The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Guillaume Brisebois

BenQc

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think.... this is where I shake my head and sigh and then leave the room......

Why?  It's a lower level of Jr.  It makes logical sense that picks from that league have less chance, on average, of making the NHL.  Most NHL players from Canadian Junior hockey from the OHL, and then the WHL.  The QMJHL is way back.  The BCJHL is like the AJHL or the MJHL - these are wasted picks, unless it's an obvious one like Turris.

Alfives guess what  league produces the most NCAA talent out of all the junior a leagues in canada? 

Spoiler

BCHL

Guess which league most of the collage free agents that sign with NHL teams are from

Spoiler

BCHL

Guess which Junior A league usually have the most player drafted from

Spoiler

BCHL/or the AJHL

Guess which league usually wins the Candian Junior A championships and has the most teams ranked in the top 20

Spoiler

BCHL

Guess which league the best junior A team in Canada has played in for the last 3 or so seasons

Spoiler

BCHL

1 minute ago, Gstank29 said:

Alfives guess what  league produces the most NCAA talent out of all the junior a leagues in canada? 

Reveal hidden contents

BCHL

Guess which league most of the collage free agents that are from Canada sign out of

Reveal hidden contents

BCHL

Guess which Junior A league usually have the most player drafted 

Reveal hidden contents

BCHL

Guess which league usually wins the Candian Junior A championships has usually has the most teams ranked in the top 20

Reveal hidden contents

BCHL

Guess which league the best junior A team in Canada has played in for the last 3 or so seasons

Reveal hidden contents

BCHL

I appreciate the effort, but once guys play in the CHL they aren't eligible for the NCAA.  Also, the CHL, even the QMJHL is far superior to the BCJHL.  It's not even close.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And your point?  One league has far superior talent.  The players are bigger, faster, and more likely to play professional hockey.  

Just because they play in what is a "lesser league" doesn't mean they dont produce a lot talented players.

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Just because they play in what is a "lesser league" doesn't mean they dont produce a lot talented players.

I agree with you on that point.  Plenty of talented players come from the BCJHL.  My point is there are more elite players in the CHL, so odds are better drafting from that league of getting NHL players.  The Quebec league is the lesser of the three CHL leagues, for drafted players.  Kyle Turtis was drafted 3rd overall by Arizona out of the BCHL (Burnaby Express) and he's an excellent player.  It's just there are few of these guys from that league.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree with you on that point.  Plenty of talented players come from the BCJHL.  My point is there are more elite players in the CHL, so odds are better drafting from that league of getting NHL players.  The Quebec league is the lesser of the three CHL leagues, for drafted players.  Kyle Turtis was drafted 3rd overall by Arizona out of the BCHL (Burnaby Express) and he's an excellent player.  It's just there are few of these guys from that league.

Because it is considered a tier 2 league. So naturally it doesn't get the star players.

But here are some of the names to come out of the BCHL

• Jamie Benn
  • Kyle Turris
  • Beau Bennett
  • Brendon Morrison
  • Brett Hull
  • Duncan Keith
  • Cliff Ronning
  • Justin Schultz
  • Danny Dekesyer
  • Mark Recchi
  • Olaf Kolzig
  • Paul Kariya
  • Tyler Bozak
  • Jason Garrison
  • Andrew Hammond
  • Andrew Ladd

there are some more but those are some of the noticable names, i think you get the point. There are a lot more than "Just a few"

Not bad for a league that can only draw a majority of there players from BC. While other leagues get first pick and in some cases have over 3x more players to draw from

Yeah, I just don't believe in excluding a league just because it's not the OHL or the WHL. It's kind of hampering your ability to draft effectively if you do that. The more choices you have, the better, especially if other teams pick the players you might have wanted out of the OHL, etc. Having said that, the QMJHL is still a productive league having produced many NHL'ers; therefore, it's rather illogical and in no one's best interest to ignore it altogether.

The player should always come first before the league. What potential does the player have and what is the chance of him reaching that potential? That should be the million dollar question. Not "what league is he in?" That can come later in determining his development after the fact.

We could even argue that Matthews is in the Swiss League. Should we forget about him as well? lol

10 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Because it is considered a tier 2 league. So naturally it doesn't get the star players.

But here are some of the names to come out of the BCHL

• Jamie Benn
  • Kyle Turris
  • Beau Bennett
  • Brendon Morrison
  • Brett Hull
  • Duncan Keith
  • Cliff Ronning
  • Justin Schultz
  • Danny Dekesyer
  • Mark Recchi
  • Olaf Kolzig
  • Paul Kariya
  • Tyler Bozak
  • Jason Garrison
  • Andrew Hammond
  • Andrew Ladd

there are some more but those are some of the noticable names, i think you get the point. There are a lot more than "Just a few"

Not bad for a league that can only draw a majority of there players from BC. While other leagues get first pick and in some cases have over 3x more players to draw from

And Ray Ferraro.  Many of these guys went on to play Major junior, where they properly developed their games.  Tier 2 means a lower level.

12 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

just a comparatively late birthday. With the birthday cutoff I can't imagine there was a ton of guys picked this year who were younger.

I believe jake was one, if not the youngest player in his draft class...........could be a trend!

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

And your point?  One league has far superior talent.  The players are bigger, faster, and more likely to play professional hockey.  

I can’t agree with that at all.  The WHL and CHL have their draft at the age of 14.  Just think at how hard it is to predict 18 year old development and now compare that to 14 year olds. I watched a good buddies get drafted basically because they were 6’1 at 14.  I’ve got a ton of friends that had played in all leagues. WHL, ECHL, AHL, NHL, Europe, Russia, even had buddy that played in the u20 WJC.

All these players were good but some of the best players I’ve played with and against were in the AJHL, and the one of the most talented players I know had came from the BCHL. 

The big difference in the leagues isn’t really talent or skill.  It’s development ages.  Some players don’t start physically maturing until 17-20, those players usually go into the Junior A leagues.  The ones that develop earlier usually go into the WHL/CHL leagues.  But in the long run I wouldn’t discredit the amount of talent in the Junior A leagues.  I may be biased having played in the AJ but I’m also familiar with the all the leagues.  The gap is a lot smaller than you’d think.      

The WHL and CHL leagues also get the most draft picks and therefor tend to create a lot more NHL players.  But I’d argue that, that’s more from circumstances and less from end result.  It’s been a growing trend to see skill players come out of the NCAA.  Why because the where else do these junior A players go when they hit 21.  If the NHL draft was held for 20 year olds.  I would say you’d see a lot more picks from outside of the CHL/WHL, you’d also likely have a lot less busts.

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why?  It's a lower level of Jr.  It makes logical sense that picks from that league have less chance, on average, of making the NHL.  Most NHL players from Canadian Junior hockey from the OHL, and then the WHL.  The QMJHL is way back.  The BCJHL is like the AJHL or the MJHL - these are wasted picks, unless it's an obvious one like Turris.

where do you think a good chunk of the NCAA players come from?

Archived