The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

CME reportedly raises gold, silver futures margins

Aug. 11, 2020 5:59 PM ET

Exchange operator CME Group (NASDAQ:CME) reportedly is raising Comex gold futures initial margins by 6.9% to $10,320 per contract from $9,750 previously.

CME also is said to raise Comex silver futures margins by 15.2% to $13,250 per contract from $11,500.

The moves come after gold and silver futures plunged today.

That's one way to let the air out of the balloon.

Edited by nuckin_futz

10 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Decided screw it and bought 5 shares of Tesla this morning.. Looking forward to the 5/1 split in a few weeks. 

image.thumb.png.df786014f3bf2e9c55d32bf4ea56c271.png

Anybody else own any Tesla ? Proof only! What's your thoughts ? Long term hold ?

Way too overvalued right now. Was gonna jump in at 1300 mark with a limit sell, and it was trending that way before the split was announced lol. Will wait for the sell off into next week and try to get in around 1400-1450 if it gets that low. 

The markets and the numbers make no sense anymore.

Watching MARK for their EP.  They heat expectations by over 20% and dropped almost .23 today.  Even while rumoured to be a front runner for government money to open schools

Glad I didnt pull the trigger last night but, this isn't a new occurrence and it's totally confusing

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The markets and the numbers make no sense anymore.

Watching MARK for their EP.  They heat expectations by over 20% and dropped almost .23 today.  Even while rumoured to be a front runner for government money to open schools

Glad I didnt pull the trigger last night but, this isn't a new occurrence and it's totally confusing

Recap: Remark Holdings Q2 Earnings

7837afd0-01e7-11ea-bfb5-049300c57915
Benzinga Insights
BenzingaAugust 14, 2020

Shares of Remark Holdings (NASDAQ:MARK) were flat in pre-market trading after the company reported Q2 results.

Quarterly Results

Earnings per share decreased 266.67% year over year to ($0.11), which missed the estimate of ($0.05).

Revenue of $2,299,000 declined by 19.76% year over year, which beat the estimate of $1,310,000.

Guidance

Remark Holdings hasn't issued any earnings guidance for the time being.

They missed earnings expectations. loss of $.11 vs estimate of a loss of $.05. Revenues beat expectations but still declined 20% YoY.

No guidance means squeamish investors will jump ship.

Edited by nuckin_futz

If anyone is curious what the old man is up to ...............

Warren Buffett makes a big bet on gold

Fri 14 Aug 2020 20:31:18 GMT

Buffett bought a stake in miner Barrick Gold

Barrick Gold Warren Buffett
Warren Buffett has famously disparaged gold but evidently he's had a change of heart.

According to a Q2 13F filed today, The Oracle of Omaha added 20.9 million shares of Barrick Gold, which is the world's second largest gold miner. He paid $563.5 million for the stake, which equates to $26.95 per share and his Berkshire Hathaway owns 1.2% of the company. It was the only new company he bought in the second quarter.

The shares closed at $26.99 on Friday but jumped about $1.00 in after hours trading.

Warren Buffett

This could indicate a massive change of heart from the world's most famous investor, or one of his deputies.

His most-famous musing on gold was from back in 1998:

"(Gold) gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
As recently as 2018 he repeated his misgivings about gold.

"The magical metal was no match for the American mettle," he wrote in his annual letter while comparing the returns of both since he first invested in stocks in 1944.

Now this doesn't necessarily mean he has a new view on gold. Barrick's cash flows with gold steady at these levels are compelling (and other miners are even more compelling).  Still, expect much more interest in the space now that Warren Buffett has given it his blessing.

Other highlights from his Q2 13F:
  • Exited Occidental Petroleum, but added to Suncor Energy
  • Cut JPMorgan stake by 62%
  • Cut Mastercard stake by 7%
  • Aside from SU, only added to STOR and KR
  • Reduced WFC, SIRI, PNC, MTB, BK
  • Exited DAL, LUV, UAL, AAL, QSR, GS, OXY
In terms of the ones he reduced. In general Buffett doesn't sell shares unless he plans to sell out. However at times he has to sell to stay below ownership limits.

Overall, his investment mix doesn't exactly show confidence in the economic or stock market recovery.

31 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Recap: Remark Holdings Q2 Earnings

7837afd0-01e7-11ea-bfb5-049300c57915
Benzinga Insights
BenzingaAugust 14, 2020

Shares of Remark Holdings (NASDAQ:MARK) were flat in pre-market trading after the company reported Q2 results.

Quarterly Results

Earnings per share decreased 266.67% year over year to ($0.11), which missed the estimate of ($0.05).

Revenue of $2,299,000 declined by 19.76% year over year, which beat the estimate of $1,310,000.

Guidance

Remark Holdings hasn't issued any earnings guidance for the time being.

They missed earnings expectations. loss of $.11 vs estimate of a loss of $.05. Revenues beat expectations but still declined 20% YoY.

No guidance means squeamish investors will jump ship.

Guess I read that wrong

On 8/13/2020 at 6:30 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Way too overvalued right now. Was gonna jump in at 1300 mark with a limit sell, and it was trending that way before the split was announced lol. Will wait for the sell off into next week and try to get in around 1400-1450 if it gets that low. 

Wrong GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

haha, I do agree it's overvalued though but I will be hanging on till the split and see how the 24-48 hours go after that.

