The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just a confused trade at the Deadline Poster(Discussion)

We keep winning, our 2 veteran Centers are on the side line, and our goalies could stop nuclear missiles right now. I mean, everyone's in a big cluster, who knows who will make the playoffs and who won't? You can see Anaheim is getting stronger, Arizona doesn't seem to want to go away, Calgary seems to have their issues settled, San Jose is looking pretty strong, and we just keep winning with mirrors.

And after all that and  we go into Boston and have a honest, hard working game and take 2 points. We are average? Slightly above average, slightly below average.......you just can't tell, and I don't just want to give up for the sake of a better pick.....

I have no idea what to do with Miller, Vrbata, and Hamhuis..........never mind the lesser pieces!.......This would be a good time to move those pieces, if there was any indication we would falter, but how the hell is Benning to know?

I hated when assets just walk but............$$&$#$#@@!..........what is he to do? I actually don't want Vrbata on the team next year, so does it mean he walks? Miller is showing well right now....what if someone makes an offer?, Hamhuis will  resign, but I am starting to question his age, big time, sure he is worth 3 million next year, but is he worth more? What if he could pull in a good return? We are winning with out him right now, so do we move him?

We are 6 - 2 - 2 in our last 10, and that stacks up good against just about everyone......LOL

Man, what a crazy year! I am enjoying it, but I guest we just wait it out and see what happens........lots of talk around our water cooler at work!'

Thinking they should keep Vrbata given how well he's played with Baervat.  Jake is a solid choice for the future but it's always good to have veterans showing the kids the way instead of putting guys like Jake into the spotlight right away, as it would be good to insulate Jake instead of throwing him to the wolves when he may not be ready.  

Hammer I wouldn't be surprised to see traded (e.g. to Dallas), and hope he can bring a solid D-man prospect in return.  Don't see him here after the deadline as Hutton's playing more in his absence.

Miller could be interesting, not sure what kind of market there is for him but I'd keep the two-headed beast with him and Markstrom as the team could easily ship him out next season (he's also having an off year so far which might affect the return).  

23 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

we are only where were at because of loser points.   take them away and we are cellar dwellers.

The youth have held their own as middling nhlers, so they have upside for sure. 

Canucks should be sellers at the deadline and cash in what ever returns they can get for the ufas that aren't in our future, and maybe still trade a couple that will come back at season end , like hamhuis. 

if we are going to middle around maybe we could package a trade to upgrade our 1st rounder of 2016, to get a top 6 player out of the draft.

Benning needs a cant miss pick this year, not projects.    

As for playoffs , we don't have defensive depth once again so expectations are first round exits for sure, so why hold all your cards for that?       

SELLERS  

Yes, we absolutely should be sellers at the deadline.

Do you think the Betman Cap era NHL is pretty much an even league, and what truly separates teams is the top few players each team has?  It's like the bottom nine forwards and the bottom 4 defense men are relatively even.  It's that top group that separates the teams?  We need to get two top forwards and a D, if we want to be Cup competitive again. IMHAO

The high number of overtime games illustrate only one thing to me, the team is not good enough yet to be a top shelf team yet.the single point games artifically inflate expectations that the team is really better than it is. this has allowed it to drift somewhat without the actual urgency to do something to really improve in the short to medium term.

The market conditions are as good as they can be this year it is time too,

SELL SELL SELL  grab an hoard picks picks picks picks 

Then move on to the draft table second round grab an fill positions long term fill the holes 

Move three is buy bidd bid bid to major two or three players who are true game impact players an add to what Van is on the way to building 

Reload done;manage, assess, develop an reassess, review an tweak it little bit,to achieve final results desired.

I know management is wanting to make the playoffs while rebuilding, but the latter is going to be far more difficult if they focus on the former.  We need to drop whatever vets (especially the UFAs) that we can get something for in order to help facilitate the rebuild.  The Sedins and Sutter (with his unfortunate contract and isn't going anywhere) are vets enough to help teach the young guys.  I do think a vet on defense is a good idea to help teach the young defensemen a thing or two - though our only option there is Hamhuis.  With that said, as a UFA we might as well trade him to a contender if we can since I'm sure we wouldn't be willing to pay him what he'd get on the market.

Trade Vrbata.  Should get us a good 2nd round pick.  Trade Prust for a 6th or whatever we can get.  Hansen and Sedins (obviously) we keep.  Qualify Vey (he's getting better), Etem and Baertschi.   Trade Bartkowski and Weber if we can get anything at all for them.  Re-sign Biega for under 1m as a 7th d-man.  Trade Hamhuis for a 2nd.  Trade Miller for whatever we can get for him. I believe Markstrom has enough experience and talent to be our #1.  Trade Burrows with retained salary for a 3rd.

