The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if...

therodigy

Sorry guys. The "what if" is ambiguous and misleading, and it's causing the thread to become redundant. Apologies for not being clear.

I'm interested in seeing if there are alternatives amongst lavailable in FA or players within the minor club that would be suitable compromises Should Baertschi, Sutter, or Vey, amongst others, May not be ready for what we think are their prospective roles. If it's premature to ask at this point, so be it. I'm a fan from Toronto and haven't had the opportunity to follow along as thoroughly as I'd like to and have only read about predicted lineups and dream scenarios, but not so much about the possibility of certain players not working out. Ie I was excited about acquiring Vey initially as he was pegged as a 3C with PP capabilities, but he turned out to only have a mediocre rookie season. I'm curious to see what alternatives we have available to us should Baertschi or Sutter not live up to their expectations. That's what I meant by WHAT IF.

I hope it clears things up, and I'll adjust the title accordingly. With that said, if it's premature or redundant, I'll dig through the other threads again and try to seek discussion there. I'm a huge Canucks fan that's just trying to seek perspectives from other like minded fans.

In all seriousness, I think they are keeping certain players who can play up and down the lineup because of this uncertainty that you're talking about. Obviously, they want Baertschi to play 2LW and Horvat to play 2C and Virtanen to play top 6 etc but what if they aren't ready right away? These players are obviously developing and it may take a number of months of play to grow into what is projected as their role.

These players are: Higgins, Burrows and Hansen.

Now, nobody wants to see Higgins or Hansen in the top 6 permanently but they can fill in and not be a liability in the short term. Burrows is a more natural top 6 player but he is getting older and slowing down a little and is open to playing on whatever line he is needed. They are probably going to run with 14 forwards, the spares being Kenins and Virtanen (maybe) who will likely slot in in the bottom 6 as needed. If a top 6 player is injured, Higgins or Hansen could move up easily. Vey could move up to fill in for C and that would mean a call up from Utica to play 4C.

Call ups from Utica are Biega, Grenier, Friesen, LaBate, Jones, Cracknell

Alternate line up

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Higgins Sutter Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Burrows

Dorset Vey Prust

Kenins Virtanen

I hope this is what you were wanting to find out.

if baerschi can handle top six time then that gives some more scoring on the second line, but willie doesn't rush guys into those positions...willie likes to have each line, defensively responsible ...that is why he had higgins on the 2nd line....right now, they have burrows, higgins, sutter, horvat, hansen, dorsett and prust who are defensively responsible....i hate to say this but, they could make

more balanced lines, by splitting up the sedins...maybe, they could re-invent themselves...play them together on power plays...

i see prust and dorsett on different lines....spread the toughness around...i doubt, they rush young guys into the line up..i think, that next year, 3 more young guys could crack the line up...i could see, next year, vrbata, higgins, hansen and maybe even burrows being moved...virtanen could push vrbata out; grenier....hansen; kenins...higgins.......i could see, boeser, eventually become the first line right wing...if the sedins are split, it would be easier to move others into top six positions.

What is this love affair with a guy that Calgary gave up on?? Is everyone here thinking that Treleving, Conroy, Burke and the rest of the Calgary braintrust is totally out to lunch. How is Cangary's reject our premium prospect, ready to step into a top 6 role?

What is this love affair with a guy that Calgary gave up on?? Is everyone here thinking that Treleving, Conroy, Burke and the rest of the Calgary braintrust is totally out to lunch. How is Cangary's reject our premium prospect, ready to step into a top 6 role?

You've obviously done little to no research on this subject.

He scored 93 points in 47 games in his final season in the WHL. In 11-12 He played 5 games and scored 3 goals. Then he lit up the AHL, earning him a spot on Calgary's roster. He scored 10 points in 20 games. He would continue to score at almost half a point per game (AHL and NHL). Fast forward to last year. Baertschi is placed on the fourth line, only gets 4 assists in 15 games. He is traded to us (for Rasmus Andersson/2nd round pick) and scores PPG in Utica before making the big club and staying there.

Have you been under a rock for the last 6 months? This kid is ready.

He scored 93 points in 47 games in his final season in the WHL. In 11-12 He played 5 games and scored 3 goals. Then he lit up the AHL, earning him a spot on Calgary's roster. He scored 10 points in 20 games. He would continue to score at almost half a point per game (AHL and NHL). Fast forward to last year. Baertschi is placed on the fourth line, only gets 4 assists in 15 games. He is traded to us (for Rasmus Andersson/2nd round pick) and scores PPG in Utica before making the big club and staying there.

Not only that his point per minute production is up there with most first liners around the NHL (and without the line mates to boost his stats) - his defensive game is what is lacking and why Calgary gave up on him (plus other things we maybe don't know about).

I don't think (at least I hope not) that the poster you replied to is denying bear cheeses skill, rather like many, including the Flames brass, he's probably questioning his desire and motivation to be a consistent top 6 player.

The road to failure in the NHL is littered with players who possessed other-worldly talent and the whole tool-kit to be solid NHL'ers but who for some reason just couldn't put it all together.

The Flames made their decision for their own reasons. The Canucks are betting the other way and are hoping a change in scenery and playing for coaches who support him will put Sven back on the right path.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I don't think (at least I hope not) that the poster you replied to is denying bear cheeses skill, rather like many, including the Flames brass, he's probably questioning his desire and motivation to be a consistent top 6 player.

The road to failure in the NHL is littered with players who possessed other-worldly talent and the whole tool-kit to be solid NHL'ers but who for some reason just couldn't put it all together.

The Flames made their decision for their own reasons. The Canucks are betting the other way and are hoping a change in scenery and playing for coaches who support him will put Sven back on the right path.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Hear hear...the NHL is also littered with players who were cast-off by other teams and emerged as solid NHL'ers in their own right. It's about chemistry, pure and simple. If a so-called has-been, never-was or whatever is paired up with the right partner on-ice, then they could work magic together. It's amazing what a 3rd line player can do when given more minutes with a talented set-up man (far too many examples to list). Baertschi on the 2nd line just might net 20+ goals for him...we won't know til the season's over and the final tallies are in.

If you are going to make guys post in an existing thread each time, I would suggest that the last post appears first instead of the 1st post appearing first. Some of the threads are umpteen zillion pages long and by the end have usually gone off topic. Either that or you put a time limit on a post of say 30 days before it disappears. I am interested in current material, not material talking about a lineup of a player who is no longer with the team and I just don't have time sifting through redundant material.

I might have helped if the subject line was more substantial than "What if..."

I agree a bit with the organization, but reading backwards is a pain sometimes too (ideally, there would be a sort option?). Expiring topics isn't a bad idea actually (though 30 days might be a bit too aggressive).

Archived