The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UND HOCKEY : Drake Caggiula (undrafted/unsigned)

Tavrohorvat53

On 3/12/2016 at 7:12 PM, WTG said:

Great hands and hockey IQ but lacking in size, speed and release.  You think NHL defensemen are going to let this guy stickhandle his way to the blue paint? Are NHL goalies all going to open up their 5 holes so he can score.

People crap all over Vey but want this guy.  Weird.

26 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

Great hands and hockey IQ but lacking in size, speed and release.  You think NHL defensemen are going to let this guy stickhandle his way to the blue paint? Are NHL goalies all going to open up their 5 holes so he can score.

Try those moves in the NHL and he'll become a stain on the ice.  We'll just grab Ronning instead.

26 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

It's true. You could make a Curtis Valk highlight package that makes him look this good, but it doesn't mean he's going to be successful at the next level though.

That being said, anytime you can sign a prospect for free, even if they're a long shot to reach their potential, you do it. He definitely has the skill set to be a good player, other parts of his game will have to be worked on though.

• 1 month later...
On March 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Try those moves in the NHL and he'll become a stain on the ice.  We'll just grab Ronning instead.

If we're about to pick a smallish forward in the later rounds there are better players than Ronning available. One for example is Mathew Phillips #11 of the Victoria Royals.

Our own Johnny hockey 

I like him.

But I must stop liking all these small guys, we are small enough. I am watching games in the playoffs just now and it is a real slap in the face with a frozen salmon, whenever I think we should draft small players.

Unless he is the next Johnny H then we must say no thanks.

There's no real reason NOT to give him a shot to play in the AHL and see if he can translate his game to playing against real competition. We have the roster spots in Utica to give him a year there since we'll be filling our ranks next year with young players. Give him the contract he wants and see if he flourishes.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I like him.

But I must stop liking all these small guys, we are small enough. I am watching games in the playoffs just now and it is a real slap in the face with a frozen salmon, whenever I think we should draft small players.

Great points. There was a reason he went undrafted. Unless your really talented it's very hard to play in the NHL if you're a 5'10" guy. I like Stecher because he seems to have great vision and knows where to be on the ice. And even though he's only 5'10" he's built like a tank and can take physical punishment. Also a great skater. I don't see that with Caggiula. He's just another smallish forward with some good talent. But in the NHL those guys get eaten up. Unless he brings some real jam to his game he could be a career AHL'er. 

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I like him.

How do you know that he's not? Its not like the Canucks are spending a 1rst round pick on him. He'd be a free prospect and who knows he could turn out to be better then all the small guys we got. The way people should look at this is if theres contract room then yes please. Its really no risk giving him a couple seasons in Utica to see if his game translates and COULD be a very high reward. Could also make Vancouver a more attractive sign for Boeser having good friends in Stetcher and Caggiula on the team.

4 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

lol some of you have been drinking the BENNING kool-aid. 

size? skill matters, go look at tyler johnson from the Tampa Bay Lightening. I would rather have a guy who has skill then some plugs who are just big. Size isn't everything the Hawks prove it year in and out, yet Benning insists on filling the team with grinders.

Ya that Boeser is such a two way plug right?

5 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

size? skill matters, go look at tyler johnson from the Tampa Bay Lightening. I would rather have a guy who has skill then some plugs who are just big. Size isn't everything the Hawks prove it year in and out, yet Benning insists on filling the team with grinders.

You have no idea what you are talking about

5 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

You're right Desi.  I think JB is focussing on character, or at least he's preaching that.  Character is hard to define though; its kind of abstract.  I hope part of the character JB is talking about is a player's willingness to compete, no matter their size.  Whether the guy is big or small, we want hyper compete.  At least I hope JB sees that as part of character?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You're right Desi.  I think JB is focussing on character, or at least he's preaching that.  Character is hard to define though; its kind of abstract.  I hope part of the character JB is talking about is a player's willingness to compete, no matter their size.  Whether the guy is big or small, we want hyper compete.  At least I hope JB sees that as part of character?  

JB thinks like  Don Cherry, also has a ego that can't be stopped. Like trading Shink for no reason. Brace yourself draft will be something.

12 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Is that why Benning went out and acquired those big grinders like Vey, Baerschi, Granlund, and traded Kassian? Man that Benning guy just can't get over the tough bruiser prospects.

Archived