The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Gazdic, Halischuk

86Viking

57 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Why are all these threads turning into Kassian?

Get over it fanboys.

Kassian is far more likely to be on wavers over the next 5 seasons than the all star team.

thats 2 drastically different scenarios, add a regular nhl shift into that and i say that is most likely for him over that time if he stays clean.

Gazdic is tough but unless you can play and skate you wont be in the league no more

I'd be willing to take on Gazdic.

Bigger, faster, stronger, younger and a better skater than Prust. Would be a good replacement, as Dorsett is too small to take on everyone himself.

Someone to consider for keeping a "safe environment" especially since we will now be playing even more youth. 

Contract is up at the end of the season too. 

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Kassian with 3 points in his last 4 NHL games and he's come out hitting hard.

That Prust trade was bound to fail. Looked good the first 9 games of the season but I always knew that was a mistake waiting to happen. 

Say what you want about him but he scored 10 goals in 42 games with us last season. For his cap hit, a 20-goal pace and big tough man is pretty damn good. Stupid move by Benning. Looks like he's cleaned up his act and getting all professional again. We want tough guys, we want scorers, we want speed, yet we replace Kassian with Etem. No fan or even media member knows what's going on behind the scenes so I don't think it's anyone's place to judge that, but in terms of pure on-ice performance I know who I'd rather have in our bottom-6 right now.

Etem is a different player. He's a slashing speedster who cuts to the net. Also hits people on the fore check. He has sniping in his upside, but lets not go there? He can be highly effective in the same way Raffi Torres was.

As much as we always wished that, Kassian never had that kind of energy in his game.

If Zach did just ^ that, he would still be with us. From a hockey stand point anyway. But Kass is more the type to use his butt to shield off a defender while controlling the puck with his sick mitts. And drop a pass on a guy like Etem making his slash to the net away from the puck. Specifically Kassian should be a guy who is great in board battles & on the cycle. To not lay all the blame on Zach, we didn't exactly play the cycle game on our 2knd, 3rd and 4th lines.

We played pressure hockey on all lines not named Sedin.  Its just not built for a guy who takes so much energy to get up to speed, even if has a top gear?

To me an amazing 2knd line would be Hall, Draisaitl, Kassian behind a pure speed / talent line of Eberle, McDavid and either RNH or Eberle.

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Hockey News refered to Gazdic as, and I quote:

"Is a massive load and a physical specimen, capable of working the corners effectively as well as serving as team enforcer if need be. Is a good team player and determined athlete."

Wow.

It also says he "is extremely limited in terms of offensive production, and must also continue to work on his defensive positioning and play without the puck to stick at the highest level, long term".  

In terms of developing guys I hope they keep the roster spots for either hardworking vets like Dorsett and Cracknell, or up-and-comers like Gaunce or Zalewski.  For the fisticuff festivities during the playoffs I would bring Luke, but the coach should make sure his butt is stapled to the bench for most of the game, and only send him out when he wants to send a message (e.g. fight another team's enforcer or retaliate with a big hit).  

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Kassian with 3 points in his last 4 NHL games and he's come out hitting hard.

That Prust trade was bound to fail. Looked good the first 9 games of the season but I always knew that was a mistake waiting to happen. 

Say what you want about him but he scored 10 goals in 42 games with us last season. For his cap hit, a 20-goal pace and big tough man is pretty damn good. Stupid move by Benning. Looks like he's cleaned up his act and getting all professional again. We want tough guys, we want scorers, we want speed, yet we replace Kassian with Etem. No fan or even media member knows what's going on behind the scenes so I don't think it's anyone's place to judge that, but in terms of pure on-ice performance I know who I'd rather have in our bottom-6 right now.

If he pulls this off it will likely be because of the embarrassment of being traded for off ice issues, only to completely screw that opportunity up too. Much like luongo, I don't see him doing what he's doing this season if he was still in Vancouver.

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

It also says he "is extremely limited in terms of offensive production, and must also continue to work on his defensive positioning and play without the puck to stick at the highest level, long term".  

In terms of developing guys I hope they keep the roster spots for either hardworking vets like Dorsett and Cracknell, or up-and-comers like Gaunce or Zalewski.  For the fisticuff festivities during the playoffs I would bring Luke, but the coach should make sure his butt is stapled to the bench for most of the game, and only send him out when he wants to send a message (e.g. fight another team's enforcer or retaliate with a big hit).  

What exactly do they mean by massive load? 

Archived