The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Playoffs or no Playoffs, JB has to trade Hammer and Vrbata

Without question JB has to do the right thing for his club, that's his job. Letting two decent assets walk at the end of the year and nothing to show for it would be doing a disservice to his club. With that said the other factor is JB himself. Probably one of the finest scouting GM's in the NHL(just look at what players he's obtained with late first rounders and early seconds), if Vrbata can get you a late first and the same with Hamhuis there would be a good chance JB could turn that into two very good prospects and that's exactly what JB should be thinking.

If the Canucks were to squeak into the playoffs, wouldn't that be an excellent opportunity for guys like Shinkurak, Gaunce and Pedan. These 3 players might be regulars next year and a little Stanley Cup playoff action might help in their development.

Obviously the team is going through a massive transition, but I got to be honest Trevor and Jim are surpassing my expectations, there have been a couple of errors but "to error is to be human".

next years lineup:

Sedin    Sedin    Ladd

Baertschi   Horvat   Virtanen

Shinkurak   Sutter   Hansen

Etem    McCann   Dorsett

Fowler    Goligoski

Edler     Tanev

Hutton  Beiga

Players outgoing:

Higgins, Prust, Burrows, Cracknell, Vrbata, Weber and Bartkowski = 18 million off the Cap.

Incoming players:

Ladd(29 years old), Goligoski(30 years old) and JB deals for Fowler(23 years old) from Anaheim,for package; Burrows(we eat 3 million), Vey and a late round 1st.

21 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

if Vrbata can get you a late first

Which is moot, because he can't. Nor will Anaheim trade Fowler.

Hammer may fetch a late 1st, but I wouldn't trade him unless he won't sign at a discount.  Hammer is a commodity other teams will want, he can move the puck and he can log big minutes when he has to.  We need more D, not less.

I would keep Hammer unless JB has a master plan.  I believe and trust in the Jim of the Benning.  He has made some really solid draft choices and player acqusitions.  i believe in JB.  I am predicting we go hard after Yandle in the post season if he isnt traded and signed before the deadline.

I strongly doubt Hamhuis will "walk", regardless of what happens. He has close ties to the community, and I'm sure he's not a fan of moving his family, after years of living in one spot. 

If we do trade him, I hope it's only because he's fine with the decision. If we don't trade him, simply sign him to an affordable extension and let him mentor the young defence which will start coming in next season. 

17 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Which is moot, because he can't. Nor will Anaheim trade Fowler.

Hammer may fetch a late 1st, but I wouldn't trade him unless he won't sign at a discount.  Hammer is a commodity other teams will want, he can move the puck and he can log big minutes when he has to.  We need more D, not less.

You'd be surprised what teams will pay for players like Vrbata at the trading deadline. JB will be offered a first by some team for Vrbata. Wait and see...

Anaheim has to sign Hampus and Sami as they are RFA's, so Hampus is at least 5mil/year and Sami is 4-4.5/year- Cap is all gone and to boot Fowler is rumored to be the odd man out.

JB will do what he will do. He has his eyes set on the future of the hockey club and I believe that he has a masterplan. 

I don't think Vrbata is part of it, as Vrbata is the antithesis of hard to play against. While Hamhuis has lost a step, he is still a far more valuable veteran to teach the youth how to play than any other vet on the blueline. 

2 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I strongly doubt Hamhuis will "walk", regardless of what happens. He has close ties to the community, and I'm sure he's not a fan of moving his family, after years of living in one spot. 

If we do trade him, I hope it's only because he's fine with the decision. If we don't trade him, simply sign him to an affordable extension and let him mentor the young defence which will start coming in next season. 

lol...affordable extension, he's going to want 4-5 mil/year no less and that doesn't work for the club as he could be turned into a first rounder in which JB works his magic. Doesn't that seem better for the club?

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I would keep Hammer unless JB has a master plan.  I believe and trust in the Jim of the Benning.  He has made some really solid draft choices and player acqusitions.  i believe in JB.  I am predicting we go hard after Yandle in the post season if he isnt traded and signed before the deadline.

I hope that the Jim of the Benning has his eyes set on some sizeable defensemen as well to toughen up the back end both physically and mentally. 

4 minutes ago, captaincowbasher said:

lol...affordable extension, he's going to want 4-5 mil/year no less and that doesn't work for the club as he could be turned into a first rounder in which JB works his magic. Doesn't that seem better for the club?

Where have you heard that Hamhuis is looking for that figure? I think Hamhuis will work with the club. He's a pretty humble guy and is a team first player. 

Can't see him trying to cripple the club by demanding the same salary he received last time. 

1 hour ago, captaincowbasher said:

next years lineup:

Sedin    Sedin    Ladd

Baertschi   Horvat   Virtanen

Shinkurak   Sutter   Hansen

Etem    McCann   Dorsett

Fowler    Goligoski

Edler     Tanev

Hutton  Beiga

Players outgoing:

Higgins, Prust, Burrows, Cracknell, Vrbata, Weber and Bartkowski = 18 million off the Cap.

Incoming players:

Ladd(29 years old), Goligoski(30 years old) and JB deals for Fowler(23 years old) from Anaheim,for package; Burrows(we eat 3 million), Vey and a late round 1st.

No. No thank you.

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - McCann - Hansen

Gaunce - Vey - Etem

Dorsett, Grenier

Sbisa - Hutton

Biega - C. Tanev

Pedan - Tryamkin

Bartkowski

JM/RM

RM/JM

CDC over-valuing our players yet again. It should be. 

If the offer is good return we should look at trading Hammer and Vrbata. 

Not, we have to trade them regardless. Would 2 4th rounds picks be acceptable if no one else offered anything? How about 2 7th round picks? 

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

No. No thank you.

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Gaunce - Vey - Etem

Dorsett, Grenier

Sbisa - Hutton

Biega - C. Tanev

Pedan - Tryamkin

Bartkowski

Dont mind the forward lines, but that D is brutal. We must have a fortune in cap space with Edler burrows and higgins back. PLus no major FA signings

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

No. No thank you.

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Gaunce - Vey - Etem

Dorsett, Grenier

Sbisa - Hutton

Biega - C. Tanev

Pedan - Tryamkin

Bartkowski

JM/RM

RM/JM

Sbisa and Hutton as the top pairing surely guarantees a top five pick in the 2017 draft. 

I can see Hutton eventually getting there, but Sbisa is more so a decent 5-6 d man. 

1 hour ago, captaincowbasher said:

You'd be surprised what teams will pay for players like Vrbata at the trading deadline. JB will be offered a first by some team for Vrbata. Wait and see...

Anaheim has to sign Hampus and Sami as they are RFA's, so Hampus is at least 5mil/year and Sami is 4-4.5/year- Cap is all gone and to boot Fowler is rumored to be the odd man out.

I dunno man, Vrbata is having a soft season and is a UFA next year.  I don't see any way we get a first for him.  I hope you are right.

If Fowler is the odd man out, I would hope JB goes for him for sure.  Must be nice to have so many young d-men that you can't sign them all.  I really will be shocked if they don't get them all signed though.

Archived