The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) shipping vets out now rather than later

clearly when our youngster all show up at camp hungry for spots and out play vets its time to really pull the cord on the core

higgins for islanders 3rd rounder

hansen for jets 2nd rounder

vrbata and hamhuis to pens for pouliot retain 2.25 and 2.5 mill on their contracts pens go on crazy cup run with that depth

sedin sedin burrows

baertchi horvat virtanen

kenins sutter gaunce

prust mccann dorsett

vey

edler pouliot

sbisa tanev

bartoski hutton

corrado

miller

markstrom

We keep Vrbata and Hammer until the deadline. Trade em for firsts. Prust, Bartkowski, Vey, and Weber will likely be going in February too. Wouldn't be surprised if Sbisa and Corrado are headed that way, and if Markstrom usurps Miller as #1, Miller will be gone. Baertschi may get traded if he doesn't perform well. Burrows could go as well.

Keep Hansen for now. He's one of our fastest and one of those 'quiet leader' types. He's a good vet to keep around.

But trade Higgins and Corrado, and carry 14 forwards.

Essentially, you'll have a lineup like this:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Gaunce-Horvat-Vrbata

Baertschi-Sutter-Dorsett

Virtanen-McCann-Hansen

Prust, Vey

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Hutton-Bartkowski

Weber

Miller/Markstrom

Markstrom/Miller

And after the deadline:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Gaunce-Horvat-Virtanen

Baertschi-Sutter-Hansen

Grenier-McCann-Dorsett

Vey

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Sbisa

Bartkowski-Subban

Weber

Markstrom/Miller

Miler/Markstrom

ok fair nuff lets hear your ideas on what return we can get for any of the vets pears

You are just not going to get rid of them it takes 2 GM's to make a trade. Look at the UFA's this year that no one bit on trying out for PTO'S, money is tight. Deadline is the time to trade but if the Canucks are in the hunt to make the playoffs i don't think anybody will be traded.

ok fair nuff lets hear your ideas on what return we can get for any of the vets pears

Everyone gets traded except for Dane Fox and Ronalds Kenins. Fox and Kenins will have TOI of 60 minutes after everyone gets traded.

Why? Apparently, Kenins = superstar; Fox >>>>>>> Drouin. Quote me on this, says the dude canuktravella.

Seriously, there isn't a market for any 30 to 34 yo hockey players right now. The 2015-2016 season will be remembered for a new wave of 20-24 year olds playing at league minimums and/or ELC and weeding out of the 3rd/4th line middle agers.

IMO, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen (though he's 'only' 29), Vrbata, Prust, Miller fall into the category of the 30-somethings that are getting weeded out. There might be the off-chance that any of these players will have any real value at trade deadline (only because GMs go full-on irrational at that time of the year). The only vet with any real value come TDL will probably be Dan Hamhuis. And my guess is that he'll fetch nothing more than a middle 2nd round pick.

The best thing that I'm hoping for is that Gaunce, McCann, Virtanen, Cassels, Shinkaruk, Hutton, Pedan and Corrado develop well enough and that by shear organic attrition, the vets will be replaced over the course of this season and next. If the JB/TL can procure some draft picks out of Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Vrbata, Prust, Miller, Hamhuis, it will be a bonus.

Everyone gets traded except for Dane Fox and Ronalds Kenins. Fox and Kenins will have TOI of 60 minutes after everyone gets traded.

Why? Apparently, Kenins = superstar; Fox >>>>>>> Drouin. Quote me on this, says the dude canuktravella.

Seriously, there isn't a market for any 30 to 34 yo hockey players right now. The 2015-2016 season will be remembered for a new wave of 20-24 year olds playing at league minimums and/or ELC and weeding out of the 3rd/4th line middle agers.

IMO, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen (though he's 'only' 29), Vrbata, Prust, Miller fall into the category of the 30-somethings that are getting weeded out. There might be the off-chance that any of these players will have any real value at trade deadline (only because GMs go full-on irrational at that time of the year). The only vet with any real value come TDL will probably be Dan Hamhuis. And my guess is that he'll fetch nothing more than a middle 2nd round pick.

The best thing that I'm hoping for is that Gaunce, McCann, Virtanen, Cassels, Shinkaruk, Hutton, Pedan and Corrado develop well enough and that by shear organic attrition, the vets will be replaced over the course of this season and next. If the JB/TL can procure some draft picks out of Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Vrbata, Prust, Miller, Hamhuis, it will be a bonus.

Well Hold on to your Hat, but I agree with you know.

Which brings me to my point last year, that we should have traded these players then.............

What pains me more than anything is the wasted value we spent on that playoff run.....the fact is I and a select few on here were saying " make the trades"!

The rest of you sods were saying "NO!" we are a playoff team, well it's a pay me now or pay me later senerio, and guess what, we will be one year later in our rebuild, and now we can't give those vets away.......

So, if you are right and we can't give them away now, I ask you should we have traded our vets last year?

Just for the record, it is not that I didn't agree with you in your arguments, but you and others just didn't see this coming!

