The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Being a Canuck in Toronto.

Bavley33

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Weird, I live in Toronto and wear my canucks hat all the time, and have never got harrassed about it. Teased, sure. But I think you're coming off a little sensitive.

I find merch all the time at sports shops, sportchek, etc.. And I know plenty of canuck fans around here. You must be from a pretty rough area.

I'm in India right now, which is a 12.5 hour time difference from Vancouver. When I'm here I usually have to watch the games in the morning, but if I'm going to work, I'll usually power through it during a lunch break.

8 months of the year I'm home in Vancouver, but the rest of the year I travel on business. When I'm away, I'm sure to check highlights, watch pre/post game videos...and yes, waste countless hours on these very forums.

I applaud your commitment to the team, despite the recent struggles (especially after the 2011 drop-off). True loyalty is rewarded as all patience is (hopefully), and I along with the rest of Canuck nation, hope to share the joy of a Stanley Cup one day! Until then, enjoy the process, support our team, and keep well!

Ottawa here and an Ontario born Canucks fan since 1991-92 People are often puzzled why I became a Canucks fan but the answer is simple: Pavel Bure.

The late nights are brutal but on the plus side my wife is pretty much always in bed so I rarely have other demands on my time or tv that conflict with the game.

Gamecenter Live is probably the best money I have ever spent.

I'm surprised you found Toronto to be Canuck-friendly during that run...everyone I knew around Toronto was eating up the anti-Canucks slop like it was candy.

Canucks swag is easy to find in Toronto...especially at the discount places. You can get great cheap stuff all over the place, you just have to dig down deep into the bargain bins (like Dave Nonis at Free Agency)

Just today at a place on Queen West they had some cool stick-in-rink hats with ear flaps for $10!

I live in Hamilton where the Bulldogs used to be so the area is largely split between either hard core leaf fans or hard Core Habs. It sucks but I think it might die down in the coming years because the Bulldogs are gone now.

I'm in India right now, which is a 12.5 hour time difference from Vancouver. When I'm here I usually have to watch the games in the morning, but if I'm going to work, I'll usually power through it during a lunch break.

8 months of the year I'm home in Vancouver, but the rest of the year I travel on business. When I'm away, I'm sure to check highlights, watch pre/post game videos...and yes, waste countless hours on these very forums.

I applaud your commitment to the team, despite the recent struggles (especially after the 2011 drop-off). True loyalty is rewarded as all patience is (hopefully), and I along with the rest of Canuck nation, hope to share the joy of a Stanley Cup one day! Until then, enjoy the process, support our team, and keep well!

God... 12 and a half hours?! You make my 3 hours look like a piece of cake. I think you re the person to be applauded

I live in Toronto and I never notice anyone really getting harassed for sporting opposing teams colours. And as much as it can bother, the Canucks really don't get a lot of coverage. Games are late and most people don't care.

That being said when the Canucks come into the ACC every year there is pretty good support. It's not like in Vancouver where it basically becomes a Leaf home game but there are a noticeable amount of blue and green wearing fans. And I don't get hassled. Nobody really does. Leafs fans are even more corporate than Rogers Arena so generally well behaved.

been a canucks fan for 20 years.. most of my life. i live in london ontario, cant stand the leafs

I've lived in Vancouver all my years, and can't stand the Leafs either. I have liked some of their players though. Keon was my Favorite, when I was young. Then I thought Sitler was great too. Then came Salming, Clark, and Gilmor. I hated the Leafs, and thought these guys would have been better on the team I cheered for.

I first started watching the Canucks in 2010-2011 -Stanley cup final year. I had moved to Canada a couple years back and was eager to fit in and get into popular things like other people and friends at school.

So when the my whole class (with the exception of that one kid nobody liked) was cheering for the Canucks in the finals, i did too. I know you might think I'm a bandwagon but, after that year all my friends went back to their regular favourite teams, like the leafs, canadiens. But i fell in love with the Canucks and I've been following them ever since.

Only thing is, it wasn't till i really started getting addicted to them that i would realize just how terrible of a choice i chose. No, not because of failures, sweeps etc. but because I live in Toronto, 3 hours ahead of Vancouver. That means i had to stay up till 1 AM, 4-5 times a week, then wake up at 5 for school. Yeah.

Of course, I didn't think much of this until it really started to show. I was getting bad grades, i wasn't getting homework done, i was sleeping in school but worst of all, i wasn't socializing anymore. Whenever I would be at some party or birthday and their was a Canucks game at the time i would be at the party, but not really there. My soul was still in Vancouver. So thats one problem that anybody can point out about being a Canuck fan in Toronto.

Another thing I've really hated about living in Leafs territory is the merch. Finding Canuck merch here in Toronto is like finding a needle in a haystack, if you knew where exactly that haystack was in ontario. So whenever i would come across a Canuck merch i would buy it immediately. No questions asked, who knew when the next time i would find one would be. Now you could say why don't you just buy stuff online? I have on countless occasions, but having the shirt in your hand and fitting that hat on your head is a lot different than clicking some buttons.

Finally, and most importantly, being a Canuck fan can be really dangerous in one of the biggest fan bases in the NHL. I have at times feared harassment from leaf fans, both physically and mentally. When wearing my merch, I could be giving dirty looks from people i don't even know, i could be yelled at or sometimes even purposefully bumped into to. Their are countless examples (which you can look up) of leaf fans physically harassing other fans.

This is why i have chosen not to rep my merch when going to leaf games.

So in conclusion, I believe that being a Canuck fan in leafs territory is especially hard. Difference in times and late start times can lead to 3 or 4 hours of sleep some nights. Merchandise is always geared towards leafs fans so I would be lucky to find any Canucks merchandise. Finally, harassment from other leaf fans can be really though and force you to stop representing your team.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I made a Canucks opening montage down below. So if you would like to check that out that would be appreciated and as well, if you live outside of Vancity and are a Canucks fan, how is your experience?

Make sure to like and share!

You should look into buying an online NHL membership, this way you can watch the games on your terms at a time which suits you.

However, you need to lock social media and websites away until you watch the game.

You should look into buying an online NHL membership, this way you can watch the games on your terms at a time which suits you.

However, you need to lock social media and websites away until you watch the game.

I think, when you finish school, you should get your ass out of the GTA and move to the GVRD. We have a lot more things about people to pick on than their hockey sweater:)

As soon as I finish school IM OUT OF HERE. I'm hoping to move to the west coast but i haven't planned anything yet.

Good for you. You will love ou winters, providing you don't mind rain over cold and snow. Plus, "we are all Canucks".

Archived