The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congrats to Lu - moving up in all time wins - Luuuu

Rate this topic

gizmo2337

24 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

47 wins on an average team as opposed to being on a stacked team.

Yeah if you go by wins I guess. Lui also played 18 more games that year.

gaa. Lui 6th   Rask 4th

sv% Lui 4th.  Rask 2nd

shutouts Lui 6th. Rask 1st

wins Lui 2nd. Rask 5th

team wins Van 49 Bos 54

Safe to say an argument could be made either way, if both were in the same season I think the winner would still be Rask.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

gaa. Lui 6th   Rask 4th

sv% Lui 4th.  Rask 2nd

wins Lui 2nd. Rask 5th

team wins Van 49 Bos 54

Safe to say an argument could be made either way, if both were in the same season I think the winner would still be Rask.

Not an accurate way to compare. Have to consider where Rask's stats rank in 07, how Lu's rank in 14, and other factors usually come into play such as importance to team, how dominant they were, etc.

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Can't blame Brodeur for winning the Vezina in 07, he set the record for wins in a season that year. But it does show perspective on how silly it is to grade a goalie's career based on the number of Vezina's they have. Lu's 07 season was far better than many recent winners, such as Bobrovsky and Rask.

And did Lu just set a record for himself with his 9th straight win? Didn't think he'd do that with Florida...

His best with the Panthers was 6 and broke it with 7 straight  I believe.  Personal best was 8 with us and broke that tonight.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Not an accurate way to compare. Have to consider where Rask's stats rank in 07, how Lu's rank in 14, and other factors usually come into play such as importance to team, how dominant they were, etc.

No you said Lui's  2007 season was far better than Rasks 2014 season. Explain how it was far better... The stats certainly don't show it.

2 hours ago, Wedge-tailed Eagle said:

^ I would say if Rask had to play 76 games his stats would take a decent hit, and 11 more wins is hard to ignore.

Any goalie playing 76 games is going to struggle to put up .930 SV% and 2.00 GAA - that would be superhuman play. However managing to add that many wins was an astonishing achievement, and would be Vezina worthy in any season since.

12 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

No you said Lui's  2007 season was far better than Rasks 2014 season. Explain how it was far better... The stats certainly don't show it.

47 wins by a goalie has only happened what, 3 times? Lu did it with an average team in front of him, in his first year learning the system.

Watching both goalies play in their respective years, without a doubt Lu played better and was relied on far more. Stats tend to favour the goalie playing fewer games, and the one on the better team.

4 hours ago, Neversummer said:

FLA is at Edm on Sun and then Van on Mon .. 

If you were Gallant, would you rest him on Sun and play him on Mon?  

That is what they are doing.  Montoya in Edm, Lu here.  Montoya btw has been just as solid for them.  Only allowed 1 goal in each of last 4 or 5 games he has played...

Edited by JV77

• 2 weeks later...

funny how the people in this town was saying Luongo is all washed up and pitch forked him out of town.. and then he goes on to having his best statistical year of his career. I'm happy for Luongo doing so well in Florida.. also goes to show you what a stud defensemen or a top shut down defenseman can do for you. Ekblad and Mitchell.. it seems quite a few player that the fans here thinks are too old and washed up went on to have better careers after they leave the city lol. Mitchell and his 2 cups.. and Luongo leading his panthers to the top of their division. Also nice to see Schneider doing well in New Jersey having the devils competing for a playoff spot.. 

one thing i do miss about Luongo are those unbelievable saves.. is it just me or we seldom see any with lack, markstrom, or miller.. i mean they do make some.. but none to the degree Luongo used to make.. partially for being out of position too but it's good spectacle. 

On 1/8/2016 at 10:46 PM, Westcoasting said:

gaa. Lui 6th   Rask 4th

sv% Lui 4th.  Rask 2nd

wins Lui 2nd. Rask 5th

team wins Van 49 Bos 54

Boston had a great defense.. and a giant name Chara.. hence Thomas looked great for the bruins with his awkward saves.. coz there's no 2nd 3rd 4th chance.. stick rask on the 07 Vancouver and stick Luongo on the 14 Boston.. i think Luongo will have similar stats as Rask.. but dunno if the same can be said the other way around.. don't forget to factor in travel.. and playing in billion different timezone lol.. have a goalie from the pacific time zone ever won a vezina in the league's existent? no? perhaps travel and timezone plays a big factor into that too..