The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UND HOCKEY : Drake Caggiula (undrafted/unsigned)

Tavrohorvat53

3 hours ago, suitup said:

Really? I've watched Schmaltz play throughout the season as well as McCann. Schmaltz is no slouch either.

Yeah except Schmaltz is basically a year older than McCann and on the best line in college hockey.. I'd expect if McCann was centering Cagguila and Boeser, he would be lighting up the NCAA. 

The Drake Caggiula tour is a thing, and it could be coming to a city near you.

On Monday, TSN’s Frank Seravalli reported that Caggiula — the University of North Dakota standout named most outstanding player at the Frozen Four — has narrowed his list of NHL suitors to six: Philadelphia, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Chicago and Buffalo.

More:

Caggiula is expected to visit the Oilers sometime next week, where a tour of Edmonton’s new arena will likely be part of the game plan, followed by stops in Vancouver and Ottawa. It is believed he will make a visit to all of the teams on his list before making a decision.

Before Monday’s raucous game, Caggiula reportedly went to lunch with Flyers GM Ron Hextall and head coach Dave Hakstol.

Hakstol, of course, recruited Caggiula and coached him at North Dakota prior to taking the Flyers gig. So it’s easy to see the connection there.

Vancouver’s an intriguing landing spot too, because Caggiula’s running mates at UND — Brock Boeser and Troy Stecher — are both Canucks property. Vancouver took Boeser in the first round of the ’15 draft and Stecher, an undrafted free agent, signed an entry-level deal last week.

6 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

Gotta think it's down to Philly and maybe Buffalo/Vancouver. Best chance to play minutes (either in the AHL or 3rd/4th line NHL).

Probably right now Philly is front runner unless Vancouver or Buffalo has something more to offer, like you said, with best chance to play minutes and who has a better chance with winning. Also what will weigh into his decision is the time frame expected to be on the roster spot.

16 hours ago, LordHorvat said:

Probably right now Philly is front runner unless Vancouver or Buffalo has something more to offer, like you said, with best chance to play minutes and who has a better chance with winning. Also what will weigh into his decision is the time frame expected to be on the roster spot.

I would think the Canucks have a pretty solid offer of offering him a spot if he can show he deserves a spot. Especially after sending 2 vets down to make room for youth this year! Which other team can make that claim? Of course Edmonton lol but that's cause he's already as good as any roster spot on their team LOL

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

drake signs here and boeser signs next summer look out our prospect poole is excellent  if this happens 

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

drake signs here and boeser signs next summer look out our prospect poole is excellent  if this happens 

Quickly becoming Team USA North! :) 

Our two best players will be 36 next season and we currently play third liners in our top 6. Talk about a lot of opportunities! I feel pretty positive about this one. Maybe its just the positive feeling of Stetcher and Demko signing. Would be really nice adding Cagguila to that list. That alone could already be a pretty nice haul for prospects this offseason before the draft even happens.

I think Benning will wait until he sees the ping pong balls on April 30 before he makes a decision on Caggiula. I'm thinking if we get 2 or 3 and pick a Finn there is no room for Caggiula on the big club so he may opt to sign with another team to try and make the NHL next year. If we get the 6th pick then maybe Benning goes all out to try and sign him and then we draft a D. 

18 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I think Benning will wait until he sees the ping pong balls on April 30 before he makes a decision on Caggiula. I'm thinking if we get 2 or 3 and pick a Finn there is no room for Caggiula on the big club so he may opt to sign with another team to try and make the NHL next year. If we get the 6th pick then maybe Benning goes all out to try and sign him and then we draft a D. 

If Caggiula picks Van, why wouldn't JB will sign him? JB has been in contact with him and all.

Regardless of where the ball drops- Having too many young, talented forwards isn't a bad problem to have. 

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

If Caggiula picks Van, why wouldn't JB will sign him? JB has been in contact with him and all.

Regardless of where the ball drops- Having too many young, talented forwards isn't a bad problem to have. 

True. But if another team offers him a spot on the big team why would he accept Vancouver if he knows he's going to Utica for $70,000?

Just now, Harvey Spector said:

True. But if another team offers him a spot on the big team why would he accept Vancouver if he knows he's going to Utica for $70,000?

Right... But I was replying to this statement in your post

2 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

I think Benning will wait until he sees the ping pong balls on April 30 before he makes a decision on Caggiula. 

I doubt the draft order will change JB's interest in him. If Cagguila decides before the draft ,or after, that he wants to be in Van, JB's not saying "no thanks".

Having watched Caggiula several times, I'd be excited to see him play in the NHL; I wonder about his size, but so many smaller forwards are having excellent seasons that he'd probably be okay, even in our heavyweight division. If, however, he doesn't sign with the Canucks, I'd love to see him in Philly too; they need scoring and the Hakstol connection is too close to pass up.

What a chance this kid has!

I'd be really excited about getting Drake on board. He's got some Tyler Ennis and Brendan Gallagher in him that I find really enticing. I can see him becoming a 3rd line/fill-in 2nd line type of player that every playoff team seems to have nowadays. He might be on the smaller side but he plays a physical game and if he doesn't become a Tyler Ennis type, he is more than capable of becoming a Gallagher. 

I think realistically it's down to the Canucks and the Flyers. He would be a great fit for either team.

A smart, skilled, and gritty buzzsaw of a winger that gets up and down the ice with focused drive. His mobility is elite, and his first three steps propel him to top speed quickly. Defensively, he is very active and can contain the opposition by limiting their chances in the slot. Offensively, he can be uncontainable, consistently displaying excellent vision and individual puck skills; can act as both the passer or the shooter in any given situation. An all-around game, rooted in his strong will to win and his ability to make the players around him better, is what he brings each and every night. Character is something built through tough situational battles and having to step up at key moments as a leader. Caggiula has the capacity to be that leader on and off the ice. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=97396#sthash.Yeicslps.dpuf

Archived