The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Asst GM Darcy Regier leaves the Yotes

Kragar

Coyotes Assistant General Manager Darcy Regier is leaving the organization for personal reasons, the team confirmed Tuesday.

Regier was in the midst of his second season with the organization after he was hired in July 2014. This season, he was also serving as general manager of the Springfield Falcons – the Coyotes' American Hockey League affiliate. The team boasts two other assistant general managers, Chris O'Hearn and John Chayka, both of whom were appointed to their positions last summer.

The 59-year-old Regier previously spent 17 years as general manager of the Buffalo Sabres. During that time, the Sabres advanced to the Stanley Cup Final in 1999 and made four trips to the Eastern Conference finals.

The Coyotes had no further comment.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/regier-leaves-coyotes-for-personal-reasons/30863942

Hope he is ok and this isn't because of his health.  Personally, I hope that this is his response to the whole John Scott fiasco.  It was bush-league what the NHL did to Scott, and for the Coyotes management to go along with it is pretty lame.

If this is because of Scott, then full props to Regier.  If it's health-related, then get well soon!  I guess we'll see if any more news comes out.

46 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Hope he is ok and this isn't because of his health.  Personally, I hope that this is his response to the whole John Scott fiasco.  It was bush-league what the NHL did to Scott, and for the Coyotes management to go along with it is pretty lame.

If this is because of Scott, then full props to Regier.  If it's health-related, then get well soon!  I guess we'll see if any more news comes out.

There are actually a number of rumours out there that it was the Coyotes leading the charge on screwing Scott over and not the NHL.  Bettman even kind of threw them under the bus a little about it during an interview.

The brass and some of the players were not happy that he was going to be the one going from their team and not OEL or someone.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

There are actually a number of rumours out there that it was the Coyotes leading the charge on screwing Scott over and not the NHL.  Bettman even kind of threw them under the bus a little about it during an interview.

The brass and some of the players were not happy that he was going to be the one going from their team and not OEL or someone.

Interesting, thanks for the update.  I didn't know abt the Bettman interview.  

I agree someone else should have been there from the beginning, but the fans got what they wanted (and ended up with more than what they figured they would get, I'm sure).  League needs to kill the fan voting, or limit it's impact significantly.  It's not like Girgensons deserved to be there last year, either.  You would have thought they league would learn between that and Rory Fitzpatrick.  It's nice to keep the fans engaged, but...

Still hope that's the reaons for Regier leaving.  If Scott was indeed moved because of the ASG, whoever ends up being responsible for this mess deserves some kind crap for what they did.  I didn't care about Scott before all this, but messing with him and his family like that was a low-class move.

5 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Interesting, thanks for the update.  I didn't know abt the Bettman interview.  

I agree someone else should have been there from the beginning, but the fans got what they wanted (and ended up with more than what they figured they would get, I'm sure).  League needs to kill the fan voting, or limit it's impact significantly.  It's not like Girgensons deserved to be there last year, either.  You would have thought they league would learn between that and Rory Fitzpatrick.  It's nice to keep the fans engaged, but...

Still hope that's the reaons for Regier leaving.  If Scott was indeed moved because of the ASG, whoever ends up being responsible for this mess deserves some kind crap for what they did.  I didn't care about Scott before all this, but messing with him and his family like that was a low-class move.

I actually think the league should embrace the fan voting.  Make the Captains "Fan favourites" instead of calling them all stars or something if that gets their knickers in a knot.

The idea of an entire country like Latvia or various cities home fans creating social media campaigns to get "their" guy in there is a really cool thing.  I don't know how the NHL doesn't get that fan engagement is good.

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

I actually think the league should embrace the fan voting.  Make the Captains "Fan favourites" instead of calling them all stars or something if that gets their knickers in a knot.

The idea of an entire country like Latvia or various cities home fans creating social media campaigns to get "their" guy in there is a really cool thing.  I don't know how the NHL doesn't get that fan engagement is good.

I see your point, and in some ways agree.  I wonder if that would go over better if player contracts didn't include ASG appearances.  Then that might help diffuse any tensions like what may have been the case in Arizona.

Aside from the voting methods (i.e. more than one vote per person, voting daily), the problem I worry about is having larger markets being overly represented.  Obviously, that's not the case in the three crazy campaigns mentioned earlier, but having representation from a team only because they live in a large market doesn't seem right either.

I like your Fan Fave concept, especially if it generated more unsung hero types getting in.  Especially now with the 3-3 format, it might have been good to see faster, exciting, but perhaps less-skilled or -experienced players in there, spicing things up.

7 hours ago, Kragar said:

Drugs?  

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Drugs?  

Your guess is as good as mine.  We may never know.

15 hours ago, gurn said:

No Alf, I don't have any and you should not be on here asking for any.

Maybe he was selling instead of buying? :)

On 2/4/2016 at 2:07 PM, Provost said:

I'm at work and will Google it up later, but if you have any links to these rumours I'd be grateful if you shared them. 

Archived