The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Slight line juggle might help?

Matt_T83

So I know we're doing well after 4 games, and this is more of a philosophical question.

I never really payed attention to small details of line compositions, but after hearing the rumors that the Sedins would rather not play with Vrbata (they'd rather play with a good forechecker), I got thinking about line combos.

The Baert/Horvat/Vrbata line isn't off to a great start, and they don't have a solid forechecker. Someone made a thread about "2nd line forechecker?". It really shouldnt' be the centreman, so it has to be a winger.

Now our team does have two good forecheckers in Burrows and Hansen, but they're both on the 3rd line (which is playing great, by the way). But is it wasting resources to have them both on the same line? Maybe a more balanced approach would be better:

Burrows-McCann-Vrbata

Baert-Horvat-Hansen

McCann is playing amazingly, in my opinion. He's got great vision, and he could definitely set up Vrbata for some huge goals.

Any thoughts on balancing out forecheckers?

The other answer would be to trade Vrbata and put Virtanen with Baert/Horvat, but I don't see that happening this early in the season :S.

I agree with this idea. Kind of feel a little bad for Vrbata, no one wants to play with him (hehe) Well, maybe that's a stretch. But it would be nice to have a mix of grit, skill and speed on each line, regardless of how old the player is. IMO they all deserve to be on the team, but I have a feeling McCann may be sent back to Jrs once Higgins returns.

I thought Burrows played great with the Sedins again against LA. He just fits there.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (skill and grit)

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen (skill, speed and grit)

Higgins - Sutter - Dorsett (speed and grit)

Prust - Cracknell - Hansen (speed and grit)

McCann first callup

trade Vrbata for a 1st rounder (not that I don't like him as a player, just don't know where he fits)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

But if things change, I'd love to see Baertshi-Horvat-Virtanen reunited. All this no Vrbata with the Sedins doesn't make sense to me, those 3 were gold last year when they were together, and Vrbata doesn't seem to fit in with anyone else.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Hansen-Sutter-Burrows

Baertshi-Horvat-Virtanen

Dorsett-Cracknell-Prust

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

But if things change, I'd love to see Baertshi-Horvat-Virtanen reunited. All this no Vrbata with the Sedins doesn't make sense to me, those 3 were gold last year when they were together, and Vrbata doesn't seem to fit in with anyone else.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Hansen-Sutter-Burrows

Baertshi-Horvat-Virtanen

Dorsett-Cracknell-Prust

They are gold on the power play. They were bad in the later part of last season and playoffs 5 on 5

but... it's broken.

they won games because of Miller. They don't win games because they iced the right roster.

In my book Baert need to let his place to virtanen, and McCann should be back in the lineup.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Virtanen Horvat Vrbata

Sutter McCann Hansen

Dorsett Cracknell Prust

but... it's broken.

they won games because of Miller. They don't win games because they iced the right roster.

In my book Baert need to let his place to virtanen, and McCann should be back in the lineup.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Virtanen Horvat Vrbata

Sutter McCann Hansen

Dorsett Cracknell Prust

Looks like you tossed the names up in the air and placed them where they fell.

I honestly don't understand why every year the canucks insist on moving Burrows off the Sedin line and every year except his one bad year he shows why he is the best fit there. Do they do it to get the other lines going?

Still waiting on Baer-Horvat-Virtanen line, I understand the reluctance to have 3 rookies together on the same line. But, I think 10 combined points in the single preseason game they played together warrants at least a glance during the regular season.

I agree with this idea. Kind of feel a little bad for Vrbata, no one wants to play with him (hehe) Well, maybe that's a stretch. But it would be nice to have a mix of grit, skill and speed on each line, regardless of how old the player is. IMO they all deserve to be on the team, but I have a feeling McCann may be sent back to Jrs once Higgins returns.

I thought Burrows played great with the Sedins again against LA. He just fits there.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (skill and grit)

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen (skill, speed and grit)

Higgins - Sutter - Dorsett (speed and grit)

Prust - Cracknell - Hansen (speed and grit)

McCann first callup

trade Vrbata for a 1st rounder (not that I don't like him as a player, just don't know where he fits)

Yeah 33 goals in a season is a burden we don't need.

As for his 32 assists, he's obviously a poison on any line he plays on.

Still waiting on Baer-Horvat-Virtanen line, I understand the reluctance to have 3 rookies together on the same line. But, I think 10 combined points in the single preseason game they played together warrants at least a glance during the regular season.

You'd think, but what if they played well... WD may be in a hole then. Lol

Archived