The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Breaking] North Korea says they have conducted a Nuclear Hydrogen bomb test, causing 5.1 magnitude of seismic disturbance

Odd.

A North Korean nuclear test has caused a seismic event in an area in the northeast of the reclusive country. Three previous nuclear tests, in 2006, 2009 and 2013, were conducted in the region.

A televised North Korean statement confirmed the test was a hydrogen bomb test. The test took place at 10 a.m. local time.

The USGS, which measured the event at a magnitude of 5.1, said it occurred 19 kilometers (12 miles) east-northeast of Sungjibaegam.

South Korean foreign ministry hastily convened an emergency meeting, and officials in Japan were also holding discussions.

North Korea's internationally isolated regime is a heavily militarized state with a huge standing army of 1.2 million active soldiers and 7.7 million reservists.

But its conventional weaponry is dated, with limited effectiveness, and it has looked to developing its nuclear capabilities to project power internationally.

The country declared it had nuclear weapons in 2003, and conducted nuclear tests in 2006, 2009 and 2013.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/asia/north-korea-seismic-event/

Sigh.

Will update thread as more news emerges.

North Korea is like that little dog that nips at your heel and is consistently annoying but no real threat. The country is tiny and one well placed bomb would annihilate the entire country - it makes no sense for them to continue aggravating the countries who actually have power in the world.

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Does anything they do actually make any sense?

Yeah their country is tiny..but they are also connected to South Korea who we do not want to harm.  These bombs are likely just a bargaining chip but these people are crazy, I don't trust them whatsoever. 

All nuclear weapons are bargaining chips. I agree with you, this isn't news that should be thrown as aside like trash. It only takes one crazy man to change the entire world, and what a surprise, North Korea has that. 

South Korea and Japan are certainly concerned about this news, as they should be. It'll be interesting to see happens in the near future. 

55 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yes bargaining chips but its not like they haven't been used before *cough cough murica cough cough*

This man executes his own family without remorse.  If anyone should be worried I think it should be North Americans, particularly us here on the west coast.   If they do manage to build the most powerful bomb known to mankind and are able to launch it I doubt they will waste it on a small country like South Korea or Japan.  From my understanding their hate for the United States is much stronger than their hate for any Asian country.  A hydrogen bomb can do a lot more damage than any nuclear bomb if put together properly.

We just need a Navy Seals team to go in N Korea and kill the entire government and set the people free. 

The only reason North Korea still exists is because of China. I wonder how the Chinese would react to a nuke.

When you steal everything you possibly can from your own people you have almost unlimited resources, but I sure hope this is just more global windbag posturing and not them actually nearing nuclear status.

Batshot crazy over there.  

10 minutes ago, theminister said:

I would be shocked if Israel nuked Iran and vice versa.

I would be shocked if India nuked Pakistan and vice versa.

I would not be shocked if North Korea nuked South Korea. Entirely plausible to me.

if south korea decides to go to war with north  korea they will use missiles and target the north korean leadership and missile silos and key military instalations  they would wanna minimize the  civilian casualties 

Just now, canuktravella said:

if south korea decides to go to war with north  korea they will use missiles and target the north korean leadership and missile silos and key military instalations  they would wanna minimize the  civilian casualties 

And Best Korea wouldn't have those same problems of ethics.

Many in South Korea would like to see the country reunified as they consider the people in the North as their brothers and sisters suffering under Kims rule. I can assume many in the North would as well although its not that easy to get their opinion on events. Nobody wants armed conflict.

kim jun wants to maintain control in a country with very poor and deteriorating infrastructure and near starvation levels of food production. They are always near the breaking point and shows of force like this weapon test are necessary to keep order. 

Im actually surprised Kim has managed to maintain control for as long as he has. I was expecting him to be gone within a decade of his fathers demise. A coup or assassination. Hes not that crazy.

Archived