The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Horvat Proposal} Not so simple roster transition into next year!

Horvat

First focusing on our current forward situation; 

As of now Both Shinkaruk and Gaunce seem to be establishing a great pro game so far in the AHL that said, right off the bat i think the oven baked method of developeing Shinkaruk is the way to go, give him one more season to get his routine going and another year to establish hmself and his own playstyle. On the other hand, Gaunce is playing a great defensive game a will fit nicely in our bottom six nexy year, so you can now assume that's my prediction {Gaunce makes the team out of the gate as Shinkaruk stays down and developes more, into a top six offensive roll}

Anton Rodin is also a wildcard, can he produce at top6 pace like he could in the SHL? @ 16 goals and 20 assists in just 31 games played? We'll see how the rest of his season goes! 

This leaves a certain 10 players on lock for next seasons roster, Including; Sedin Twins, Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Sutter, Baertschi, Etem, Gaunce, and Dorsett. With Higgins in the AHL, last spot is up to 4 Players in reality {Hansen, Rodin, Burrows, or Shinkaruk} I would expect Hansen although I'd love for it to be Rodin, so I'll debate for Horvats sake that Rodin actually makes the team out of pre-season. {Virtanen will play on his opposite wing}

Defense is more cloudy for me; Can Pedan make the jump? Is Biega here to stay? If so what happens to Weber and Bartkowski? Hamhuis will be dealt ,or will walk, freeing up some extra cap space. Hutton playing in the top4 is enevitable, This leaves us with 4 middling defence men in Edler, Tanev, Hutton, and Sbisa, and two question marks in Biega and Pedan...Benning needs to use his new Capspace accordingly to fill the last holes being the BDA and BFA {best defenceman available, and best forward available} Ex; Stamkos > Okposo > Lucic, and Yandle > Goligoski > Russell 

""Sedin - Sedin - Okposo*

Baertschi- Horvat - Etem*

Virtanen - McCann - Rodin*

Gaunce* - Sutter - Dorsett

Edler - Goligoski*

Tanev - Hutton

Sbisa - Pedan*""

Gone Via trade or free agency; Hamhuis, Vrbata, Hansen, Burrows, Weber, Prust, Higgins, and Bartkowski

Not bad. I don't think Shinkaruk needs an extra 2 seasons unless he doesn't do well next year. The thing with Shinkaruk is that with the amount of depth this team has at the moment, despite his so far great year in the A, he looks like he's been going downwards in the depth charts yet again. Not by a lot like he was coming into last year. But Etem by default looks as if he's surpassed Shinkaruk (given his age and experience) and possibly by Vey if the Nucks decide to keep him although I don't see that happening if Sutter returns. Shinkaruk is easily far better player than Vey.

Another issue with Shinkaruk is that if he's going to make the team, he needs to be in the top 6 playing with quality line-mates and with decent minutes (13-14 minutes a night). His game isn't suited with bottom 6 players. As tough and tenacious he is around the boards, he can't be utilized as a 3rd line grinder. We need to ultimately utilize his offensive side to the game and that starts with being with quality mates and decent minutes.

A good thing however, is that he can create offense in any given line, which could be an argument to the above. 

However, Sutter shouldn't be on the 4th line. 

IMO, I think Shinkaruk/Baer will be traded to make space for another. They both play similar offensive minded games, and their play style wouldn't fit in our bottom 6, the only roster spot we might have open for them. 

Personally, I would move Shinkaruk, because, Baer is ripping it up right now, and he seems to have some amazing chemistry with Bo. I'm assuming we will be taking a winger in this draft year, the high quantity of them. Shink could be moved, for someone like Derrick Pouliot, or Shink+ for Theodore, both PMD. That way, we shore up our defense for the future, but still have a solid top 6. 

The defense is still way too undersized and lacks physicality.

Tanev - Hutton pairing while very good at getting pucks up ice, will be beaten into submission most nights.

Same with Edler - Goligoski

I'm hoping that Benning can deal Edler to another team as he lacks the consistency to deserve a top 4 role, and the leadership to mentor the young defensemen coming in.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes. Why not give the opportunity to see Virtanen and McCann in the AHL, at least start the year off there.  McCann needs to work on his strength and Virtanen on his offense.  We have a great system in Utica that can help these players play big minutes.  Let’s be honest if we had the chance to put them in the AHL this year and not send them back to junior, that’s where they would be playing.  And if Shinkaruk plays another year in the AHL, them three would make a "real good" top line.

Again is depends on how the rest of the season goes.  We need to see continual improvement, we don’t need to rush them.  If we do that it also opens up spots for players who are no longer waiver exempt to showcase themselves.  Etem, Vey, Kenins, Grenier.

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Lucic - Sutter - Rodin/Burrows?

Baertschi- Horvat – Etem

Gaunce - Vey - Dorsett

Kenins, Grenier

Defense is a whole other issue.  Our main focus should be going after a big, young, RHD like Gudbranson to fit in with our other young D core of Hutton and Tanev.  Then use the cap savings to go after a UFA D like Yandle.

2 hours ago, SwedeHockey said:

IMO, I think Shinkaruk/Baer will be traded to make space for another. They both play similar offensive minded games, and their play style wouldn't fit in our bottom 6, the only roster spot we might have open for them. 

Personally, I would move Shinkaruk, because, Baer is ripping it up right now, and he seems to have some amazing chemistry with Bo. I'm assuming we will be taking a winger in this draft year, the high quantity of them. Shink could be moved, for someone like Derrick Pouliot, or Shink+ for Theodore, both PMD. That way, we shore up our defense for the future, but still have a solid top 6. 

