The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UND HOCKEY : Drake Caggiula (undrafted/unsigned)

Tavrohorvat53

One year ago during the 2015 draft I fortuitously predicted Vancouver picking Brock Boesser with their first round pick. Naturally, I was happy that the player I had scouted leading up to the draft was the one the Canucks took. Based on my evaluation, there was no chance that he'd still be available on the board when it was our turn to pick, but I was happy we got him non-the-less.

Since, then I have followed Brock's progression very closely, watching him during on summer camps (Vancouver & US team), tournaments or college games on a good North Dakota team. Brock plays alongside Center Nick Schmaltz, Chicago Blackhawks 20th pick in the 2014 Draft, and an undrafted, unsigned twenty-one yo forward Drake Caggiula. The three form one of the most dynamic lines in college hockey.

While watching Brock play and marvelling at his wicked shot, Caggiula does his best to stand out. And night after night Caggiula usually delivers. 

Here's one of his more recent gems:

So why am I telling you all this?

Well, I firmly believe that the undrafted pool of prospects playing in different leagues have untapped potential that most teams fail to take advantage off. A team like Chicago has done a masterful job of doing so as one of the many ways to bring prime talent into their team and increase their organizational depth.

The Canucks need to do similarly in order to supplant players in the organization . If they do this more actively and more aggressively in addition to drafting and developing it would reflect and result in the acceleration of the value and the depth of our prospect pool. I'm also a firm believer that all some guys need is a chance. A chance, carrying low risk that could work out for both the player and the organization. 

I only hope that the Canucks understand this and see the clear value in pursuing these types of players as a low risk high reward players and take a chance at signing them. The thought process here is simply that some players take longer to develop and find their touch but they shouldn't be discounted because of that. 

So Mr. Benning, guess what I'm asking is, can you sign Drake Caggiula next? 

Certainly the kind of player I wouldn't mind seeing added to our pool. And definitely would like to see JB more active in the unsigned/undrafted prospects market.

Other than I guess Sautner (who has turned out to be a better professional than I expected), Benning really hasn't been as active as the former regime in supplementing his drafts with the so-called "free prospects" available each year.

Especially pursuing college free agents, which should have been an area of strength for this regime given Benning's background.

Same goes for the CHL and Europe and all the other leagues. Lots of undrafted talent out there.

And we can't unearth the gems if we aren't actively mining these leagues for players like Caggiula.

This was always one of the more interesting things to watch each year under Gillis (who made up for some of the poor drafting with key prospect signings through free agency). Benning has been very solid at the draft but he'd be looking even better if he was also busy supplementing each year's picks with a few "free prospect" signings.

Hopefully Benning has some things in the works and will be making use of the half dozen or so (after slides) contract slots he still has available.

Adding Caggiula could be a good place to start.

Kind of like everyone wanted to sign Steve Moses, who couldn't for whatever reason even stick it out in the AHL even though he lit up the KHL.

Or, do we have to even mention it, Justin Schultz who was supposed to be the second coming of Paul Coffey but is basically just a lot of 'Meh' right now? 

Kid's got a few points on a VERY stacked ND team, but he's not dominating at that level by any means. 

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Kind of like everyone wanted to sign Steve Moses, who couldn't for whatever reason even stick it out in the AHL even though he lit up the KHL.

Or, do we have to even mention it, Justin Schultz who was supposed to be the second coming of Paul Coffey but is basically just a lot of 'Meh' right now? 

Kid's got a few points on a VERY stacked ND team, but he's not dominating at that level by any means. 

If you watched the games you would see he is a critical part of that top line. No one is saying he's going to be a star or anything. He would make for a good depth signing who also has potential to be middle 6 forward.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Whats a Low risk high reward

13 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Whats a Low risk high reward

If JB's taking flyers on guys, I'd just as soon he went after a defenceman.  NHL teams only have 50 contracts allowed I believe it is, so it's not like they can just sign unlimited number of guys because they are FA's.   There will obviously be interest in Drake because he's putting up some 'moderate in my opinion' numbers (on what is a VERY stacked ND team mind you).  I just don't see him being the next Martin St. Louis who absolutely DOMINATED NCAA hockey and never got drafted and ended up signed until later. 

This organization doesn't need depth forwards, we need defencemen imo. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Canucks should really take a look at Cam Johnson of UND as well. He's putting up crazy numbers as a sophomore, albeit on a top ranked team.

We can never have too many goalies in the system. He could potentially make a solid 1-2 combo with Demko in Utica.

Rhett Gardner and troy Stetcher would also be my targets.

Stetcher is a local kid and a great player.

Rhett Gardner might not have the best statsheet but the guy is built like a Ox just like Horvat. He's great at faceoffs and also stellar at the PK. He's a guy that can easily become a 3rd line center in the NHL if he keeps developing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2016 at 0:22 AM, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Well, I firmly believe that the undrafted pool of prospects playing in different leagues have untapped potential that most teams fail to take advantage off. A team like Chicago has done a masterful job of doing so as one of the many ways to bring prime talent into their team and increase their organizational depth.

According to this, Chicago may have some interest. Certainly the Canucks are watching closely considering the linkage to one of the top prospects.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/2/11/10965772/blackhawks-drake-caggiula-free-agent-rumors-nick-schmaltz-north-dakota-stats-2016

On January 8, 2016 at 1:15 PM, funkyfresh said:

If you watched the games you would see he is a critical part of that top line. No one is saying he's going to be a star or anything. He would make for a good depth signing who also has potential to be middle 6 forward.

