The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 2-6 Wild

Brad Marchand

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning has to trade for a number one defender and pay handsomely for it. And if you're going to pay, make it worth it.

To Nashville:

Chris Tanev, 

Matt Bartkowski,

Sven Baertschi,

and Jordan Subban, and the 2nd round draft pick from Columbus

To Vancouver:

Shea Weber

Shea Weber  Alex Edler 

(Dan Hamhuis when well) Luca Sbisa  Ben Hutton

Alex Biega  Andrey Pedan

That's an awesome defense. I would hate to skate into that maelstrom.

Your a funny guy. 

News flash. Even if Nashville decided to trade us Shea Weber for a single 5th round draft pick, it wouldn't help us one bit. Why? Because Shea Weber would come here, play 1 minute of ice time, then get a career ending injury probably.

Point is, people keep coming up with plans on how to fix this team. The Canucks don't need "fixing", they would be WELL into a playoff spot by now if they Sutter, Hamhuis, and Sbisa. Specifically, Sutter has been the biggest loss. He played the hard minutes and so did Hamhuis.

We also got very unlucky with our overtime record (0-7 I think?).

No need to blow up the whole team cause of some very bad luck and injuries. That's life. You think we're the first team to lose out cause of injuries?

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning has to trade for a number one defender and pay handsomely for it. And if you're going to pay, make it worth it.

To Nashville:

Chris Tanev, 

Matt Bartkowski,

Sven Baertschi,

and Jordan Subban, and the 2nd round draft pick from Columbus

To Vancouver:

Shea Weber

Shea Weber  Alex Edler 

(Dan Hamhuis when well) Luca Sbisa  Ben Hutton

Alex Biega  Andrey Pedan

That's an awesome defense. I would hate to skate into that maelstrom.

Literally a worse proposal than raymond, Ballard and a 1st.

4 hours ago, singing chef said:

After scrutinizing the past 10 games or so it is evident that:

1.  The team lacks structure.  That has to be a coaching issue.

2.  The number of giveaways in the defensive zone is astonishing.  That led directly to 2 goals against tonight.

3.  When defending on power plays, why are there not opposing forwards lying on their butts in front of the net  ?  Answer - because our defensemen stand around watching the puck instead of clearing the front of the net.  Where are the Willie Mitchells of the world when you need them ?  Seems quite obvious that the team lacks a top 4 defense unit.

4.  Why is it that, except for the Sedin line, our forwards' strategy is to dump in the puck from centre and then watch while the opposition retrieve it and carry it back in to our zone  ?  Why don't the coaches let the players in on the secret that puck possession is important  ?

5.  I realize that I'm being Captain Obvious BUT..........even although the team is lacking in talent right now, at least some honest effort at making the games interesting would be appreciated.  I do believe that this coaching staff is overwhelmed and that the players have no sense of direction.

Except - now here's the rub. There have been a good many games that we haven't shown any of the above. You can't deny that and that must be the frustrating thing for coaches and management, not to mention the fans.

In the light of that inconsistency there has to be a strong urge from management to just let the show slide to a high draft position. I am not saying to "give up" but just to accept there are too many inconsistent players in the team who for one reason or another just seem to think either they are marking time or they have a contract and they feel safe. Unload them over the coming year.

Imo there is no point losing draft picks or prospects just to bale these guys out to the end of the season.

I don't know what the off season did for Bo but he is just not competing every night, The rot is infecting Hutton now, Vbrata seems to be resigned to being shipped out and I don't think he is bothered because he is not getting to play with the Sedins, McCann's body just can't take the physicality night after night,

I understand now why we really need to have our rookies play at least a season in the A. It might even account for Bo's collapse this season.

In hindsight we made a mistake. It was wrong to put Virtanen and McCann in the team straight from the juniors. We should have kept Richardson, and Vey/Matthias in the team and supported it from Utica with Biega, Gaunce, Pedan and Grenier. Our prospects are not top 3 guys who might have a chance to shine right from the Juniors, McCann needs building up and Jake needs to learn to "play" the game.

On the matter of Vey. The guy may have been less than physical and made some mistakes but jeez I don't remember many nights he didn't compete. Both Weber and Bartowski make Stanton look like a good thing now and I'm not even going to say how much we miss Bieksa's character and pushback. Does anyone seriously think he would not have been giving an ear bashing to the players in the room including taking responsibility for his part after that kind of performance.

