The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Video] Benning: We won't draft by position, taking best player.

homersexual

23 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

do some research its just how it is. lol

Gotta hand it to ya chilliwiggins. Here I was all excited about Brock's outstanding freshman season against a big step up in size and competition quality. I had totally forgot to do my konecny research. It appears without a doubt after 20 minutes of serious stat viewing and a solid 5 min YouTube highlight reel, that Konecny is on top right now.

14 hours ago, thad said:

How is it looking to be the case? Boeser is killing it. 

Yes , that is fact. I guess "hockey s future" isn't  up to date either. 

"He will need to bulk up to be able to dominate at the NCAA level."

news flash : boeser is dominating in his first year at the NCAA level. 

I guess nobody has noticed. 

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Yes , that is fact. I guess "hockey s future" isn't  up to date either. 

"He will need to bulk up to be able to dominate at the NCAA level."

news flash : boeser is dominating in his first year at the NCAA level. 

I guess nobody has noticed. 

No, we're noticing.

Some noobs were calling him a bust during the WJC because they saw him get knocked off the puck on one shift.

It was like - duh - have a look at what he's doing in the NCAA?

The response was uber-daft - ie - college hockey is for pansies whereas the WJC is the best of the best....and thought the OHL is better than the NCAA   LULZ.

Yeah - nope - Boeser is bossing it up - and the NCAA is good quality competition.

GMJB knows what he's doing.

8 hours ago, Pickly said:

I was at the top prospects game last night and man does Jakob Chychrun look good. He didnt dazzle but you can see the potential to be a cornerstone defenseman on a team. If the Canucks are drafting in the top 6-8 they gotta look at drafting this kid.

Watching on TV I thought he looked assured and relaxed: no mistakes, some nice passes.  He didn't have to be physical in the game, but clearly he can do this.   Like Bieksa but with a little more of the obvious talent.  And like Bieksa, some will have to learn how to pronounce his name!  You could kind of predict Virtanen would be drafted by us when that draft year came around... I have a feeling that Chychrun is our guy this summer.  And Cliff Ronning's son? Has he been drafted yet?

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

In all fairness, we did pick Hutton the round after Mallet.

And if you look at out roster at the end of the 2011 - 2012 season, our defense corps were: Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Ballard, Tanev, Salo, Sultzer, Rome, Alberts and Gragnani, and a number of prospects in the system such as Corrado, Sauve  and Cannauton.

Passing on a defenseman with the first 2 picks that year still seems like a no-brainer. Just unfortunate Mallet hasn't panned out

Severson and Lindell have played NHL and look like studs. Pelech ie expected to. Mallet is not. It was a bad pick.

In 2013 we already had lost Ehrhoff. Were about to sign Garrison. But had pretty much Corrado as our only pipeline prospect. And Tanev was just on the edge of making it. We already knew we needed a PMD.  We already knew we several years behind in stockpiling D prospects and had an empty cupboard.

Everyone knows that, short of a close to generational talent that makes it right out of the draft,most D take 3 to 5 years to establish in the NHL. Starting to draft higher end talents now places us as well positioned in 2018-19 at the earliest. 7 seasons after we lost Ehrhoff.

I don't see that as great planning. Just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Severson and Lindell have played NHL and look like studs. Pelech ie expected to. Mallet is not. It was a bad pick.

In 2013 we already had lost Ehrhoff. Were about to sign Garrison. But had pretty much Corrado as our only pipeline prospect. And Tanev was just on the edge of making it. We already knew we needed a PMD.  We already knew we several years behind in stockpiling D prospects and had an empty cupboard.

Everyone knows that, short of a close to generational talent that makes it right out of the draft,most D take 3 to 5 years to establish in the NHL. Starting to draft higher end talents now places us as well positioned in 2018-19 at the earliest. 7 seasons after we lost Ehrhoff.

I don't see that as great planning. Just my opinion.

2011 - Frankie

2012 - Hutton

2013 - Subban 

Bang. 

Bosses in the mid rounds.

Much ado about nothing but water under the bridge and hindsighting.

You can't cross the same river twice.   Move on.

So many Drew Doughty nut-huggers on these boards.

Elite talent, elite talent blah blah blah - gotta have a top pick to get elite defensive talent blah blah blah.

For puck sakes, have a look around.

It is literally unbelievable that so many people remain so daft on the matter despite the infinitely flogged dead horse.