Shinkaruk and Baertschi are totally different players.  Shinkaruk is a finisher - he needs a playmaking centre to get him the puck.  Baertschi is a playmaker - he needs a finisher on his line.

Benning talks of Shinkaruk as being someone that will score goals while he talks of Baertschi as someone that is going to create plays and generate offence.  Different roles for very different players.  

Our top priority for the offseason should be resigning some of our expiring contracts. We have about 19 million in cap space, this should be done easily. We don't need to resign Vrbata, Prust, Vey, Weber or Hamhuis. Hamhuis is a tough call, but I think having extra cap space will be important. He might just retire after this year anyways. The guys that we need to resign are Baertschi, Cracknell, Etem, Pedan and Biega. Trade Higgins for a 7th in the offseason for an extra 2.5 million in cap space. We should be able to get these guys on fairly good contracts:

Baertschi: 3-years, 2 million

Etem: 3-years, 1.5 million

Cracknell: 2-years, 1.25 million

Pedan: 3-years, 1.25 million 

Biega: 3-years, 1.5 million 

Total Cap Spent: 9.25 million

Total Cap Space: 14.25 million

From here, I don't think we should be signing any big name players. We just need one or two defensmen. We are set with young upcoming wingers with Baertschi, Shinkaurik, Gaunce, Virtanen and eventually Boeser. Having the ability to open a roster spot when we need to is invaluable, and we are seeing the effects of it now with Higgins being sent down. The defensmen I think we should pursue is Demers. He wouldn't revolutionize our defends by any means, but he is a steady improvement. Next, I would go for Russell. If we could get him along with Demers, we would be in good shape:

Demers: 4-years, 4.5 million

Russell: 4-years, 4.75 million

Total Cap Spent: 9.25 million

Total Cap Space: About 5 million

This leaves us with plenty of cap space and a much better defense. We don't get any high end wingers, but we don't need them right now with our young guys ready to come up. 

2016-17 Lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce* - Sutter - Dorsett

Etem - McCann - Virtanen

Shinkaurik*, Cracknell (Gaunce and Shinkaurik rotate)

Edler - Tanev

Russell - Demers

Hutton - Sbisa

Pedan, Biega

Miller

Markstrom

That is a better lineup than we had this year, and we have an infinitely better cap situation. In 2016-17, we have Burrows, Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom and Miller coming off the books. We can probably let Miller walk/ trade him, but we need new contracts for Horvat, Hutton, Markstrom and Burrows. 

The year after, we have the Sedins, Hansen, McCann, Virtanen, Edler and Sbisa all needing new contracts. Depending on Sbisa/Hutton's improvement, he might not need a contract, but the rest of them will. That's why we need to make sure we have the cap space for the future now.

Think McCann is gonna be in the AHL for the start of the next year, Virtanen may stay up though. McCann being a slender built centre could use the AHL minutes before full time NHL. 

Rodin I have no clue what the organization has plans for but I think Grenier is waiver eligible next year if so I would guess he gets 4th line// 13th forward type duties.

also the way Vey has been playing don't you think he's deserves at least a thought? If he continues I think he'd get another contract

Update:

I've had a revalation:

If Both McCann and Virtanen could play together in the AHL for a season that would be tremendous along with Boeser

Call both Gaunce and Shinkaruk up for next year.

After re-signing a few players like Biega, Baertschi, Etem, Cracknell, and Pedan we won't have room for top end players, i say save some cap and just sign Russell.

Keep Burrows for one more season or atleast a part.

Rolling 4 lines and 3 pairs

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin :) 

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Etem :) 

Gaunce - Friesen/Cracknell - Dorsett

Kenins

Edler - Tanev :) 

Russell - Hutton :) 

Sbisa - Pedan :) 

Biega 

Markstom :) 

Miller

Bake McCann, Virtanen, and Boeser for 2017

7 hours ago, Horvat said:

Update:

I've had a revalation:

If Both McCann and Virtanen could play together in the AHL for a season that would be tremendous along with Boeser

Call both Gaunce and Shinkaruk up for next year.

After re-signing a few players like Biega, Baertschi, Etem, Cracknell, and Pedan we won't have room for top end players, i say save some cap and just sign Russell.

Keep Burrows for one more season or atleast a part.

Rolling 4 lines and 3 pairs

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin :) 

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Etem :) 

Gaunce - Friesen/Cracknell - Dorsett

Kenins

Edler - Tanev :) 

Russell - Hutton :) 

Sbisa - Pedan :) 

Biega 

Markstom :) 

Miller

Bake McCann, Virtanen, and Boeser for 2017

That's s decent thought as well. If we want to have Virtanen and McCann in the AHL, we should be resigning Vey, though. That may not exactly be a bad thing as he has been playing a lot better with Etem.

Baertschi: 3-years, 2 million

Etem: 3-years, 1.5 million

Cracknell: 2-years, 1.25 million

Pedan: 3-years, 1.25 million 

Biega: 3-years, 1.5 million 

Vey: 2-years, 1 million

Kenins: 3-years, 700,000

Demers: 4-years, 4.5 million

Total Cap Space: 5.3 million 

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Gaunce - Sutter - Dorsett

Shinkaurik - Vey - Etem

Cracknell, Kenins

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Demers

Hutton - Pedan

Biega

Miller

Markstrom

That is also pretty good.

1 hour ago, Horvat said:

I'd have to agree with the Vey argument, although, I'd much rather have Russell over Demers

The biggest thing for me is that Demers is a right-handed shot, unlike Russell. I'm pretty sure Russell can play the left side with his skating ability, but we just need more right handed shots on our blueline. Russell would be my second option though, and I wouldn't at all be disappointed with him.

Archived