hes worth the 23rd pick.

Archived