The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Clancy's The Division

MJDDawg

I know it's been delayed before, but Ubisoft is saying it'll finally launch March 6, 2016. 

The visuals look stunning from what I've seen the gameplay and team interaction looks really interesting. I believe the entire game can be played solo, but you can enter these dark zones that are multiplayer without load screens or entering through a menu. The goal in these zones is to work in 3-person teams to try to grab some valuable loot on your own or working in tandem with other real player 3-person teams. Smells like GTA V where teams can go rogue. Still looks interesting though.

Any one else been looking forward to this game?

Latest trailer - Jan 12/15

I'm kinda excited for it, but I'm not a huge fan of games that try to seamlessly integrate single and multiplayer. It usually never seems to quite work out right. Ubi's servers are also pretty bad for the most part (I'm really enjoying Rainbow 6 though) so that has me worried. 

If they do it right, I think it could be a ton of fun with friends.

I'm curious. Like Rainbow Six Seige it's almost entirely a game I'm getting just so my friends and I can agree on something to play with. But I hope to enjoy it more than Rainbow Six Siege. It's a good game, but its lacking in any elements that either make it interesting to play without said friends, and it's an experience that's entirely dependent on getting a good team that you can roll with for an hour or two. I don't think it offers much on its own (especially as it's lacking any single player element of any kind)

Rainbow Six Seige on PC seems to have an incredibly responsible, cooperative, forgiving, and friendly community. Haven't had a single issue yet, and I've been playing the game quite a bit. Coming from playing other PC games like Left 4 Dead 2, or certain Counter Strike games, where the on-line community is just toxic, or childish, it's such a nice change of pace.

I think the style of play in The Division will prompt a little more douche-baggery, but for whatever reason people playing Ubisoft games on PC are nicer than what you'd expect. I wonder if this game will be the same.

• 1 month later...

Played 5 hrs of this game this morning.

Single player open world typer stuff- 6.5/10  Could see it becoming insanely boring extremely fast

Multiplayer Dead Zone combat with friends- 9/10  Facing off against other groups of looters in the city is hella fun and each extraction opportunity is like a mini boss fight against other humans.  Really good stuff here.  Could still be fun Solo, but the game really shines when played in a fireteam.

Both game modes have really awesome character and weapon customization.  Glad this title came along to pry me away from Destiny.

59 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

I have a Beta key, so I suppose I could join in whatever is going on, but I'd prefer to just wait until the game just comes out.

It's a 26 gig D/L on PS4... If you are bored it is def. worth a playthru.  Worthy of a little time investment if you are interested in the Multiplayer stuff.

The single player component of the beta takes like an hr to play through.

I was finally accepted into the closed beta this past weekend, and was somewhat disappointed by the lack of content in the beta, which has many features locked away, albeit understandably.

The graphics and the environment are great (PC, high settings), reminded me of Crysis 2 with a tad less aberration effect. However, I'm really not a fan of the HUD/user interface. Graphical indicators are everyfrackingwhere, it's way worse than Battlefield 3/4.

As for the gameplay, the PvE part of the beta is downright boring. You spend 80% of your time traveling between missions/side quests, all of which involve you killing N enemies and more of the same. I would suggest getting into a squad if you don't want to play a walking simulator (in a ghost town), but that wouldn't help much I imagine.

I did not get to spend much time in the Dark Zone though (the supposed PvP section that has a level requirement), having to spend 20 minutes or so to find some guy I can shoot at, just some 10 minutes before the beta ended. There's definitely some potential here, if you can find a group of friends to play with, well, two friends.

I have been looking forward to the game the moment they put up the very first teaser, but the lack of media exposure prior to the beta has really killed the hype for me. It didn't help that the beta lasted like 3 days. Having said that, I may still end up buying the game later, since there are just not many quality open world multiplayer shooters out there.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Has anyone played it or is currently? I would like some perspective before deciding to buy.

Today is the release date I think.

I'm probably going to pick it up, but just want to see some early reviews come in first.

Managed to squeeze in a few hours last night on PC despite the (surprisingly short) hour-long server issues that were affecting both the PC and PS4 during the official launch time (the game was actually playable a couple hours before then).

Anyway, it might be a bit too early to say this, but I'm a bit worried about the game's replay value.

This is a loot-based RPG/shooter, but I don't know if the loot alone is enough to carry the game, for the gameplay itself feels very bland. The shooting part plays just like Gears of War without the relatively more interesting weapons and the more diverse enemy types to shoot.

The RPG part also seems to lack room for experimentation. Since there are no classes in the game, eventually everyone will be running the same character configuration once they have figured out the most optimal setup. Loot-based games like Diablo often offer special items with stats that encourage the players to experiment different class/character builds...and so do The Division, but the gear is affecting only 3 primary stats: DPS (aka damage), Health (HP) and Skill Power (skills stat multiplier), which really have very little impact on the character's play style. To quote Elena from another Third-Person Shooter, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, "you just point and shoot."

On the bright side, the game has great atmosphere and it's awesome to play with friends...as long as they don't try to crack a lame joke during an important cut scene over the mic.

Having said that, I'll keep on grinding a little later tonight....

I watched the whole video in the OP, and am not enthused at all with this. I just don't see how this is new or exciting in any way.

12 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

I watched the whole video in the OP, and am not enthused at all with this. I just don't see how this is new or exciting in any way.

Played for like 5 hrs last night. I've already played the beta too. It reminds me a of a more open destiny with minimal character classification. 

16 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Played for like 5 hrs last night. I've already played the beta too. It reminds me a of a more open destiny with minimal character classification. 

I missed out on the beta; downloaded it too late. Are you saying it's good? I'm considering getting it...

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

I missed out on the beta; downloaded it too late. Are you saying it's good? I'm considering getting it...

Im saying its good right now. Like others said im not sure how much replay value it will have. Missions seem basic.  Go here. Kill these guys. Go back to base. Ive only played like 4 hours so take my advice however you wish to. I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction.  if i find i dont care for it ill just finish it as fast as i can and sell. 

Archived