The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Defense Looking Up

Me_

**ZHockey**

It looks like you ran out of steam with your essay. It's not often I'll read such a block of text.

I think you're right about Benning. He does have faults but his strengths are definitely talent evaluation and especially amateur talent. To fine tune it even more, I would think that a former defenseman knows D better than anything.

Benning is a big picture thinker who can and will dig down into the details. I get him because I'm like that myself. So he starts from the grand scale where he wants X and Y and Z, then he'll wait for his opportunities. He'll take an X- if he thinks he can get a Y+ to complement and so on.

Does he really think that he has all those pieces in house already? I don't know but I do think that he thought that Clendening was a Y- and Corrado was a Y+, so he agreed to throw in Clenening to get an upgrade at 2.5C. It might look fuzzy but it's not really.

You could argue that there are 6 main attributes that you want from your defenders:

1. Puck moving
  2. Physical, clear front of net
  3. Power play quarterback
  4. Offensive, shot
  5. Stay at home, positional, box out
  6. Skating with the puck

Now, you probably want players who have at least 2 of these attributes and you probably want 4 of these attributes on each line in an ideal world. I really think that Benning is going after players who can do certain things at this point as opposed to trying to hit home runs by acquiring star players. This explains the Sbisa signing for example. He is physical and can skate the puck. He is a good match then with a PMD, stay at home positional like Hamhuis or Corrado. It's kind of a variation on moneyball.

Its true, Benning has done a great job of shoring up the defense prospects since he started as GM, and deserves credit for that. There was a very conspicuous paucity of them previously, throughout Gillis' tenure. The prospect pool is now not only very well stocked but more balanced as well. I like what I see there, there's some really good quality guys in the system now.

Someone who followed Russian hockey on reddit mentioned that Tryamkin is basically a write off. He's poor offensively and at best average at defense, playing on bottom pairing last year. He needs to have a stellar season in the KHL this year have any shot at the NHL.

Random person who posts something negative about a prospect on reddit = fact of course.

Hoping for medium to low ranked prospects to turn into a T1D is just wishful thinking, and will not happen folks. There are only two realistic ways to get one: either trade for one like Hamilton (not really a T1D, but what the hey), or move up in the draft.

I like Jim Benning, but if he doesn't get a high potential top defensive prospect in 2016, then my respect for him will drop. If the coming season is as I expect going to be tough to watch, then we fans deserve to see some really positive action at the 2016 draft!

After 2 years in the job if Benning doesn't acquire the #1 defenceman that has eluded us for the past decade (if you count Edler and/or Bieksa as a number one that is) then you'll lose respect for him. Yup seems reasonable.

Nikita Tryamkin (20) - A BIG. BIG Russian. At 6'7", Tryamkin also looks like he has as much chance of making the NHL as Corrado but maybe in a couple of years. Chosen 66th overall in 2014 and still only 20 years old, he still has a ways to go. With the right guidance, a Chara, Myers type isn't out of the question, thanks to his height, weight and apparent nastiness in his play.

Tryamkin the next Chara? Right, and with the right guidance maybe Jordan Subban becomes the next Nicklas Lidstrom.

Tryamkin the next Chara? Right, and with the right guidance maybe Jordan Subban becomes the next Nicklas Lidstrom.

Zdeno Chara 3rd (56) 1996

Nicolas Lisdtrom 3rd (53) 1989

The difference between mediocrity and stardom for these players, is the attention they received in their development.

Somebody believed in them.

Until Benning came along, the organization would draft players and then send them to a cold hole on Earth and see if they could climb out on their own.

If they did, they'd get a look for a few games and then be thrown back into the cold hole.

Zdeno Chara 3rd (56) 1996

Nicolas Lisdtrom 3rd (53) 1989

The difference between mediocrity and stardom for these players, is the attention they received in their development.

Somebody believed in them.

Until Benning came along, the organization would draft ayers and then send them to a cold hole on Earth and see if they could climb out on their own.

If they did, they'd get a look for a few games and then be thrown back into the cold hole.

Tanev, Bieksa, Edler, Burrows, Scneider, Lack were all developed in the Canucks farm system before Benning arrived.Oops forgot Kes as well.

The 2011 Bruins defence was made up of Free Agent pick-ups and trade acquisitions.

Sure drafting is key, but it usually takes dmen 3-5 years before they're ready. We missed out on Hamilton and it really Hurts that Calgary got him. I'm boycotting Boston Pizza for that trade :frantic:

We're picking up Brent Seabrook next year's Free Agency, due to Chicago's cap problems, and their intriguing prospects plus Duncan Keith. Seabrook was overshadowed this year by Duncan Keith, which is why hes going to want more money and a chance to be a #1 Dman, and of course hes gonna come back to hometown team eh :)

dont hate me, just dreaming LOL :):):bigblush:B):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Left handed Right handed

----------------------------------------------------

A Edler C Tanev

D Hamhuis Y Weber

L Sbisa M Bartkowski

---------------------------------------------

Left handed Right handed

---------------------------------------------

B Hutton F Corrado

A Sautner J Subban

E Mceneny T Fedun

A Pedan J Blain

P Andersson B Sanguinetti

N Tryamkin A Biega

A Cedarholm

M Liberati

M Stewart

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY WISH LIST. plus stuff.

* YES Norris Trophy player NEDED !!!!! to wear the Canuck " C " in the future.

* M Stewart may become a 4th line LW , ( quoted by Bennings )

* Patrick McNally is a SJ Shark ,no longer a Canuck for those who don't know ,

* My crystal Ball has Benning looking to find another CHARA , ( Tryamkin ? ) u never know ,

* A Grenier 6 - 5 ,200 lbs ,RW, career change ( Right defense ? ) Chara factor,

* Research and Development , Canucks need to make a HERO player , it can be done ,given the right subject .( C Cassells ) ???

* Cross fingers and CANUCKs find another Russian Rocket .

* Canucks 1st line needs a BIG body guard not another scorer , RW - A Grenier 6' - 5" 200 lbs

* The future Vancouver Canucks Defense looking HUGE !!! , from Goalie out, GIANTS !!

Goalie J Markstrom 6 '- 6 " 196 lbs

N Tryamkin 6 - 7 228

N Pedan 6 - 5 215

M , Stewart 6 - 4 216

P Andersson 6 - 4 200

B Sanguinetti 6 - 3 190

It sounds good to me. I agree we need the stud guy back there though to be a really top D. Cassels is going to become a star!

Archived