The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to trade for a top defenceman ?

falcons

Hamilton has been a turd so far with Calgary, just maybe he was overrated by a lot of people. The Oilers skated around him like a pylon last night.

Writing off people a week into the season when they join a new team is a very bad idea. But to each their own. Baertschi must be a bust as well. Waive him right?

1297643475464_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

I'm with the people that wanna sign this kid up. Do what you can, trade edler, shink, hamhuis, vrbata, picks (obv not all but these are guys we'd be willing) and finally draft a projected top 3 drat pick defencemen. Think of it in the terms of how we got the sedins on our team. Give up some current talent and our pick for exactly what we're looking for.

If only it were that easy to acquire an elite defenceman.

I remember back in the summer of 2005 we had an opportunity to sign Scott Niedermayer but management at the time stated that they'd prefer to sign Markus Naslund instead (due to the limited cap at the time). As much as I liked Naslund, imagine what could have been if we'd signed Niedermayer instead? Or if we'd drafted Shea Weber?

I hope the current regime can draft and develop an elite defenceman. I doubt we'll acquire one through a trade.

If only it were that easy to acquire an elite defenceman.

I remember back in the summer of 2005 we had an opportunity to sign Scott Niedermayer but management at the time stated that they'd prefer to sign Markus Naslund instead (due to the limited cap at the time). As much as I liked Naslund, imagine what could have been if we'd signed Niedermayer instead? Or if we'd drafted Shea Weber?

I hope the current regime can draft and develop an elite defenceman. I doubt we'll acquire one through a trade.

Benning has stated that he looks forward to this year's draft 2 years ago. And we have the potential to acquire a lot of pucks for this draft. I'm thinking that some more top end dmen are going to be joining our prospect pool soon.

Maybe they will let him go but he's worth way more than $2M no matter how you slice it. They canned Bieksa for getting a little old. I think it would be a mistake to let Hamhuis go if they can keep him for $4M.

Hamhuis is only making 4.5 and he was a number 2 d-man when we signed him. He won't get an offer more that 3.5-3.8 from the Canucks. If he goes to free agency some dumb team will give him 5 mill. But i don't see hammer going that way cause he wants to play at home

Maybe they will let him go but he's worth way more than $2M no matter how you slice it. They canned Bieksa for getting a little old. I think it would be a mistake to let Hamhuis go if they can keep him for $4M.

^^^This

Hamhuis is only making 4.5 and he was a number 2 d-man when we signed him. He won't get an offer more that 3.5-3.8 from the Canucks. If he goes to free agency some dumb team will give him 5 mill. But i don't see hammer going that way cause he wants to play at home

The cap was lower when we signed him, and his contract was seen as a steal at the time.

Well, at the end of the year, Dustin Byfuglien is available through free agency (assuming he doesnt sign an extension soon).

If so, is he worth a 6-7 million dollar cap hit ?

He is massive, is right handed ( we have a need for right handed D) and he is relatively interchangeable as a defenceman and a winger (though we don't need right wingers at the moment).

On the negative side, i haven't seen him much since he played for Chicago and his defensive play was good but not stellar back then. What says CDC ?

Archived