The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How could the Canucks improve goal scoring?

jmahyoung

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

I understand your point. I am a huge fan of Hansens game. Great defensively and his speed makes him an offensive threat as well.

I can handle him staying and mentoring... but at the same time i don't want to do a Higgins with him.  Keep him until he has no value.

That is strategy that has put us in the hole we are in.   I guess the real secret is to be able to know when a player is about to decline. Trade his just before...

I don't disagree with the statement but the drafting record from the early Gillis regime is what caused most of this.  The Canucks have had no choice but to hold onto the Higgins of the world until all value was used because there wasn't anyone to push him out of a roster spot until now.  For example, if Jensen had have panned out, Benning could have traded Higgins last year (assuming a NTC waive).

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That will definitely help. I can't wait until they are ready and in the lineup. I definitely like where this team is going with the youth movement. Our future is bright.

By the way, I love your username. Genius.

Gotta work the other kids names in there too tho. McHortboesanenbaeruk ;)

Yeah i meant to make it "McHortanon" instead of "McHortanen" it would have referenced:

McCann

Horvat

Virtanen

Hutton

But because i made it "en" Hutton was left out :(

Still love you Ben!!! :)

Let's see, our defense doesn't really pose an offensive threat or jump up in the rush all that often to create a bit of havoc. Other than the twins, we're a bunch of oldish grinders that shouldn't be expected to notch points and kids who are still figuring out the NHL, and then there's Vrb who's just been playing like smelly ass this year.

I've got it : MAKE THE NETS BIGGER!!

57 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Let's see, our defense doesn't really pose an offensive threat or jump up in the rush all that often to create a bit of havoc. Other than the twins, we're a bunch of oldish grinders that shouldn't be expected to notch points and kids who are still figuring out the NHL, and then there's Vrb who's just been playing like smelly ass this year.

I've got it : MAKE THE NETS BIGGER!!

Scoring is down league wide so and it's a year-on-year trend so something will be done, eventually. Or every game will end in a 0-0 shootout.

Gretzky had an idea to tilt the nets so a shot that hits the crossbar will deflect into the net, not away from it. Not to shabby an idea.

I wouldn't mind reducing the goalie pads since by 1-2" in each direction. More like Kelly Hrudey style:

9091proset-kellyhrudey.jpg

33 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

Scoring is down league wide so and it's a year-on-year trend so something will be done, eventually. Or every game will end in a 0-0 shootout.

Gretzky had an idea to tilt the nets so a shot that hits the crossbar will deflect into the net, not away from it. Not to shabby an idea.

I wouldn't mind reducing the goalie pads since by 1-2" in each direction. More like Kelly Hrudey style:

9091proset-kellyhrudey.jpg

I did hear about Gretzky's ovular goal posts idea, if it works, the league should do it. Pads should also be reduced in size.

We hit a good number of posts/crossbars last night, 4 I think... 

The problem, none of these options give the Canucks an advantage to score more than our opponents, and that's the real problem in Canuckland right now, scoring more than the opposition. The D needs to be a part of our O, once they start contributing and actually being recognized as a threat, it creates space for the forwards.

So... we need an offensively minded PMD... Surprise surprise! Not a reoccurring theme at all

We have lots of fast, on the rush, goal scorers. Just no one other than Henrik and Daniel know how to pass the puck. We need a smart, puck distributing center.

We also need a big, good skating defenceman with a shot, who is not afraid to use it.

2 minutes ago, ButcherG said:

We have lots of fast, on the rush, goal scorers. Just no one other than Henrik and Daniel know how to pass the puck. We need a smart, puck distributing center.

We also need a big, good skating defenceman with a shot, who is not afraid to use it.

Great distributors can be wingers too.  Baer is looking good at that.  McCann is excellent.  Our first priority is on D.  :angry:

True PMD would help out a fair bit. I have been wondering how the sedins would do with someone like Okposo. Hansen had decent chemistry with Horvat already before 

2 x Sedin - Okposo

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Dare to dream? Haha

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great distributors can be wingers too.  Baer is looking good at that.  McCann is excellent.  Our first priority is on D.  :angry:

I agree we need a top notch dman this draft, but if we can find an adam oates type clone I wouldn't be upset.

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Improve goal scoring?

a simple example is to sign one.

Bure .  Is an example of that type of acquisition.

Stamkos . Is an example to compare to that in this era.

Dare to win? Or Dare to be Frugal? 

IF (and that's a big if) Stamkos doesn't get signed, it's gonna be hard as hell to get him to sign here. The whole league will be going after him so I'm sure that whoever gets him will greatly overpay.

Archived