The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to trade for a top defenceman ?

falcons

Price would be to high. If he was available for 2 2nds I'd do the deal.

Hmmmm... That MIIIIGHT be worth it if he didn't have a high salary. It would be great to have Chara in the lineup, even an aging Chara, but if it means a huge cap hit AND giving up good prospects... I dunno. We just ran Bieksa out of town for having the same issues Chara has...

If the kid line works well tomorrow and keeps playing great moving forward. Should we keep the rookies with the team, look at moving a veteran player or two and maybe a draft pick for a stud defenceman that has decent shot from the point and can make good passes out of the d zone ?

Like who ? Our top D man is Edler.

Teams do just love to give away top D-men for cheap.  I swear sometimes people think a GMs thought process goes:  "Boy this guy is having a great year, I wonder if the Canucks will give me some scraps for him if I take on some of their Salary issues."

We are entering the full rebuild as the Sedins wind down their careers.  If we are going to get a top D-man it will be through the draft.  Acquiring draft picks is the best strategy.  May be a few young guys that haven't broken through that could be available for a price, the Jared Tinordi types but again teams don't like to give those away.  Best situation is somewhat like what happened with Yandle, trading Hamhuis to a team that is making a push for the cup and getting a solid prospect (DuClair in the case of Yandle) and maybe a draft pick.

I feel like the only way to get a top pairing dman is through the draft now. No one is going to move a coveted number 1 defenseman, especially in this NHL. 

#comeundonforchychrun. 

The Boston Bruins and Dougie Hamilton say 'Hi'. This literally just happened a few months ago.

its quite sad we've never really recovered from the lost of Christian Ehroff, we are loaded with guys "capable" of playing in a top pairing role, but offensively, they are just not as good. 

I still fantasize about the day we land a true top number 1 dman.   Wishful thinking that we can nab one with a later pick anytime soon, sure Keith and Weber were from second round picks, but they were drafting 12 years ago, since then no one was lucky enough, well Montreal landed Subban with a second, but that is also extremely rare, even more rare then a Crosby coming into the league.

teams gotta develop our own, at this point Hutton is on his way to becoming a top pairing dman, but still.

Hamilton is borderline at best. He's not quite a top defenceman yet, cost a lot to acquire and was only being moved to begin with because of issues with chemistry amongst his teammates (to put it nicely).

totally agree with this.

I personally don't even think he is that great, he's more like a refined version of Cody Franson if you ask me.  He's a fine big and tall and offensive dman, but not super tough, he's ok, but not nasty like Chara or Weber type.  He was quite sloppy the other night against Calgary also and when we play the Flames, Hamilton does not stand out as their best dman.

I feel like the only way to get a top pairing dman is through the draft now. No one is going to move a coveted number 1 defenseman, especially in this NHL. 

exactly.  The last big name dman to enter UFA was none other then Ryan Suter.  Most of these players stick around and sign big with their clubs.  Only way is too really tank, I really wouldn't mind doing that, as bad as it sounds.  I recall the 2011 Vancouver Canucks and they were so good back then because the defence was able to play excellent defence while able to turn a defensive play into offensive chances. Corsi for the Vancouver Canucks defencemens were off the charts for 2011.  If Keith Ballard is your bottom pairing you know,  you have a powerful defence. 

If, and it's a big if, the canucks go all in for a young defenseman with good potential, their best shot will probably be trying to pry Murray out of Columbus. He was a number 2 overall, but has struggled with injuries and the Columbus defense is in shambles right now so that helps lower his value a bit. Columbus needs to make playoffs this year and do something positive, so I could see Columbus trading him for more proven help on defense (edler or hamhuis), an almost nhl ready winger prospect (shink,  Grenier, or jensen), and a draft pick that depends on which prospect is given up. The draft pick could easily be recouped by offing Higgins and/or Vrbata before the deadline. A rhd would be more beneficial, but good luck getting a good one without drastically overpaying.  

Most other young defense options would cost too much and we don't need to pick up someone older like Chara. 

Almost always have to draft those guys.

Hutton looks pretty damn good right out of the gate. Could see him developing into a Shattenkirk-like player. But even then, that's more of a #2.

Now this may sound crazy, but how about using 1st and/or 2nd round picks on D-men? We haven't picked one higher than the 3rd round since Yann frickin Sauve!

Archived