I am a big fan of the Detroit model but will hold my hand up and say I was not disappointed to see Jared and Jake being allowed to stick. In retrospect given the poor drafting in the Gillis years I am now of the opinion we are trying to do this too quickly - unless we want to tank for 2 or 3 years.

6 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Looks about right...Im torn on Burrows..but ...he sucks too...why keep him. Im not an Edler or Tanev fan...we need a big tough puck moving D....this sure as hell aint it....Benning has a lot of work to do.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Only players I wanna see here next season:

Sedin Sedin

Sutter 

Horvat Virtanen

McCann Hansen

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Hutton

Miller

Markstrom

Benning will have plenty of cap space to work with and hopefully a young top 3 pick.

Be realistic.

How could you put Virtanen back in the team. He is just not mentally / hockey IQ wise to play in the NHL. Half the time he looked lost. He needs a season AT LEAST in Utica under Green.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

markstrom

sbisa

hutton

bo

mcCann

Virtanen

Twins

Sutter

Hansen

Tanev (Unless we trade him for Hamonic)

We have our borderline players..Dorsett  and Cracknell on the 4th possibly.

That would make 11 from this roster and add 7 guys (plus a goalie) that would be enema enough to restart I think.

**plus whatever we can get for those players going out.

The question is how many of those new faces are we taking from Utica? ( Maybe 2-3?) So in effect we only have to go outside to find 3-4 players (forward or Defense) 

7 hours ago, riffraff said:

What a joke you are higgins.

no vet earning millions should ever say those words.....at least as much as our vets do.

im sick of watching Higgins.  Terrible, floating, $&!#ty skating style, no offensive skill....just nauseating

vrbata: floating chicken$&!# prima Donna heartless gutless cheque collector. Should be making his linemates better. Should be leading by example.  Instead he's nowhere to be found except from a thirty five foot slot snapping no hopers.

prust:. Pack up your Twitter account and go back to Quebec.

the rest of the team not Sedins, Miller, Hansen are either too young or not skilled enough do its not really they're fault.  At least there are periods of effort.  And burrows is just old and done.  If he's not with the Sedins he's basically useless.  Again not his fault.  

How can a team show this little integrity?  How can jb be so wrong in his assessment of vey, baer, Prust, bartkiwski, Webber?

and WD? Time to live by your own words or whatever quote from the bluejay guy you used.  "The try league."  Youre right willie! This isn't the try league.  Time to figure it out. Grow a set and bench these clowns.

I like much of this post but you can't say what you have about the state of the players and then blame Willie. How can he press box half of these players when many of them have been brought in or extended by JB.

I truly feel sorry for Willie and am starting to think this "transition" has not been fully thought out.

My reason for saying this is more to do with the legacy left by Gillis. We have lost out on 5 years of good drafting and unfortunately TL and JB have tried to take shortcuts to circumvent this. Ok it is easy with hindsight and I'm as guilty as anyone else.

Prospects like Jake, Jared, Bo and Hutton shouldn't be jumping straight into the team. They are not top 3 picks and I fear it will cost them and us in the end.

Bringing Bo into our 2013 team might have worked but how can we expect a guy who jumped straight from Junior to hack it in this team. They are, as a combined unit and through no fault of their own part of the problem.

The right way to do this is the Detroit way, the painless way but they have drafted consistently well for years. I don't see the point of having the great set up we have in Utica if we are going to skip such a vital stage in the players development. The only player/s that should have come in this year was Gaunce/Biega/Grenier.

I don't say Baertschi because personally he is the type of player I would not have touched had I been GM. Not because he doesn't have talent but if I was re-building this team even my "smaller' skilful players would have to come with a hell of a lot more physical/compete upside or we are never going to break the mould of this club.

I have moaned at the injuries to key player and I genuinely think that has helped to exacerbate our problems but that in itself indicates how fragile we are.

The majority of us used to rip on this team when they were President's Cup Holders so it is no surprise we are losing patience now, even me.

The calming veteran influence of Sutter at center and Hamhuis on defense is showing in games like this. Both are stalwarts on the pk and you could see the results of that tonight. Add in Sbisa's injury and you have 3 big holes on the team you can't replace right now as there is nobody on the farm to fill in for them.

19 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Just saw highlights.   Miller's getting frustrated, on many shots, he gives up after one rebound ... looks behind him and has this WTF look, puts up his hands ... his head is not in the right space.   

His post-game interview was hard to watch.   

He was frustrated by being left out to dry by his d-corps, they were flat out horrible.

Archived