The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have interest in signing 20 year old Dryden Hunt

So long as the Canucks have the contract space this is great (if it works out).  Clearly teams see something in Hunt.

I believe Blomstrand's contract is up this summer along with a few others like Jeremie Blain.  There will be space.  The Comets will need help as well. Pleasw correct me if I'm wrong but he Canucks don't have much past Gaunce and Labate and Gaunce may make the jump next year. 

3 minutes ago, Lui's Knob said:

Scouting report?

A bit under six foot, but you won’t be able to tell since he won’t be standing still long enough for you to get a good look. It’s not that he is super quick; in fact he only really has short area quickness. Plays with high energy as a defensive backchecker, an offensive forechecker, and a possession attacker. For his size, he is a handful down low, and maintains possession due to his strength on the puck. An up and down player that doesn’t get fancy and keeps the feet going to exploit the skills he has already developed. 

—Bill Placzek—

4 minutes ago, Lui's Knob said:

Scouting report?

Good skater for the dub but not exceptional. Goes to the dirty areas to get rebounds, decent situational awareness, and has a plus shot. I wouldn't call him a 200' player. Call pull the chute on plays and does not lay the body whenever he gets the chance. He can grind in the corners a bit though.

He's just one of those kids that seems like he's a great junior player but not anything else. The question I would ask my self is, "Where is he going to help you on an NHL roster?" 

I mean, maybe he has a chance to be a decent 3rd liner down the road. Maybe. Likely a hard chance to make it out of the AHL.

29 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Too bad his name isn't Mike... get it! Mike Hunt say that 5 times fast.

I saw one of the EDM guys tweet this out too, I think it's all the Canadian teams. Fox didn't work out, and I worry that might be the precedent for potential over-agers. 

That being said, Sautner looks like a steal. I trust in this scouting staff greatly. 

or Jiri.

50 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Overagers putting up big points/goals is nothing new.

Have we not learned from Dane Fox?

Fox was feeding off of McDavids points though. So his production i wouldnt say is as good as Hunts. Id take a shot at him. Without McDavis Fox would probably be potting as many points as a rookie CHLer. Never had much hope for Fox tbh.

Just now, McHortanen said:

Fox was feeding off of McDavids points though. So his production i wouldnt say is as good as Hunts. Id take a shot at him. Without McDavis Fox would probably be potting as many points as a rookie CHLer. Never had much hope for Fox tbh.

Brayden Point.

Brett Howden.

58 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

HAHAHA stop Benning just stop, but why don't we give Dane Fox a freaking chance already, the kid has done what he was asked to do, eg improve his skating.

53 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

the flames are also interested in this guy, now I want him, freaking go away flames!

See the gold you're missing, minister?

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Overager playing in the WHL with the Moose Jaws. Has 49 goals/99 points in 61 games this season and scored 5 hattricks in his last 8 games. LHS who plays left wing. 

He's a BC native from Nelson, has good size at 6ft/200lbs, and most importantly...PLAYED FOR THE MEDICINE HAT TIGERS LAST YEAR!!#*%^$&@ZOMGZZZ!!!!!

...I'm no mathematician but seems like there are some pretty good odds we possibly land him. Another experiment which would be a low risk move. Currently sitting at 47 contracts, there is definitely room to ink him down.

There is a lot of analysis of overagers. They rarely do well at the NHL level. Players normally improve a lot between their draft year and their draft +2 (i.e. overage) year, so putting up big numbers in the overage year is not very meaningful.

And the kind of players who become overagers fit a particular pattern. Usually they are guys who lack a key attribute needed for success at the NHL level (like speed), but have the kind of skill set that is very successful in Junior.

Archived