The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shocking case of racist cabbie abuse in Calgary caught on video

TheFirstLine

The racist idiot was drunk, but he ultimately settled with the driver already for damages done, as the RCMP had determined prior to this media witchhunt.

If the cabbie had merely done what the drunk guy asked to do in the first place, there is no incident. If i'm the cabbie I have no issue with running up the drunk idiot's bill while he does drunk things like getting fast food en route to his destination. Not doing so was a failure by the cabbie, who no doubt runs into drunk idiots all the time, as it's part of his job.

Not excusing the racism here, but the incident was completely avoidable. And pardon me, but the incident was from 2013. It's a joke that the 'case' has been re-opened now. But whatever.

ps. If the driver was white, the drunken idiot would've been equally as mad at him.

I wonder if you missed this part?

The man wanted to stop for fast food on his way home, but the taxi chit expired in 13 minutes. The passenger, angry about his lack of time, began to berate Qayyum.

The racist idiot was drunk, but he ultimately settled with the driver already for damages done, as the RCMP had determined prior to this media witchhunt.

If the cabbie had merely done what the drunk guy asked to do in the first place, there is no incident. If i'm the cabbie I have no issue with running up the drunk idiot's bill while he does drunk things like getting fast food en route to his destination. Not doing so was a failure by the cabbie, who no doubt runs into drunk idiots all the time, as it's part of his job.

Not excusing the racism here, but the incident was completely avoidable. And pardon me, but the incident was from 2013. It's a joke that the 'case' has been re-opened now. But whatever.

ps. If the driver was white, the drunken idiot would've been equally as mad at him.

If you actually watch the video he did mention to allow the passenger to get fast food and whatever after the fact his pass expired...

Also all those things the passenger said were unnecessary..

The driver should have just got out of the cab or drove to the nearest police station..

Also as a minority I have learned to grow a thick skin as racism is still alive and well for certain groups of people.

My approach is to surround myself with good people and ignore the fracked up ones.

People are racist no matter the skin tone as you should hear what some brown people say about white people behind close doors lol.

Same stuff..

No. I didn't. This is what needs to be fixed imho.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse here, I just really am struggling to understand your point. You said that the whole thing could have been averted had the cabbie simply stopped for food, and that the cabbie should have had no problem racking up the guys bill.

I totally agree with you on this. In fact, there have been a few times when I have been in this position myself as a passenger and the driver has always been more than willing to stop at a 7-11 or McDonalds or whatever.

What is different in this case is that this passenger was using a chit and not his own money. Consequently, there was no bill to rack up and the cab driver would therefore be driving part of the way for free.

Given this, I'm not sure how anyone could suggest that the driver accept some of the blame.

So we're clear, I'm not trying to challenge you, I just don't think I understand your point.

we live in a time were you have to watch what you say and do. Everyone is a paparazzi with cameras waiting to record your out-brust. Me personally, I think the guy was drunk which caused him to be like that, I don't think he is a racist in real life but the liquor may have got to him. Oh well, lesson learned guys next time you out behave because someone will record you if you something dumb.

we live in a time were you have to watch what you say and do. Everyone is a paparazzi with cameras waiting to record your out-brust. Me personally, I think the guy was drunk which caused him to be like that, I don't think he is a racist in real life but the liquor may have got to him. Oh well, lesson learned guys next time you out behave because someone will record you if you something dumb.

Basically this.. People are more concerned with the bystander effect than actually doing something about it..

Depending how prolific the crime is you can even make money off of it if posted on YouTube and it goes viral.

Are you kidding! That's a fricken joke of a response. Let me give into the demands of a "drunken" (allegedely) racist dude so that we can avoid the confrontation. So that is to say next time someone walks up to you and says can I slap you in the face you let him/her do it and walk away to avoid the confrontation? Ridiculous. The focus should and needs to be on the racist loser not on the cabbies actions. Suggesting otherwise hints at condoning the racists activities and that should never be the case in our society.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse here, I just really am struggling to understand your point. You said that the whole thing could have been averted had the cabbie simply stopped for food, and that the cabbie should have had no problem racking up the guys bill.

I totally agree with you on this. In fact, there have been a few times when I have been in this position myself as a passenger and the driver has always been more than willing to stop at a 7-11 or McDonalds or whatever.

What is different in this case is that this passenger was using a chit and not his own money. Consequently, there was no bill to rack up and the cab driver would therefore be driving part of the way for free.

Given this, I'm not sure how anyone could suggest that the driver accept some of the blame.

So we're clear, I'm not trying to challenge you, I just don't think I understand your point.

Obviously, the driver drove him to where he wanted to go anyway, so it was completely up to his discretion. This does not excuse the drunken racism, of course. But I think the chit system is flawed and we're seeing these types of incidents coming about.

There have been other incidents in which passengers are kicked out due to this flawed system.http://globalnews.ca/news/1706512/recent-incidents-involving-taxi-vouchers-a-matter-of-educating-drivers-vancouver-taxi-association/

But in other cases cabbie drivers have been charged with misuse of the system. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cabbies-charged-with-misuse-of-taxi-chits-1.922342

Hmmm. So perhaps there is no fix to the chit system as it is.

The idiot racist drunk was guilty of being an idiot racist drunk, for sure. I think he already paid for that though. The RCMP didn't pursue it further at the time and I agree with that. But since the media getting on this it's rebooted? That's bs imho.

What do people want to ultimately see? An end to racism? Okay.

How about an enforcement of The Christmas Spirit? This drunken a-hole was going home after a christmas party. Ho-ho-ho, off to Mickey D's we go? Merry Christmas? No?

Obviously, the driver drove him to where he wanted to go anyway, so it was completely up to his discretion. This does not excuse the drunken racism, of course. But I think the chit system is flawed and we're seeing these types of incidents coming about.

There have been other incidents in which passengers are kicked out due to this flawed system.http://globalnews.ca/news/1706512/recent-incidents-involving-taxi-vouchers-a-matter-of-educating-drivers-vancouver-taxi-association/

But in other cases cabbie drivers have been charged with misuse of the system. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cabbies-charged-with-misuse-of-taxi-chits-1.922342

The idiot racist drunk was guilty of being an idiot racist drunk, for sure. I think he already paid for that though. The RCMP didn't pursue it further at the time and I agree with that. But since the media getting on this it's rebooted? That's bs imho.

How about an enforcement of The Christmas Spirit? This drunken a-hole was going home after a christmas party. Ho-ho-ho, off to Mickey D's we go? Merry Christmas? No?

The only thing that is fishy is why has the driver waited over 2 years to release this video to the media.. Like why now?

I hope he not trying to get a quick pay day or something.

The only thing that is fishy is why has the driver waited over 2 years to release this video to the media.. Like why now?

I hope he not trying to get a quick pay day or something.

Umm have you seen the video? The stuff that racist pos was saying was mind blowing. In another article it also says that he had ripped the camera off and hit the cab driver in the chest with it. So not only was he a racist idiot he was also a time bomb ready to explode, if the cab driver didn't flee his vehicle that guy would have crossed many more lines. If I'm in his position and all that criminal did was pay for vehicle damage I would milk him for everything he's got whether it's 2 years or 10 years later. I think most of us can agree our true feelings and the real truth reveals itself when we are under the influence, sucks that guy was being video taped smh.

Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying this.

As a former bartender and professional musician, I have seen more than my share of drunks. My experience is that alcohol tends to make people express their true feelings, rather than the opposite.

Archived