And you question our hockey knowledge.

I still think there are some trades to be made, but..........they will not return as much, and if our vets look as bad as they have so far, it will be much less

2014-2015 Deadline deals that should have happened

Matthais was a late 2nd............is gone

Richardson was a 3rd...............is gone

Vrbata was a late first or 2 seconds is a 2nd or 3rd depending on his season

Higgins was a 3rd rounder is a 4th

Hamhuis+ a 4th is worth a late 1st and 3rd................but that is about it!

Hamhuis and Vrbata is worth a late 1st and 2nd if Vrbata produces

We will see..............But ........it appears, we weren't wrong

Injuries are a part of the game, it makes no sense to ship out all the vets as with injuries and call ups we will see what we really have.

Out of our vets I would give up Hammer rather than Verbby. Hammer does not win the corner puck battles, lost a step skating wise, doesnt qb our PP, scored like 2 goals in the past 3 years and is injury prone. At least Verbby can still shoot the puck and is our only offensive goal scorer. The rest like bigbadnucks have said will happen through attrition.

Considering it would be a surprise to those in the hockey world if any of the above mentioned players are moved even by this year's trade deadline I am not sure what kind of return those players could get, because they will remain Canucks.

Nothing wrong with injecting youth into the lineup at a realistic pace as opposed to assuming 5 youngsters outplayed 5 vets in Camp and therefore should take their jobs lol.

Last I checked Higgins is still injured, you don't lose your role because of injury - you afford those trying to earn a role a better opportunity to show their game and develop at a higher level.

I fully expect Hamhuis to re-sign in Vancouver, Vrbata may prefer to move on, but that doesn't mean the team will trade him come the deadline.

so fa drouin hasnt done anythung in nhl so ya fox will be on canucks in a yr or two and kenins was our only rugged winger other than dorsett last yr we need to maximize a bunch of vets return at deadline

Considering it would be a surprise to those in the hockey world if any of the above mentioned players are moved even by this year's trade deadline I am not sure what kind of return those players could get, because they will remain Canucks.

Nothing wrong with injecting youth into the lineup at a realistic pace as opposed to assuming 5 youngsters outplayed 5 vets in Camp and therefore should take their jobs lol.

Last I checked Higgins is still injured, you don't lose your role because of injury - you afford those trying to earn a role a better opportunity to show their game and develop at a higher level.

I fully expect Hamhuis to re-sign in Vancouver, Vrbata may prefer to move on, but that doesn't mean the team will trade him come the deadline.

you trade assets at deadline why would we resign hamhuis he got one goal last yr sorry but making 4.5 mill doesnt cut it hes gone at deadline your crazy if you think benning will keep him

so fa drouin hasnt done anythung in nhl so ya fox will be on canucks in a yr or two and kenins was our only rugged winger other than dorsett last yr we need to maximize a bunch of vets return at deadline

Drouin put up 0.45PPG playing on Tampa's 4th line...

you trade assets at deadline why would we resign hamhuis he got one goal last yr sorry but making 4.5 mill doesnt cut it hes gone at deadline your crazy if you think benning will keep him

Hamhuis's role on the team isn't to be producing points. He's a defensive defenseman, his job is to shut down the other teams super stars. He wasn't selected for the Olympic team to score goals....

Back to your proposal, I'd only ship one or two players at deadline, where their value is maximized. Shipping out all the vets only makes us one step closer to the Oilers pre-McDavid. Rookies that must fight for, and earn a roster spot >>>> A bunch of spoiled rookies who were given roster spots (Oilers)

Also, you want to get rid of Higgins, Hansen and Hamhuis... That would DECIMATE our penalty kill. Do you even know how good our penalty kill was last year?

Well Hold on to your Hat, but I agree with you know.

Which brings me to my point last year, that we should have traded these players then.............

What pains me more than anything is the wasted value we spent on that playoff run.....the fact is I and a select few on here were saying " make the trades"!

The rest of you sods were saying "NO!" we are a playoff team, well it's a pay me now or pay me later senerio, and guess what, we will be one year later in our rebuild, and now we can't give those vets away.......

So, if you are right and we can't give them away now, I ask you should we have traded our vets last year?

Just for the record, it is not that I didn't agree with you in your arguments, but you and others just didn't see this coming!

And you question our hockey knowledge.

I still think there are some trades to be made, but..........they will not return as much, and if our vets look as bad as they have so far, it will be much less

2014-2015 Deadline deals that should have happened

Matthais was a late 2nd............is gone

Richardson was a 3rd...............is gone

Vrbata was a late first or 2 seconds is a 2nd or 3rd depending on his season

Higgins was a 3rd rounder is a 4th

Hamhuis+ a 4th is worth a late 1st and 3rd................but that is about it!

Hamhuis and Vrbata is worth a late 1st and 2nd if Vrbata produces

We will see..............But ........it appears, we weren't wrong

Check out penny-trader here^^^^with his "I told you so" post. LOL.

Archived