The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Walk in clinic/Doctor's note help!

Sly_Paragon

Doctor's note? Why are they treating you like a child?

Some employers are weirder than others. I injured my back bad in a car accident earlier this year, and was unable to work for the next two weeks before being put on light duties. I still needed a doctors note for that.

Some employers are weirder than others. I injured my back bad in a car accident earlier this year, and was unable to work for the next two weeks before being put on light duties. I still needed a doctors note for that.

It is reasonable to ask for a note if you are missing two weeks. Not if you are missing one day.

Does anyone in Van know of a walk in clinic that gives out doctors notes? I need one for calling in sick. How much are they? Are they cheap? I haven't gotten one before. Need help.

Can I get a note without a check up? If they do a check up does it cost anything? Havent gone to the doctors in a long time.

You must call in sick quite a bit for your employer to want evidence for a one-day absence?

Nope. Been working there for 5 months now first time calling in sick.

i call shenanigans unless there is a history of other issues that have involved disciplinary actions.

Most employers will require a note for multiple missed days. Or if someone frequently calls in sick.

But I could be wrong and you work for a very strict employer or maybe they just don't believe you.?

i call shenanigans unless there is a history of other issues that have involved disciplinary actions.

Most employers will require a note for multiple missed days. Or if someone frequently calls in sick.

But I could be wrong and you work for a very strict employer or maybe they just don't believe you.?

Agreed. Just go to work sick as a dog and spread the bug around then. My work does the same thing anyways. It's common practice for many employers to ask for a note for a sickness lasting longer than a few days. However, if you have history of abusing sick days, then they should by all means ask for proof. If you at least make an attempt to go to work and end having to leave after a few hours you are showing that you aren't abusing the system.

My workplace if you're sick for longer than 2 days per stretch you need a doctor's note. They also count how many times in a year that your sick.

Some companies are just more stuck up than some. It's probably because we get paid 100% on our sick days up to 15 days, and they don't want staff treating them like extra days off.

I'll try to find a source for this, but I remember reading that New Bruswick (or maybe Nova Scotia) was going to charge the employer, not the employee for the sick notes. In an attept to reduce the requirement for sick notes.

Essentially, if your work place has trust/integrity issues and employees are suspected of misusing sick days, it's not the medical system's problem.

Edit: Ahh, my mistake. It was one practice, not a provice wide policy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-doctor-to-charge-employers-for-sick-notes-1.2814139

Never really had an employer that required doctors notes if you were sick...unless you happened to be a problem employee or were constantly missing time.

Not saying that is you OP, but you may have the misfortune of reaping the "rewards" of past shenanigans by former employees. They might have been burned before and now everyone is going to pay for it. No pun intended.

Archived