If we keep him around for another year, I'd be happy to see us re-sign him at 2m if he was interested.

These moves should allow us to sign one or two quality UFAs for next season, while providing us more options in the draft.

Here's just for the heck of it, assuming we could sign Stamkos, Lucic, Yandle, and Schenn. 

Forwards:
Sedin Sedin Stamkos   - 7,7,10= 24
Lucic Horvat Hansen - 6.5, 1, 2.5 = 10
Baerstchi Sutter Virtanen - 1, 4, 1 = 6
Shink, McCann Dorsett -  1, 1, 2.5 = 4.5
Etem, Vey - 1, 1, = 2.5
Forward lines: About 47m

Defense:
Edler, Tanev - 5, 4.5 = 9.5
Schenn, Yandle - 2, 6 = 8
Sbisa, Hutton - 3.5, 1 = 4.5
Biega - 1

Defense: About 23m

Goaltending: Markstrom, Reimer - 1.5, 3 = About 4.5

Total Salary: About 74.5m.  Which is the expected cap.

Now you tell me if that's a cup contending team or not. 

For this team to succeed you need to work from the back end forward. In goal they are not the reason we are in this situation. This means the lack of a defence with substance is the main problem. Hamhuis and Edler could go and get more defensively responsible replacements.

Trade Vrbata. I still want a late 1st for him but we will see if that happens. Actually what i really want is a bubble team to trade their first for him and then fail to make the playoffs so we could have a chance at the lottery pick. Dont touch miller this year unless a team comes and offers a massive overpayment and miller is willing to waive his no move or whatever contract he has. With Hamhuis being injured I dont know if we can move him for a good payment so may be better to do nothing and see if we can resign him at a discount for another year or 2.

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

bettmans parity rules and money exchanges have surely evened out the league.  the divisions wildcard, and loser point and richer teams funding poor teams, lol its a joke. 

Well if we lose vrbata we will definatly need a quality replacement and not another rookie.   as for defense we need at least 2 solid dmen one point producing power play , and one stay at home d man.    not just a couple of guys to get you to 2017 like this years group, but some longer term big ticket players. 

You look at the good teams most of them have brand name dmen not barkowskis and webers.    And they need to get a in your face type  dman, a young beiksa type.   They are out there to be had.   

JB has to prove his worth this deadline and draft day, with a grade moves , not fixer upers  and gambles.

Players that have a long term forecast.

I like your use of metaphor.  It makes your post really easy, for this old furry assed, and not overly bright alien, to understand.  JB does seem to have a liking for the fixer upper.  Vey, Baer, Etem, Paden, etc.  It's time, as you say, for him to sign a couple shiny low miles top quality players.  Plus, get a couple new models - not Hyundi, but BMW.  

4 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I'm pretty sure your not ALIEN but furry assed ??  lol    I agree with the BMW.   Driving in a Pinto with a full tank doesn't suggest long term.

We need exactly what you point out.  JB promotes himself as a super scout, almost arrogantly suggesting he's so good he's able to draft BMWs at Pinto spots.  Has he done that?  

On January 22, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Phil_314 said:

Thinking they should keep Vrbata given how well he's played with Baervat.  Jake is a solid choice for the future but it's always good to have veterans showing the kids the way instead of putting guys like Jake into the spotlight right away, as it would be good to insulate Jake instead of throwing him to the wolves when he may not be ready.  

Hammer I wouldn't be surprised to see traded (e.g. to Dallas), and hope he can bring a solid D-man prospect in return.  Don't see him here after the deadline as Hutton's playing more in his absence.

Miller could be interesting, not sure what kind of market there is for him but I'd keep the two-headed beast with him and Markstrom as the team could easily ship him out next season (he's also having an off year so far which might affect the return).  

Hammer with NTC is a bit arduous and he is quite embedded here... I'm hoping he comes back and shows he can play. A good Hamhuis is worth the keep. I think Miller is here for next season as well to share the load like a 52//30 type of split with variance due to performance or injuries.

They legit want to make the play offs this year because they know how much the play off experience means to the young guys like Horvat, McCann and JV. Which means they will most likely keep Vrbata. We're going to need some big goals from Vrbata if we're going to make the play offs this year so my guess is Benning holds on to him.  

Archived