The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

Having watched the last 4 UND games in full, I haven't really noticed his foot speed lacking. I think this may come from the fact that he seems to look like he's coasting sometimes, but he's always in the right spot. Shows good hockey sense that he doesn't need expend a lot of energy to be in the right spots, never chasing the play just plays sound positionally and puts it in gear when he needs to. Pretty common for good goal scorers to roam the ice like this and slip into soft spots on the ice unnoticed. Definitely showed some good foot speed to beat out the icing on that play, but of course the NCHC isn't as fast as the NHL so can't wait to see him at camp next year.

On a side note, man is college hockey fun to watch.

• Upvote 3

He has NHL size and uses it to win puck battles. It always seems like his compete level is high no matter where he is on the ice.

If he gets faster he will be a dangerous player. If Bo can get faster though I have no doubts Brock can.

I love his compete level along the boards and he has underrated playmaking ability but obviously his goal scoring ability is his best attribute.

BB is great.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He has NHL size and uses it to win puck battles. It always seems like his compete level is high no matter where he is on the ice.

If he gets faster he will be a dangerous player. If Bo can get faster though I have no doubts Brock can.

I love his compete level along the boards and he has underrated playmaking ability but obviously his goal scoring ability is his best attribute.

BB is great.

JYD is great!  Excellent analysis of our future 50 goal scorer and Rocket Richard trophy winner. ::D

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JYD is great!  Excellent analysis of our future 50 goal scorer and Rocket Richard trophy winner. ::D

Optimism is great on these forums but do not over exaggerate it.

Boeser is a 23rd overall pick. He could potentially be a top 6 forward. He has qualities to be successful at the NHL level.

That doesn't mean he is going to be a 50 goal scorer. I would temper your expectations. You don't want to disappoint yourself.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Boeser is a 23rd overall pick. He could potentially be a top 6 forward. He has qualities to be successful at the NHL level.

That doesn't mean he is going to be a 50 goal scorer. I would temper your expectations. You don't want to disappoint yourself.

"Great Expectations - Pip."   :frantic:

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Most of these expectations are coming from what he's doing this year. The fact that he's a 23rd overall pick becomes irrelevant if he blows expectations out of the water (which he has done so far this year).

20 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Most of these expectations are coming from what he's doing this year. The fact that he's a 23rd overall pick becomes irrelevant if he blows expectations out of the water (which he has done so far this year).

I'm with Junkyard Dog on this one.

Boeser has outperformed expectations this season giving reason for excitement, but it is just one year along the pathway to developing into an NHL player.  It remains a big step from the NCAA to the AHL and a further big step from the AHL to the NHL.

11 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Boeser has outperformed expectations this season giving reason for excitement, but it is just one year along the pathway to developing into an NHL player.  It remains a big step from the NCAA to the AHL and a further big step from the AHL to the NHL.

Still, I see no harm in being excited about someone that, so far, is looking like an absolute steal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tyhee said:

All true. Low first round picks (and Boeser was #23 overall) are only about 50-50 to become solid NHL players. (See http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-value-nhl-draft-picks/).

Thinking of low first round Canuck picks, McCann is solid, Jensen probably won't make it, Gaunce looks like a good bet, but no guarantees, and Shinkaruk is probably still 50-50. That is consistent with the general pattern.

Boeser has outperformed his draft order so far and now probably similar to a midrange first rounder in expectations -- similar to Baertschi, for example.

So as this point, he looks likely to be at least a solid player at the NHL level, but I agree there is still a lot of uncertainty. The NHL is a lot tougher than the NCAA, but look at how easily Hutton made the move.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ryan Kessler was picked 23rd over all. And Boeser reminds me of him. Only with a slightly better release than Kessler.  I don't see him as a 50 goal scorer but a perennial 30 goal man, yeah I can see it.  Especially on his 22 goal. His tenacity and drive and speed on the forecheck.  

35 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

pick 24 travis konecny has 99 points in 53 games, so he hasn't outperformed him, but we all know this lol

Konecny is having a great season, but he is a little smaller than than Boeser at 5'10" and 176... but on the positive side, Konecny is a cousin of Bo's.

Edit... just realized I misspelled BOTH guys names....  :blush:

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

25 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

pick 24 travis konecny has 99 points in 53 games, so he hasn't outperformed him, but we all know this lol

Apples and oranges... the average age of college hockey teams is 21-22 years old, much stiffer competition. Seeing how many undrafted 20 year olds dominate juniors each year, can you imagine what the average college team would do to an OHL team? What Brock is doing in the NCAA right now as a freshman is extremely impressive, don't sell him short.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

um hes just under 2pts per game whats boeser at?

He's the better GOAL SCORER... Not point producer overall. 

He scores goals at a higher clip than Konecny against older players and goalies. There's no way to disprove this, so I don't know why you are arguing...

Just saying, I said he's the better goal scorer for a reason