Norris Trophy voting standings 2014-15

1. Erik Karlsson, OTT 964 (44-42-33-19-8)   15th overall

2. Drew Doughty, LAK 889 (53-30-20-13-10)  2nd overall

3. P.K. Subban, MTL 801 (24-36-38-37-8)   43rd overall

4. Shea Weber, NSH 614 (26-19-28-20-21)  49th overall

5. Roman Josi, NSH 222 (3-9-11-17-23)     38th overall    

6. Mark Giordano, CGY 177 (1-6-11-15-25)    undrafted

7. Duncan Keith, CHI 134 (1-7-4-12-19)    54th overall

8. Kris Letang, PIT 80 (1-2-6-6-8)    62nd overall

9. Ryan Suter, MIN 43 (2-0-0-4-11)     7th overall

10. John Carlson, WSH 31 (0-1-1-6-1)    27th overall

11. Ryan McDonagh, NYR 27 (0-3-0-2-0)   12th overall

12. Dustin Byfuglien, WPG 21 (1-0-1-1-3)  245th overall

13. Anton Stralman, TBL 19 (0-1-1-1-4)    216th overall

14. Niklas Kronwall, DET 10 (1-0-0-0-0)     29th overall

15. Kevin Shattenkirk, STL 10 (0-0-1-1-2)   14th overall

16. Nick Leddy, NYI 9 (0-1-0-0-2)    16th overall

17. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, ARI 9 (0-0-0-2-3)   6th overall

18. TJ Brodie, CGY 5 (0-0-1-0-0)   114th overall

19,  Jonas Brodin, MIN 5 (0-0-1-0-0)  10th overall

20. Dennis Wideman, CGY 4 (0-0-0-0-4)  241st overall

21. Brent Burns, SJS 3 (0-0-0-1-0)  20th overall

22. Brian Campbell, FLA 1 (0-0-0-0-1)  156th overall

23. Aaron Ekblad, FLA 1 (0-0-0-0-1)  1st overall

24. Justin Faulk, CAR 1 (0-0-0-0-1)  37th overall

25. Andrei Markov, MTL 1 (0-0-0-0-1)  162nd overall

2 of the top 25 taken in the top 5 of the draft

1 more at 6th, one more at 7th

Must have high picks to draft an elite defenseman.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

2011 - Frankie

2012 - Hutton

2013 - Subban 

Bang. 

Bosses in the mid rounds.

Much ado about nothing but water under the bridge and hindsighting.

You can't cross the same river twice.   Move on.

Bang Who?

And move on for what reason? Those guys have a grand total of 16 NHL points. Hutton is promising. Its no great haul.

We don't have a great defence. We rank tied for 8th worst in GA in the league. Size, mobility, puck skill, physical play, jam. These are all factors that teams don't mark on the blackboard to fear regarding our D when the Canucks come to town. Those are all factors that improve when you draft regularly at the top of the draft / gene pool.

We need to improve our blood lines.

4 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

do some research its just how it is. lol

I think Boeser is a better prospect then Konecney. Konecney had arguably a better world juniors but other then that I like Boeser. Boeser has the size and shot. Konecney is a quality prospect, but has had concussions and he hasn't even played an NHL game yet. Concussion history scares me more then any other injury a player can have.

23 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I think Boeser is a better prospect then Konecney. Konecney had arguably a better world juniors but other then that I like Boeser. Boeser has the size and shot. Konecney is a quality prospect, but has had concussions and he hasn't even played an NHL game yet. Concussion history scares me more then any other injury a player can have.

Virtually no player who plays hockey is concussion free playing high levels of hockey.  Known or unknown. It's not why you back, or don't back a player.

The main difference between Koneckny and Boeser is one has an NHL body.  Whether K can jump up to play against NHL size players? 

If he can, he probably has a higher ceiling?  But its pretty easy to call Boeser the safer bet?

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Virtually no player who plays hockey is concussion free playing high levels of hockey.  Known or unknown. It's not why you back, or don't back a player.

The main difference between Koneckny and Boeser is one has an NHL body.  Whether K can jump up to play against NHL size players? 

If he can, he probably has a higher ceiling?  But its pretty easy to call Boeser the safer bet?

Well it seems a lot of NHL gms agreed with me cause he fell 10 spots in the draft. Konecney is a good prospect, I'm just saying a smaller player with concussion history isn't as sexy as a NCAA freshmen lighting up the league. 

19 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Well it seems a lot of NHL gms agreed with me cause he fell 10 spots in the draft. Konecney is a good prospect, I'm just saying a smaller player with concussion history isn't as sexy as a NCAA freshmen lighting up the league. 

Nothing I suggested disagree's with you either. 

But here is notes from his scouting report; K owns "dynamic skating ability." "Electrifying puck handling skills." A lightning release to his shot." And plays with the bite and intensity of a guy who will do anything to win a hockey game."

I personally agree it remains a huge question whether he can pull that off against NHL calibre athletes at his size. Johnny Hockey seems to have done it.  Jordan Schroeder did not make it. I'm happy we picked Boeser.  But I would not be surprised to see Konecny pull on a Flyer jersey and excel.

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Nothing I suggested disagree's with you either. 

But here is notes from his scouting report; K owns "dynamic skating ability." "Electrifying puck handling skills." A lightning release to his shot." And plays with the bite and intensity of a guy who will do anything to win a hockey game."

I personally agree it remains a huge question whether he can pull that off against NHL calibre athletes at his size. Johnny Hockey seems to have done it.  Jordan Schroeder did not make it. I'm happy we picked Boeser.  But I would not be surprised to see Konecny pull on a Flyer jersey and excel.

Wouldn't surprise me either. I just rather have Boeser then Konecney at this point in time. Honestly, at the draft I wanted Merkley or Konecney but I'm now glad we took Boeser. I have faith that Boeser can improve him skating and become an elite prospect. 

Archived