The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kids are alright!

SedinMadness

Give the kids credit where credit is due! Ben Hutton, Jared Mc cann, Bo Horvat, and Jake Virtanen where put in a tough role with the canucks. Knowing our vets are the same with a couple of new additions the motivation, the fire, and the momentum was incredible to start the year. When injuries started to happen such as sbisa, and sutter, thats when things really started to get worst. Guys our team isn't deeply skilled and isn't good at defensive positioning. We already know this, so to take sbisa and sutter out of the line up and don't think our kids or anyone else wouldn't struggle then your kidding self. I give our coach WD huge credit for sticking with them, any coach would of turned on them in a heart beat if they thought that would save them from getting fired. I just wanted to say, its time to stick with them and let those growing pains heal! after all it is a team game!.

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

Regarding Willie D sticking with them.  What option has he had really?  Who does he replace them with that is more reliable to save his skin?

He does have Higgins playing on the second line and the PP...

And even more impressive. We are seeing breakout seasons in Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, and Thatcher Demko. Brock Boeser is tearing up the NCAA and looking like a stud, and Jordan Subban is showing he can handle the pro game pretty well. Both doing so as rookies in their respective divisions. The young core is really starting to get rolling and well see the transition soon.

4 minutes ago, TheLiveWire said:

And even more impressive. We are seeing breakout seasons in Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, and Thatcher Demko. Brock Boeser is tearing up the NCAA and looking like a stud, and Jordan Subban is showing he can handle the pro game pretty well. Both doing so as rookies in their respective divisions. The young core is really starting to get rolling and well see the transition soon.

Cant be soon enough..totally agree with your post.

We need to compare our next core (the kids) to other teams' top kids.  Are our kids going to be a Cup contending group, compared to the Oilers, Flames, Coyotes, Avs, Preds, etc.  The list goes on.  We are middle of the pack.  That means middle of the pack picks, and the cycle continues.  WE NEED TOP END ELITE TALENT THAT CAN SCORE CONSISTANTLY AT THIS LEVEL. I love our kids too, but realistically they don't match up with too many of the other teams' top young players.  

3 hours ago, CanuckianOne said:

He does have Higgins playing on the second line and the PP...

Higgins is trash. Guance is the same type of player 2 way guy who can get in on the fore check and win battles along the boards and help with puck retrieval plus he is younger and cheaper.

Maybe just buyout Higgins since they can't trade him? Doubt anybody wants bigmouth Burrows now too...

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Regarding Willie D sticking with them.  What option has he had really?  Who does he replace them with that is more reliable to save his skin?

He has stuck with them in that he has never publicly criticised them. Far from it he continues to boost their confidence. Have you listened to him over the last couple of months when asked about Bo. Nothing but praise and encouragement despite half of CDC turning on the guy.

Same with the McCann slump and when the strain of trying to do more than his fair share started to affect Hutton's game. Not one bit of criticism but instead he constantly inflates their tyres. 

This will all stand Willie to the good down the line when these guys will skate through brick walls for him. It will also pass down to new rookies that as long as they are giving their all he will back them.

So you are wrong, he has the option to criticise them, hammer them in practice, press box them and like Tortorella humiliate them. Willie's not like that, he wants to raise a close knit pack, a band of hard working brothers and personally if Detroit is an indication, I can't wait.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

He has stuck with them in that he has never publicly criticised them. Far from it he continues to boost their confidence. Have you listened to him over the last couple of months when asked about Bo. Nothing but praise and encouragement despite half of CDC turning on the guy.

Same with the McCann slump and when the strain of trying to do more than his fair share started to affect Hutton's game. Not one bit of criticism but instead he constantly inflates their tyres. 

This will all stand Willie to the good down the line when these guys will skate through brick walls for him. It will also pass down to new rookies that as long as they are giving their all he will back them.

So you are wrong, he has the option to criticise them, hammer them in practice, press box them and like Tortorella humiliate them. Willie's not like that, he wants to raise a close nit pack, a band of hard working brothers.

Well, I will give him credit for not publicly criticizing the rookies.  But really, that is something only an idiot would do.  I wouldn't expect that tactic from anyone but Tortorella and Keenan, and even they would use that tactic sparingly, if at all, with rookies.

Torts humiliated Hansen and Edler.  Not the guys on the cusp of the AHL.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

We need to compare our next core (the kids) to other teams' top kids.  Are our kids going to be a Cup contending group, compared to the Oilers, Flames, Coyotes, Avs, Preds, etc.  The list goes on.  We are middle of the pack.  That means middle of the pack picks, and the cycle continues.  WE NEED TOP END ELITE TALENT THAT CAN SCORE CONSISTANTLY AT THIS LEVEL. I love our kids too, but realistically they don't match up with too many of the other teams' top young players.  

Alf, one word, Datsyuk.

Google top 50 NHL players and see how many were low picks and undrafted. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, I will give him credit for not publicly criticizing the rookies.  But really, that is something only an idiot would do.  I wouldn't expect that tactic from anyone but Tortorella and Keenan, and even they would use that tactic sparingly, if at all, with rookies.

Torts humiliated Hansen and Edler.  Not the guys on the cusp of the AHL.

I didn't just say he didn't humiliate them, I said he goes out of his way to boost them even when they are not playing well. Even Jake was being praised before he was sent down, while everyone on here was "killing" him (after wetting their pants about him in pre season - hypocrites)

Willie is a teacher, a coach, almost a father figure, that is what these youngsters need.

32 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I didn't just say he didn't humiliate them, I said he goes out of his way to boost them even when they are not playing well. Even Jake was being praised before he was sent down, while everyone on here was "killing" him (after wetting their pants about him in pre season - hypocrites)

Willie is a teacher, a coach, almost a father figure, that is what these youngsters need.

Fair enough.

I think McCann actually has the best skillset out of all of our rooies. My problem with McCann is that WD won't let him play his game. Horvat is a defensive minded center who should have been trained that way as shown last year. McCann is a different kind of player than Horvet. High risk, high reward type of player. WD has got him so wound up on the defensive side of the game he is losing the offensive side of it. Some players should be brought up in a different way and encouraged to hone their skillset a certain way. WD seems to have taken a cookie cutter approach to both of them. 

Archived