When reverse splits gets announced they are running heavy now. Hopefully Chipotle or Netflix announce one so I can load up prior.

On 6/8/2020 at 2:03 PM, inane said:

up to $86 after hours lol

image.png.730083118aa359656f01d48ed00d4970.png

On 6/8/2020 at 3:38 PM, trek said:

NKLA at $92 after hours. Crazy... Should we be looking to trim some before a potential big crash? Decisions decisions...

What a great day that was when NKLA went to $97 a share.. Feels like years ago, haha.. The good old days..

On 8/12/2020 at 8:26 PM, AriGold2.0 said:

Decided screw it and bought 5 shares of Tesla this morning.. Looking forward to the 5/1 split in a few weeks. 

image.thumb.png.df786014f3bf2e9c55d32bf4ea56c271.png

Anybody else own any Tesla ? Proof only! What's your thoughts ? Long term hold ?

I got 13 yesterday a bit higher than I wanted.  Had problems getting money in my account to buy with, finally called my investment guy and he explained the steps.  I am in for the long haul though.  This is one that I put money in and I will just let it sit there for the next 3-5 years and see what comes of it.  It'll be interesting to see post split what happens with the valuation.  Will it go up and match my overall percentage?  Who knows but come back in 5 years and we'll see how its done. 

Edited by Russ

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I got 13 yesterday a bit higher than I wanted.  Had problems getting money in my account to buy with, finally called my investment guy and he explained the steps.  I am in for the long haul though.  This is one that I put money in and I will just let it sit there for the next 3-5 years and see what comes of it.  It'll be interesting to see post split what happens with the valuation.  Will it go up and match my overall percentage?  Who knows but come back in 5 years and we'll see how its done. 

"If you're a long term investor, missing Tesla will be the greatest mistake you've ever made" 

On 8/3/2020 at 9:30 AM, Duodenum said:

I only had* MARA, 0.92 average. Sold at 4.15.

NAK might have found it's bottom. There's a massive bid at 1.55. In at 1.56 with stop at 1.535.

Still in VOLT, 1.38 average, nearly got stopped out yesterday. 

Still holding HTGM, looking for 1+

Back in NOVN, 0.61 average. 200SMA is 0.60, floor around 0.52...should go up from here or dip slightly further. 

Holding SPAQ, ONTX full

NAK sold for tiny loss

VOLT sold for large gain

HTGM, stop lossed out, small gain

NOVN stop lossed out, midsize loss

SPAQ, ONTX still holding. 

Bad week for bio, vaccine stocks. Most fell out of their upward channels and/or dropped below 200 SMAs. 

Expect ONTX to continue to bleed, might see .80s. Holding in case PR, don't want to miss it by exiting and re-entering. Will add to position if it sees .80s. 

SPAQ will gain steam later. 

Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (INO) - https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/INO/

Things I like..

1. Chart has bottomed out and is coming back up.

2. They have a bunch of catalysts coming which will also drive the price up.

3. All the big institutional investors. Blackrock, Vanguard, J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sach etc.

My plan.. I will make a purchase with 1/3 the total money I want to use to use on Monday. Then I plan to average down or maybe up to get more traction. Hold wont be a long one for me. 1-2 weeks most likely.

Recently Inovio gave us a clearer picture of how INO-4800 performed in its first human trial.

All 38 vaccinated volunteers showed a measurable immune response to vaccination. Ninety-five percent showed seroconversion, meaning their bodies produced binding and/or neutralizing antibodies. Almost 90% showed strong T cell responses. Inovio proudly pointed out that these cell responses were stronger than seen in convalescent samples or in other vaccine candidates.

These data look great, although still incomplete. However, the company reports that we should see a full report very soon when it’s published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

What’s next for Inovio beyond a complete published report is further data. The company expanded the Phase 1 trial to 80 patients, all of whom enrolled in mid-July. We could hear about them soon.

Moreover, the company is in discussions with the FDA to launch a Phase 2/3 trial. These talks should wrap up very soon, with Inovio planning to launch a large pivotal trial next month. That would put Inovio among a select group of vaccine developers to reach this stage.

It’s also quite likely that Inovio would be in line to receive additional funding, possibly from Operation Warp Speed, the U.S. vaccine crash development funding program, once it makes a complete report and/or announces the launch of a pivotal trial.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason for the most recently slide...

Analysts cut their stock price target for Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc. to $16 from $24 on Tuesday, after the company posted a wider-than-expected second-quarter loss and revenue that fell short of estimates. Inovio is one of many companies working to develop a COVID-19 vaccine candidate. The numbers and the call "left us (again) with more questions than answers on numerous fronts," analysts led by Stephen Willey wrote in a note to clients. These include disclosure timelines for the trial of the company's COVID-19 vaccine candidate, INO-4800.

The company reported a second-quarter loss of $128.7 million, or 83 cents a share, compared with a loss of $29.4 million, or 30 cents a share, in the year-ago period.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://schrts.co/BQAfnzzY

Check out this chart, it's bottomed out! Time for the uptick!

image.thumb.png.1b185d0aa685b7b6daf432e2a567bbd3.pngimage.thumb.png.6a8f75ae7f46b09adb39e80eed7f75bc.png

Edited by AriGold2.0