The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015-16 Utica Comets Thread

thejazz97

You forgot Nicklas Jensen.

Im interested to see if our rookies can carry the load in Utica..lost some good character players in O'Reilly, Defazio, Archibald, Bo Sang, Huskins etc.

Defazio was the only guy to reach 20+ goals, and O'reilly was the only player that was close to being a PPG player. Should be a fun interesting year to see the young guys step up and form a continuous winning culture in Utica.

Mackenze Stewart also missing from that list. Nice to see so many Canucks prospects being thrust into roles held by veteran AHL'ers last year. With so many of our own prospects coming down the line, these guys are going to get thrown into the deep end and we'll see who sinks and who swims. It's looking like the development team we've needed since the Manitoba Moose turned out a core group of players took us to the finals in 2011.

If Coach Green can get this team back into the playoffs, especially with so many rookie D-men, I see some team giving him an NHL gig.

AHL has no roster limit so I would expect players to get a good long look before being sent to the K-wings.

Oh, desiboy is going to be some kind of upset when BoSang comes back and does his thing in a Rochester Amerks jersey. Especially against the Comets. Yikes.

desiboynux4lifee*******, on 02 Jul 2015 - 4:12 PM, said:snapback.png

Mark my words if Bo- Sang gets his 1 chance in the NHL he will amaze and will prove all you haters wrong and I gaurantee it Doug Lidsters tenure on the Canucks' will be over after Bo-SANG proves them wrong.

Fixed, not confident about Negrin though. Only relevant search with him and contract produced something from Aug 2014. CAn't believe I forgot Jensen.

It's going to be interesting seeing the young guys take on a bigger role. Utica will be taking a step back, and it's pretty clear that management is enabling the young players to grow. I'm excited to see Cassels turn pro, Hutton could be gold, Cannata is deserving of AHL time, and of course Pedan taking a bigger role, with the only true vet on the back end being Biega. It's interesting from a development standpoint.

Utica even last year, wasn't known for scoring. It's a systematic, hard working game that Green preaches that should translate into continued success.

From a week ago:

http://www.uticacomets.com/negrin-re-signs-with-comets/

When is the AHL schedule going to be released? im looking to pick up some single game tickets for a game or 2

In about a week and a half. It comes out about two weeks after the NBA schedule comes out which was finally released last week. There are a few AHL teams that share arenas with NBA teams.

• 2 weeks later...

No big loss IMHO. Two straight years in the ECHL with occasional call ups to the Comets Blain was not a legitimate NHL prospect anyway. In his games in Utica he looked serviceable in the offensive zone but was a liability in his own end. Just too weak with the puck and turned it over easy with a strong forechecker. Just not physically strong enough.

Im interested to see if our rookies can carry the load in Utica..lost some good character players in O'Reilly, Defazio, Archibald, Bo Sang, Huskins etc.

Sounds like Stewart is going to be converted to wing so he should replace what Archie brought.

He's a great skater that hits and plays hard. He's also a good team guy from the sounds of it.

Why...?

Yea I don't see it being that bad. Sure there's some question marks, but they still should have a strong lineup.

Alot of Utica's success last season was because of Markstrom. Bachman is more than capable of taking the reigns and leading the team.

There will likely be some bumps early on, but once everyone settles into their roles, they should be fine.

I'm excited to see these young players grow and mature as a group. It's the first time in a while we have a decent crop of young players at every position. Time spent learning (winning and losing) together will pay dividends in the long run. This isn't a quick or easy fix, the rebuilding of a prospect pool.

I'm also happy that we seem to be drafting players with leadership ability who are also willing to stand up for team mates and lead by example - hard work and overcoming adversity on and off the ice.

Yea I don't see it being that bad. Sure there's some question marks, but they still should have a strong lineup.

Alot of Utica's success last season was because of Markstrom. Bachman is more than capable of taking the reigns and leading the team.

There will likely be some bumps early on, but once everyone settles into their roles, they should be fine.

Plus the addition of some very quality prospects (Hutton, Cassels, Subban...), another year older Shink, Guance etc.

I'm excited about Utica's upcoming season, not fearful of it.

It looks like it could be a rough year for Utica. Let's hope the prospects can step-up and get this team into the playoffs.

Why...?

If one goes by the standard the Comets set in 2014-15 I would agree that at least the first part of the season will be tough. The vets don't look to be as strong to me as last season's group.

Otoh, the Comets with Green as coach made a great turnaround in 2013-14, going from very poor in the early season to decent by the end of the season and this team looks to me to be better talent-wise than that one, so while it is unlikely the Comets will be quite as good overall as in 2014-15, they may still be a pretty good team, especially later in the season and in the playoffs. I'd be very surprised if this group doesn't make the playoffs, though it wouldn't be shocking if they start the season slowly.

Of course, for Canucks fans the interest in Utica is largely in watching the progress of the prospects, which should be at least as interesting this year as last given that imo the prospects are likely to play a larger role this season than they did last. As well as others, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier and Pedan are all a season more experienced, Hutton is an advanced rookie at 22 YO who impressed in the NCAA and Cassels and Subban are 20 YO rookies who were very impressive in junior in their Draft + 2 seasons.

Any hint as to what the Comets are going to reveal tomorrow?

Sounds like they've got an announcement coming.

My wish would be for them to stream Comets games on the Canucks website, but I know it's not gonna happen. My guess is it will be the announcement of Biega as the next captain.

Any hint as to what the Comets are going to reveal tomorrow?

Sounds like they've got an announcement coming.

My wish would be for them to stream Comets games on the Canucks website, but I know it's not gonna happen. My guess is it will be the announcement of Biega as the next captain.

I think it has something to do with some changes to their jerseys, maybe a third jersey?. They leaked this picture today,

https://twitter.com/uticacomets/status/636251798798381056

(wish I knew how to post the tweet instead of the link, sorry)

Archived