The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

gizmo2337

As much as I love him, he's half the man Miller is. 

Never had the cajones to stand up for his team mates. 

I wonder if Vancouver wins an extra cup if we had Miller over luongo all those years... 

Luongo was God like in 2011 so I think that cup was his but Miller might have won it in 2010 and 2012? 

6 hours ago, apollo said:

I wonder if Vancouver wins an extra cup if we had Miller over luongo all those years... 

Luongo was God like in 2011 so I think that cup was his but Miller might have won it in 2010 and 2012? 

Miller is a plug.

The rise of this team started with Luongo and the fall started when he left...

If I'm a team looking to make the playoffs, I would definitely want Lu on my team.  If I'm a contender wanting to some damage in the playoffs, I don't want Lu on my team.  He chokes in the big games.  I think we've seen enough of that.  Having said that, I wouldn't mind having him as our goalie right now.

On 11/8/2016 at 1:31 PM, JV77 said:

Miller is a plug.

LOL! The rise of this team started with #22 and #33 

Buddy I was 100x the Luongo fan you were during his tenure here... don't kid yourself, he was never Sedin level. Sure he was the most dominant and consistent NHL goalie for the better part of a decade but that was largely due to the fact he played in front of future Hall Of Famers in the Twins. 

Don't get me wrong, he's a Hall Of Famer but he's no Sedin. 

50 minutes ago, apollo said:

Buddy I was 100x the Luongo fan you were during his tenure here... don't kid yourself, he was never Sedin level. Sure he was the most dominant and consistent NHL goalie for the better part of a decade but that was largely due to the fact he played in front of future Hall Of Famers in the Twins. 

Luongo played behind the twins, not in front of them. And he's as much a HOFer as they are, in the sense that none of them are first balloters but will get in eventually.

27 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

Luongo played behind the twins, not in front of them. And he's as much a HOFer as they are, in the sense that none of them are first balloters but will get in eventually.

Meh, I'm just being a bitter homer lol 

When he got dealt, I literally teared up driving home from work that day. "Un-Liked" Canucks on FB for a week, told myself I'd be a panthers fan... eventually I came to my senses during the off season and realized club before player or country. If Peter Skudra was our goalie right now, I'd say Skudra > Luongo. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Na man has nothing to do with being a fan.  For how many years was this team looking for a goalie pre Luongo and never had one.

Getting Luongo changed this franchise to where we could be built into contenders.  We had the one big piece.

I think the rise of this team was with both Luongo and the twins. 

Sedins weren't dominant or all-stars in 2006-07 when Luongo came here along with Mitchell but they grew a lot in the subsequent years as we all know. 

Side note, I was a huge Canucks fan as a kid, and losing in game 7 to NYR was a weird emotion for a 9-year old gung-ho kid to deal with. Double that with the lockout the year after, I lost all interest in hockey and moved on to other things. 

Fast forward to 2006 when we traded for Luongo, who I had heard of from keeping no more than a distant ear to hockey. I became captivated and watched that whole season listening to Jim Hughson call the games on Sportsnet on ch. 22 in awe of Lu. The whole team was lacking in skill but we only competed because of our goalie. He literally stole games for us. It was a Vezina-like season for him and he didn't win it due to mere politics. Brodeur didn't have the season Luongo had. Period. 

Since then, I've been playing goal for the last 7 years and bought only Reebok gear until a year or so ago because I guess I wanted to be like Lu in the net. 

People can have hate for him for whatever reasons, that's fine. For myself, I appreciate his human side and I understand life doesn't always work out the way you want it to. I'm sure he wishes we won the Cup and the departure wasn't messy. 

Anyway, getting verbose here but he's the best goalie we've ever had. Nobody excluded and it's not even really close. 

Also moving up on the all-time losses list, will likely be #1 by retirement:

Rk Born   Name GP GAA SV% W L SO TIME G A P PIM
1 1972 CA Martin Brodeur 1266 2.24 0.912 691 397 125 74 438 2 45 47 122
2 1979 CA Roberto Luongo 936 2.49 0.919 441 355 72 53 836 0 20 20 42
3 1967 CA Curtis Joseph 943 2.79 0.906 454 352 51 54 053 0 31 31 126
4 1929 CA Lorne 'Gump' Worsley 861 2.88   335 352 43 50 183 0 3 3 145
5 1950 CA Gilles Meloche 788 3.64   270 351 20 45 401 0 22 22 111
6 1963 US John Vanbiesbrouck 882 2.98   374 346 40 50 475 0 38 38 310
7 1967 CA Sean Burke 820 2.96 0.902 324 341 38 46 442 0 28 28 310
8 1973 RU Nikolai Khabibulin 799 2.72 0.907 333 334 46 45 609 0 18 18 134
9 1929 CA Terry Sawchuk 971 2.51   447 330 103 57 194 0 7 7 229

On November 8, 2016 at 7:23 AM, apollo said:

Well i don't think he is half the man, Lui was pretty damn awesome for the most part (playoffs another story)

It was impressive to see Miller jump in without hesitation! I have no doubt things would be different if we had Miller here during that time frame.

On November 8, 2016 at 1:31 PM, JV77 said:

Miller is a plug.

Lol im not sure you would find an NHL'r that would agree with you on him being a plug! He certainly doesn't have the humour or character that Lui had though, that's for sure.

Archived