The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How could the Canucks improve goal scoring?

jmahyoung

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think if structured properly, it will work well with players we keep presently on ELC's. And the Sedin's renegotiating in 2 years.

Kopitar got 10 yrs 80m. Heavy front load.       I see Stamkos  on a 4 yr 44m.    14m  12 m.  10 m.   8 m. 

The Space to clear revolves around most players that are UFA's this year ... Attrition is a good word. 

The cap hit is the same regardless of the salary structure.  Unlike players, teams would by far prefer back-loaded contracts because they would spend less in case of a trade or a buyout.    

In case of a trade - the team paid less salary because it's the new team that takes on the years with the higher salaries.  

In case of a buyout - the buyout is more expensive but the total cost of the full contract is cheaper (ie salary for years played plus buyout costs is lower).  Also the buyout cap hit is lower for back-loaded contracts than it is for front-loaded contracts.   

Call up two of the AHL's best scorers in Shinkaruk and Gaunce. They're around 0.75-1 points per game this entire AHL season, that's probably better than most Canucks could do even at the AHL level.

Throw them in, see if they can spark this team. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Sedin - Sedin - Gaunce

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Vbrata

Etem - Vey - Burrows

Those lines are worth a shot and they fit the mould for good chemistry. Each line has a big body who can screen and hit (Gaunce, Hansen, Sutter, Etem), a playmaker who controls the rush (Henrik, Horvat, Vbrata, Burrows) and a scorer (Daniel, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Vey). While the 4th line really is a bit of everything, they have all the right pieces for good chemistry lines. As long as there's size, speed and skill we'll do well.

Right now we're struggling to find this combination and it's hurting our team. We have all our skilled young kids together, no size, no grit but more importantly no screen at any one time. 

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Call up two of the AHL's best scorers in Shinkaruk and Gaunce. They're around 0.75-1 points per game this entire AHL season, that's probably better than most Canucks could do even at the AHL level.

Throw them in, see if they can spark this team. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Sedin - Sedin - Gaunce

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Vbrata

Etem - Vey - Burrows

Those lines are worth a shot and they fit the mould for good chemistry. Each line has a big body who can screen and hit (Gaunce, Hansen, Sutter, Etem), a playmaker who controls the rush (Henrik, Horvat, Vbrata, Burrows) and a scorer (Daniel, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Vey). While the 4th line really is a bit of everything, they have all the right pieces for good chemistry lines. As long as there's size, speed and skill we'll do well.

Right now we're struggling to find this combination and it's hurting our team. We have all our skilled young kids together, no size, no grit but more importantly no screen at any one time. 

You spelled Virtanen wrong.... lol

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Prust made more this season than Kassian.  We actually lost cap space in the deal and gave away a 5th round pick. For what ?

Prust could actually play for us. I don't know if you know this, but he had some major issues. He would never have been able to fix them here. So at least we had someone play. The fifth was insurance I case Kassian couldn't get over his problems.

8 hours ago, mll said:

The cap hit is the same regardless of the salary structure.  Unlike players, teams would by far prefer back-loaded contracts because they would spend less in case of a trade or a buyout.    

In case of a trade - the team paid less salary because it's the new team that takes on the years with the higher salaries.  

In case of a buyout - the buyout is more expensive but the total cost of the full contract is cheaper (ie salary for years played plus buyout costs is lower).  Also the buyout cap hit is lower for back-loaded contracts than it is for front-loaded contracts.   

Thanks for that mll ,   I just see it as a good option position for player and team to be able to move Stamkos at 8m in his 4th year in his early 30's .. One where he could still capitalize by resigning or going for what and where of his choice.  Even after 4 years of service there would be something great to gain via picks, prospects, or renegotiation .  Personally I think most contracts that go longer than 4 years can hurt players outputs, or teams structure.  

Things I would like to see, in a perfect world that is.

• Good hard and accurate shot from the blue line
  • A better line for Sutter.  I think he needs a playmaker to set him up.  Either with the twins or whomever through free agency
  • Less perimeter junk.  Way more traffic and dirty area plays
  • NO MORE DROP PASSES from Edler.  Ever.
  • WD or a coach that will line match and not just roll all 4 the same every night.

And lastly a city wide "Sedin appreciation parade".

I didn't see the Calgary game but in the one against Columbus I noticed a lot of direct shots that gave their goalie lots of time to get square. The one goal we did score was a pass across which forced the goalie to move laterally. In the extra frame we got some of this but also bad luck on the PP.  We need to move their goalies laterally and not give them time to get square to the shooter.

Archived