The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to trade for a top defenceman ?

falcons

Definitely agree with those who say we need to draft/sign/develop our own guys rather than make a trade for a top pairing D.  The cost for these trades is just too high and this team isn't exactly flush with the good young assets that tend to be required to pull off such a trade.

Also we're just not really at the point where adding a key guy would really put us over the top for a Stanley Cup run (if we were I could support paying those kinds of prices for a chance at a championship).

Obviously, there are exceptions, and trades like the one where we picked up Ehrhoff back in the day are ones you always make if/when they arise.  But those are once in a lifetime (or tenure anyway) opportunities for any regime so it's best not to count on that happening anytime soon for Linden/Benning.

What I would really like to see more of, however, is Benning looking to acquire some high upside undrafted players via college and euro league free agency.  This was one of the strengths of the Gillis regime and while Benning hasn't been inactive in this area, he also hasn't exactly "set the world on fire" (at least to-date) with his acquisition of those "free prospect" types.

We all remember that this is how we got Tanev (who has now developed into a true NHL top pairing D, albeit not a "stud #1D" type) and I think it's worthwhile to keep "going back to the well" and seeing what else we might draw from the college FA ranks.  And there are always some promising offensive-minded Ds available through the European leagues free agency system (if your pro scouting is good enough to find them before the other NHL clubs pounce).

And of course, there's the draft and hopefully Benning and the amateur scouts can make smart early round choices and also find some good value picks, such that we have enough guys with upside in the system that the percentages predict one or two will eventually develop into legitimate top pairing Ds.  We're not there yet, but I think Benning will continue to build the pool and better the odds.

But as long as management keeps working at it (and avoids transactions that bleed away value-- please, JB, PLEASE! ;)), we should hopefully be able to acquire and develop our own guys in-house, rather than spending assets through trades (which are almost always overpayments, especially when you're talking about acquiring a top defenseman).

Almost always have to draft those guys.

Hutton looks pretty damn good right out of the gate. Could see him developing into a Shattenkirk-like player. But even then, that's more of a #2.

Now this may sound crazy, but how about using 1st and/or 2nd round picks on D-men? We haven't picked one higher than the 3rd round since Yann frickin Sauve!

Yup Yann put an end to that...I am all for picking a sure thing D. in the early first round but Chychrun is out of reach so who?

Olli?

Looking on the market if Vancouver was serious about making a push for an elite defensemen they would be in on Byfuglien.  He's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year yes, but honestly he's the best guy to build onto the team.  He brings a shot, physicality and a lot on top of what they lack.  Just my two cents on the matter.  Otherwise, you're filtering with players with too high a cap hit at an advanced age like Chara.  

totally agree with this.

I personally don't even think he is that great, he's more like a refined version of Cody Franson if you ask me.  He's a fine big and tall and offensive dman, but not super tough, he's ok, but not nasty like Chara or Weber type.  He was quite sloppy the other night against Calgary also and when we play the Flames, Hamilton does not stand out as their best dman.

exactly.  The last big name dman to enter UFA was none other then Ryan Suter.  Most of these players stick around and sign big with their clubs.  Only way is too really tank, I really wouldn't mind doing that, as bad as it sounds.  I recall the 2011 Vancouver Canucks and they were so good back then because the defence was able to play excellent defence while able to turn a defensive play into offensive chances. Corsi for the Vancouver Canucks defencemens were off the charts for 2011.  If Keith Ballard is your bottom pairing you know,  you have a powerful defence.

The Canucks had a very good defence in 2011, if not one of the best. That being said, I wouldn't go as far as to call it powerful. Now Boston's 2011 d-core...that was powerful.

I don't think there is a need to trade for a top defenseman. I think we have one developing in Hutton, offensively speaking anyway.

Anaheim has 4 points from their defensemen.

Arizona has 10 points from their defensemen.

Calgary has 7 points from their defensemen.

Edmonton has 6 points from their defensemen.

Los Angeles has 2 points from their defensemen.

San Jose has 8 points from their defensemen.

Vancouver has 11 points from their defensemen.

I know its still early in the season, but if our back end can keep producing points like
this consistently throughout the season our team can surprise a lot of fans and sports
analysts alike. Hutton is currently leading our defense in scoring, he has been a pleasant
surprise for this team. I hope Hutton can keep producing points as the season rolls along
and hoping our forwards can get it going as well.

I've compared the stats from our defense to the other defensemen in our division. The amount
of points they produce some what reflects the success each team will have this season. The
more points they can build up will influence the number of wins they accumulate.

Like most, I'd say we're better off drafting as well as seeing what comes available via UFA (though that tends to be slim pickings as has been noted.)

One thing I wouldn't mind would be for snagging a bit of a reclamation project for cheap like... Luke Schenn. He's basically out of Philly's lineup and would cost us next to nothing to get with his value in the toilet and on an expiring UFA deal.

Swap them say Weber (also on an expiring deal) and at least they get a D-man with a different skill sett hey might use and at a lower salary more appropriate for a 6th/7th D. If he fits, they have the option to re-sign him.

We get a guy with tremendous upside, size, good hitting, decent size, speed, still young and fits a much needed hole in our D of a big, mean SOB who can actually clear a crease. He's had a rough go but perhaps just needs a fresh start and some good coaching. He certainly has some tantalizing tools. If he can't put it together, meh he plays 7th D and we let him walk in the summer. If he can put it together though... 

That's still not a 'top' (I'm assuming top = top pair / #1 or #2 D) d-man but it would sure improve our top 4 if he worked out.

Archived