The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Owner involvement nixed possible Hamhuis trade

TheRussianRocket.

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

When you quote Botchford I am just going to dismiss what you're saying as I seriously question whether he fabricates 1/2 the crap he writes.

Benning said he had a concrete offer for Dan from Dallas....so wrong again! He said he didn't from Chicago. 

The only reason why I quoted Botchford is because you brought up his name. Living in Alberta, I dont ever hear a thing from Botchford and that was the first time i ever googled him . I only did so because you mentioned him.

As far as when Dan was asked to waive, it was in the interview after trade deadline that Hammer tells us that he was asked on Monday about Chicago and responded by Wednesday that he would accept.

Here is a question for you...... knowing that Hamhuis would be willing to re-sign here and his departure for the rest of this season would mean giving guys like Pedan some experience, would you have accepted the offer from Dallas?  A 3rd round pick and a prospect ?

5 minutes ago, TheAce said:

The only reason why I quoted Botchford is because you brought up his name. Living in Alberta, I dont ever hear a thing from Botchford and that was the first time i ever googled him . I only did so because you mentioned him.

As far as when Dan was asked to waive, it was in the interview after trade deadline that Hammer tells us that he was asked on Monday about Chicago and responded by Wednesday that he would accept.

Here is a question for you...... knowing that Hamhuis would be willing to re-sign here and his departure for the rest of this season would mean giving guys like Pedan some experience, would you have accepted the offer from Dallas?  A 3rd round pick and a prospect ?

Would depend on the prospect of course. But that is underpayment and you don't want to look like you'll give $&!# away if people just wait to lowball you. 

EDIT: Reason I mentioned Botchford is that information you mentioned is coming from him ;) 

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

What you're referring to as genius cap dumps however were their two 'core' players - neither of them 'old' - both still in their prime.

More credit being given than is due.

What was potentially Seguin, Hamilton and a 2nd....became a cap dump.

What a trail of genius.

The most laughable part - was how the media in Toronterrible sold those Phaneuf and Kessel deals (and the Clarkson signing) as genius at the time.

Now we're supposed to sing the praise LouLam song, for having accumulated umpteen longshot picks.

Whooopdydooo!

Both of those players were grossly overpaid. And really Lu didn't sign those players or make that trade. Except Dion, the other players were having horrible stretch when traded.

Lu did some pretty amazing things in NJ as well considering the amount of money he had to work with. And he traded for Schnieder, which was a good trade for both sides.

Benning looked like he'd just seen a ghost at the post-deadline press conference,  I remember seeing that look on Gillis in his last days as GM. I think Aquilini might find it challenging when he goes looking for the next guy, I can maybe see Francesco taking the over gm's role himself if it comes down to it.

On 3/1/2016 at 8:56 AM, Big Data Shoes said:

Really? You dont think Russell can make it into 50% of their games with Dallas' weak defence? Why would they even trade for him then?

Really.

I think it depends on how the Stars do (obviously  :)). If they come out of the gate and kick the crap out of whichever team they face (Nashville, SJ?) then Russell might not get any ice time until the 2nd round. If the Stars don't need him, then I suspect that keeping a 2nd over a 3rd will become a consideration for them.

regards,  G.

5 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

There was some indication late last season that the Sedins did not want Vrbata on their line anymore. Who know whether it's true or not, but it was out there to some degree. If it's not true, then the idea of separating the Sedins from Vrbata permanently doesn't make much sense, because there was a decent level of production going on. If one were to go down that road, then add the fact that Vrbata's gutless (I could use other words) play in the playoffs put an irreconcilable rift between them as far as having them all play together again this year. It makes more sense than anything else the way I see it. Otherwise the Canucks let a $5M player who had a 30-goal season rot at the expense of the greater good of the team. Vrbata never had an ounce of chemistry with Horvat.

I'm sure there was something behind it. No doubt in my mind at all!

But...

All the more reason to just have an honest chat with him last year.  And trade him then. Value for a trade would have been higher.  Opportunity for him to recoup a positive circumstance before he came up for contract inbetween.  As it stands, both parties lost.

And to a degree that is the nature of guaranteed contracts. But its also the opportunity for a GM to deal with it proactively. He did whatever the issue with Garrison, Kassian (more known) and Bieksa was.  Why not here?

14 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Think what you want, bottom line is this is extremely bad asset management, and can never be made back up.

19 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

hmmm

did not mean to respond, but...

sorry

55 minutes ago, unknown33429 said:

They got a second rounder for Polak.... we couldn't get a second rounder for Hamhuis.

Polak is the guy that Bo embarrassed a few times last night.

We're talking about the 2013 deadline in which the Leafs went wild - and TSN, SN, CBC, lots of print media declared them the winners of free agency.

The Polak deal is perhaps the only definitively good move the Leafs have made through the firesale aside from perhaps the Winnik deal.  But the Leafs blew it in the first place dealing Gunnarsson for Polak - a head scratcher to say the least.

What SJ spent for Polak was a shocker tbh - imo the worst deadline deal since the Shards fleeced Pittsburgh for Douglas Murray.

Aside from that - a whole lot of marginal pieces, cap dumps, mid-range picks with the odd decent prospect sprinkled in.

It seems like the Leafs are basically trying to right the wrongs of the past few years and now they are back to square one.  I cringe every time someone compares us to the leafs and that we should blow it up like they are doing.  We are not the leafs and as long as we have the Sedins and the solid goaltending that we have now, we aren't even a lottery team.  We only have a chance a the lottery this year because of the long term injuries to key players.  Our rebuild should be a much lighter one.

4 hours ago, coho8888 said:

It seems like the Leafs are basically trying to right the wrongs of the past few years and now they are back to square one.  I cringe every time someone compares us to the leafs and that we should blow it up like they are doing.  We are not the leafs and as long as we have the Sedins and the solid goaltending that we have now, we aren't even a lottery team.  We only have a chance a the lottery this year because of the long term injuries to key players.  Our rebuild should be a much lighter one.

I think we are equally as young as the Maple Leafs - Linden

30 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I think we are equally as young as the Maple Leafs - Linden

Well he's not far off our team

is super young now. Yes they screwed up at the deadline but the teams on the right track. Especially if we luck out and get a top 3 pick.

Archived