The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL draft process is broken

canuck2288

10 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

The very fact that there can be discussions about teams tanking in order to secure a chance at a high draft pick is sad. Specially before the half way point of a regular season.

I know many pro sports leagues follow a similar process but that does not make it right i feel it ruins the integrity of the game. How does a team on one hand sell tickets to a game at a ridiculous price and then turn around and easentially throw that game? 

The solution is simple, stop rewarding futility!!! Every team gets one ball in the draw regardless of final standings. Guess what?, no more tanking and teams are not punished for success or rewarded for futility and every game actually means something.

i dont think a situation like edmonton should be allowed. you shouldnt be allowed to get the first overall pick more than once in maybe three years or something like that.

I don't understand why there is a thread every week complaining about tanking. The worst two teams this year Columbus and Anaheim were both considered to be playoff teams by many at the start of the year. They even made moves thinking they would be competitive, so who exactly is taking and who isn't.

18 hours ago, homersexual said:

The only rule I want to see is that you should not be allowed the 1st overall pick 3 yrs in a row. Maybe even not allowed top 5 pick 3 yrs in a row.

I like this idea too. As much as I hate Edmonton I'm getting tired of seeing them get top 3 pick after top 3 pick. 

I think the draft is completely broken. Why must professional sports reward teams for losing? It's one of the most ludicris rules out there. Why should teams get a first-second-or third overall just because they suck at management? With the oppertunity for free agents out there, why are certain teals always last overall? After 2 or 3 first overall players going to the same teams, high draft picks to Columbus, Florida, over and over again. Why do these badly managed teams always get to ruin top rated rookies over and over again,  

On December 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM, canuck2288 said:

Teams should not compensated for bad drafting, bad coaching, bad trades (like the Oilers) when teams like the Hawks have built from within.

Throw them all in the lottery with an equal chance. Can you imagine trade dynamics? If you throw in a draft pick? Makes things interesting.

i would also never assume any player in the league would tank. We also  know that coaching and management can tank by foing something like ...... dressing Weber, Higgins and Prust

You think the Hawks built from within?

That's interesting, I always thought that their two most dominant forwards were drafted with Top 3 draft picks after the Hawks had performed very poorly in the regular season, also acquired a 30+ pt D-Man Nick Leddy by trading another one of their Top 3 draft choices from an earlier year.

The Blackhawks have certainly added a lot of talent & depth from draft picks outside the Top 10, but the idea that they haven't benefited by a large degree from getting top draft picks by performing poorly in the regular season is total bunk.

Lots of criticism so far of the Draft process, but I have yet to see a single viable alternative posted by anyone that would try to maintain parity in the league.

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

You think the Hawks built from within?

That's interesting, I always thought that their two most dominant forwards were drafted with Top 3 draft picks after the Hawks had performed very poorly in the regular season, also acquired a 30+ pt D-Man Nick Leddy by trading another one of their Top 3 draft choices from an earlier year.

The Blackhawks have certainly added a lot of talent & depth from draft picks outside the Top 10, but the idea that they haven't benefited by a large degree from getting top draft picks by performing poorly in the regular season is total bunk.

Lots of criticism so far of the Draft process, but I have yet to see a single viable alternative posted by anyone that would try to maintain parity in the league.

Fair comment Chicago is where they are for more reasons than those players. Since when was the draft supposed to help ensure parity? Again rewarding poor management. The sole purpose of the draft should be to restock talent and in my opinion it should not be tied to on ice performance in order to avoid playing a farm team to tank or just being poorly coached and managed like the Oilers.

Draw randomly and then alternate every year after that so everyone drafts in every order over a 30 year period. 

10 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Fair comment Chicago is where they are for more reasons than those players. Since when was the draft supposed to help ensure parity? Again rewarding poor management. The sole purpose of the draft should be to restock talent and in my opinion it should not be tied to on ice performance in order to avoid playing a farm team to tank or just being poorly coached and managed like the Oilers.

Draw randomly and then alternate every year after that so everyone drafts in every order over a 30 year period. 

Ummm, since it began in 1963? The Draft was always determined by standings & the whole reason the draft even began was so that, to quote NHL President Clarence Campbell, "a uniform opportunity for each team to acquire a star player" was created.

The whole reason a lottery system was introduced to the Draft in 95' was to help ensure even more parity, so that draft selection wasn't entirely based on regular season performances.

17 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Ummm, since it began in 1963? The Draft was always determined by standings & the whole reason the draft even began was so that, to quote NHL President Clarence Campbell, "a uniform opportunity for each team to acquire a star player" was created.

The whole reason a lottery system was introduced to the Draft in 95' was to help ensure even more parity, so that draft selection wasn't entirely based on regular season performances.

To clarify, I understand why its in place, i don't agree with it being in place. Maybe in the old days teams had more integrity to play it out but that is not the case anymore. Read my link on the nba process. 

On 12/21/2015 at 0:34 PM, canuck2288 said:

Sill weighted towatds poor teams and still encourages tanking. The lottery has been in place for tears and teams still tanks, therefore the process is wrong. Why do you think that after 30 games we are already talking tanking? 

The weighted lottery solves nothing

The point of the format is to encourage parity in the league. Imagine if the Hawks or LA won the cup this season and then won Mathews in the draft Lottery.

Why should teams at the top have a chance at the best prospects when most of them are only at the top in the first place because they sucked long enough to immaculate top draft picks? You think it's cool teams like Chicago and LA can essentially build their team by sucking long term, and then once they are powerhouses, the league should change the rules so they can benefit more? 

On 21/12/2015 at 1:04 PM, Fateless said:

The draft is designed to keep the league competitive. If Chicago and Los Angeles who have been winning the cup for the last 23508972 years were also able to draft 1st overall if they got lucky - would that really make hockey entertaining to watch when you can predict who is going to win the cup at the start of the season?

The draft isn't designed to reward weak teams so much as it is designed to return weak teams to being competitive and bringing competitive teams slowly down to where they may need to draft higher.

Essentially the draft is designed that way to keep the league balanced so that it is enjoyable and competitive.

Finally a good explanation haha.  Hockey is entertainment, while it can be entertaining to watch a dominant team play, it certainly isn't entertaining to watch the same teams win year after year, especially if you were a fan of a loser team with nothing to look forward to.

22 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

To clarify, I understand why its in place, i don't agree with it being in place. Maybe in the old days teams had more integrity to play it out but that is not the case anymore. Read my link on the nba process. 

Lol no, there was never any integrity with the process. Heck it's pretty widely known that the Penguins threw their last game of the season to draft Mario Lemieux. I doubt that team would be there in Pittsburgh if it weren't for that.

I believe Ottawa was fined for tanking during the initial few years after expansion as well.

Like it has already been mentioned, it isn't a perfect system but it is the only viable option. It's like democracy, there are some big flaws but it is still better than the alternatives.

Archived