Thanks for  posting this. I had no idea Chicago is interested as well not surprised though.

3 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

According to this, Chicago may have some interest. Certainly the Canucks are watching closely considering the linkage to one of the top prospects.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2016/2/11/10965772/blackhawks-drake-caggiula-free-agent-rumors-nick-schmaltz-north-dakota-stats-2016

Not much room for him in Chicago's top 6.

He'd be more likely to get playing time here if he can make the jump.

I can definitely see the Canucks offering Drake Caggiula a shot. There's a youth movement happening in Vancouver and a legitimate chance of making the Canucks roster next season, if he does sign with the Canucks. It probably helps that the Canucks have his linemate, Brock Boeser, in there system. However, as others have pointed out, he also plays with a Chicago Blackhawks prospect.... Though, Chicago has a very firm top 6 and though he'd be well suited for a bottom 9 role, the Blackhawks do have a ton of guys like Caggiula in there system -- and some guys have panned out better then others. If I was Caggiula, I'd definitely be interested in what the Blackhawks are offering, but I just don't see what the appeal is outside a "chance" at being on a team that could go far in the playoffs.

On the flip side, with the glut of forwards in the Canucks system -- all of whom are vying for NHL time -- it's hard to see why Caggiula would really want to sign here too. He'd be competing with the likes of Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Etem, Grenier, and Zalewski for a bottom six role. So it's hard to say. But again, if I had my way, I'd hope that the Canucks do sign him. Caggiula is a standout player and will be in the NHL shortly. He was a highly sought after College UFA last season but opted to stay in college to play out his final year in the NCAA and finish getting his education. It's a smart move and a classy move. He'd be a good character guy for Vancouver to have.

As others have said, the UND prospect that really intrigues me -- and has the best shot of being a Canuck -- is Troy Stretcher. He's a shorter D-Man but he's a local boy and a good defenseman. With the Canucks paper thin defensive prospect pool, he'd be a welcome addition to the Canucks. I'll be thoroughly disappointed if he doesn't sign here. I suspect the only reason Stretcher doesn't sign here is because the Canucks don't offer him a contract which would be a bonehead decision.

As for Cam Johnson, as previously mentioned, I think he's a goalie prospect to keep an eye out on for sure -- however, I don't think the Canucks will make a serious play for him this season. I suspect Cam will return for at least one more season or two before turning pro. As it stands, I'm of the belief that the Canucks will sign Thatcher Demko and Jackson Whistle (Kelowna Rockets goalie) this coming summer. Both guys have been on the Canucks radar for awhile now (Demko is obviously being a 2nd round pick and all) -- but Jackson Whistle has attended two Canucks development camps and actually played pretty well during training camp this year. With Joe Cannata not exactly lighting it up and Clay Witt being on an AHL contract (and sucking it up in the ECHL, I may add) -- the Canucks will likely try and develop these two guys with the likely scenario being that Richard Bachman and Thatcher Demko split time in the AHL while Jackson Whistle plays it up in the ECHL -- before Bachman leaves the Canucks organization and we get a Demko/Whistle tandem in 2017-2018 down in Utica with Thatcher becoming Markstrom's back up the following season (or maybe sooner depending on his development track down in the AHL). It's all hypothetical at this point, but that's what I assume Benning's plan is based on what I've seen and read.

When it comes to other College UFAs the Canucks will likely take runs at (or, in my opinion, should take runs at) will likely be Ahti Oksanen (Boston University), Matias Cleland (U. New Hampshire), Teddy Doherty (Boston College), and Brandon Tanev (Boston University). Ahti, Matias, and Teddy are all D-men. Brandon, brother of Chris, is a Forward. The Canucks will not get all of them but I hope they get at least 3 out of the batch (and that includes Troy Stretcher and Drake Caggiula). If the Canucks can lock of Troy Stretcher, Teddy Doherty, and Drake Caggiula -- I'd be stoked.

How about Macoy Erkamps of the Brandon Wheat Kings?  

Admittedly, I've never seen him play, but his stats look good.

Right shot defenceman from Delta, BC.   6' 198 lbs.   He just turned 21 last week. 

10 goals, 41 assists in 54 games, and is a +21 with 50 penalty minutes.

He has more points than Ivan Provorov , Jake Bean, Parker Wotherspoon, Travis Sanheim, Jack Dougherty, Caleb Jones, and Joe Hicketts.   Provorov and Sanheim have played fewer games though (44 and 34).

He has the same number of points as Ethan Bear (Edmonton prospect picked #124 overall last year).

The only WHL defensemen outscoring him is Andrew Nielsen (Toronto prospect picked #65 overall last year).

2 hours ago, Agoork said:

How about Macoy Erkamps of the Brandon Wheat Kings?  

Admittedly, I've never seen him play, but his stats look good.

Right shot defenceman from Delta, BC.   6' 198 lbs.   He just turned 21 last week. 

10 goals, 41 assists in 54 games, and is a +21 with 50 penalty minutes.

He has more points than Ivan Provorov , Jake Bean, Parker Wotherspoon, Travis Sanheim, Jack Dougherty, Caleb Jones, and Joe Hicketts.   Provorov and Sanheim have played fewer games though (44 and 34).

He has the same number of points as Ethan Bear (Edmonton prospect picked #124 overall last year).

The only WHL defensemen outscoring him is Andrew Nielsen (Toronto prospect picked #65 overall last year).

over ager but has solid numbers, if we can move out a few bad contracts that we buried I am all for signing youth, they all wont pan out so the more options you have the better

• 3 weeks later...

Archived