The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks in Cars

swizzey

I have been following the Canucks in Cars videos to get to know players a little better. I have found them very enjoyable to get to know our players on a personal, subjective level. Learning about their background and history of them growing up and getting to where they are from their perspective and not from scouting reports and evaluations has been the most enjoyable part. 

One thing I have noticed is that every single car one of the Nuck's drive has been a Toyota. Miller, Tanev, Vrbata, Bartkowski, Henrik, Baertschi, and Etem are all the players so far who have participated in an episode and each one of them drives a Toyota. I found it interesting and concluded that part of their contracts have a car included and that car must be a Toyota. Then I researched and came across this article that confirms the 2015 sponsorship supporting the thought:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777471

What I am curious about is whether:

A. A car is included in all or most contracts where they can pick whatever Toyota vehicle they like as part of their contract (deducted out of their total salary).

B. A car is included in all or most contracts where they can pick whatever Toyota vehincle they like on top of their contract.

C. The cars are fully owned by the Canucks and lent to the players over their contract period.

D. They get a deal for choosing to drive a Toyota in place of another vehicle and can only be featured on Canucks in Cars if they drive a Toyota.

I personally think its A or C. What do you guys think?

I'm certain it's B. It's part of a sponsorship between the Canucks and Toyota and it's a win win for both companies.

edit: I wonder if they're actually going somewhere when they're in the cars or if they're just going out for a drive just for the video and then going back home.

I don't think any of options A, B, C, or D are really correct, but D is likely the closest.

The cars are most definitely not part of the player's compensation from the Vancouver Canucks as this would be against the rules of the CBA. Any of options A, B, or C would either be in direct violation of the terms of the CBA or would be dangerously skirting the lines of what's acceptable.

Probably all the players are getting something like a free lease on the car of their choice as part of a sponsorship with BC Toyota Dealers. If a player wants a free car while they play hockey in Vancouver, they agree to appear in these videos (which are basically ads for Toyota).

Any compensation has to be coming from the Toyota dealers and going to the players, without the financial involvement of the hockey club (and certainly having nothing to do with their SPCs). It would need to be something similar to any other sponsorship/endorsement deals the players earn individually (and completely separate from their NHL contracts/salaries).

Teams can't (legally) offer players additional perks on top of their salaries (like free cars or free condos or whatever else) because this would be violating the terms of the CBA and circumventing the salary cap. 

Of course, there are still tons of perks that come with being an professional hockey player. But something as blatant as an NHL club handing out free cars to their players just wouldn't fly with the league. Even more so if a team tried to provide "free" cars that were actually written into the player contracts to replace a portion of their salary (and no player would want this even if it was legal).

5 hours ago, swizzey said:

I have been following the Canucks in Cars videos to get to know players a little better. I have found them very enjoyable to get to know our players on a personal, subjective level. Learning about their background and history of them growing up and getting to where they are from their perspective and not from scouting reports and evaluations has been the most enjoyable part. 

One thing I have noticed is that every single car one of the Nuck's drive has been a Toyota. Miller, Tanev, Vrbata, Bartkowski, Henrik, Baertschi, and Etem are all the players so far who have participated in an episode and each one of them drives a Toyota. I found it interesting and concluded that part of their contracts have a car included and that car must be a Toyota. Then I researched and came across this article that confirms the 2015 sponsorship supporting the thought:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777471

What I am curious about is whether:

A. A car is included in all or most contracts where they can pick whatever Toyota vehicle they like as part of their contract (deducted out of their total salary).

B. A car is included in all or most contracts where they can pick whatever Toyota vehincle they like on top of their contract.

C. The cars are fully owned by the Canucks and lent to the players over their contract period.

D. They get a deal for choosing to drive a Toyota in place of another vehicle and can only be featured on Canucks in Cars if they drive a Toyota.

I personally think its A or C. What do you guys think?

i barely make 90k a year and i wouldn't be caught dead in any piss pot Toyota.

23 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

Why would millionaires want to drive Toy-toys is my point ?

Im a car nut so I drive a Corvette. (awaiting vettes are for D bags comment ):lol:

Man im going to be looking for Jake and his Challenger. See what he's got

Cars serve a purpose.

i don't drive Toyota but they a re recognized as a quality car manufacturer.  For urban commuting most of their lineup makes sense.

the Toyota Tacoma is also a respected quality small pickup.

so when you ask why people drive "toy toys", the answer is because: money smart efficiency makes sense no?

millionarism doesn't necessarily mean driving Maserati.

41 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Cars serve a purpose.

i don't drive Toyota but they a re recognized as a quality car manufacturer.  For urban commuting most of their lineup makes sense.

the Toyota Tacoma is also a respected quality small pickup.

so when you ask why people drive "toy toys", the answer is because: money smart efficiency makes sense no?

millionarism doesn't necessarily mean driving Maserati.

Yeah I'll give you that. Toyota is a good brand.

But I just think that if you are a millionaire, there is even more quality for your buck when you take one or 2 steps up. Cadillac, Lexus,  BMW. They only cost a few grand more.

Toyota buyers should not have to be bidding against millionaires for these cars. Imagine a working class guy walks into a Toyota dealer to buy a car. Sorry bud, you'll have to wait till next week for that Corolla. Ryan Miller just drove away with the last one.

I had just figured they were lent the cars to shoot the video. Because, as was pointed out, Jake drives a challenger. Which, I believe was free from an Abbotsford dealership. I was having breakfast near where he lives last Sunday, looking to catch a glimpse of him, bieber, or the challenger. No dice... 

1 hour ago, LolClarkson said:

Why would millionaires want to drive Toy-toys is my point ?

Im a car nut so I drive a Corvette. (awaiting vettes are for D bags comment ):lol:

Man im going to be looking for Jake and his Challenger. See what he's got

Damnit, why did you have to ruin my douchebag comment? I bet it's yellow. lol

Personally, I love my new Platinum tundra and I suspect there are lots of millionaires with pickup trucks.

17 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

Yeah I'll give you that. Toyota is a good brand.

But I just think that if you are a millionaire, there is even more quality for your buck when you take one or 2 steps up. Cadillac, Lexus,  BMW. They only cost a few grand more.

Toyota buyers should not have to be bidding against millionaires for these cars. Imagine a working class guy walks into a Toyota dealer to buy a car. Sorry bud, you'll have to wait till next week for that Corolla. Ryan Miller just drove away with the last one.

yep pretty far fetched to believe that the players, all who could afford it, would be driving a Toyota, especially their cheaper sedans (not that I don't like them, I drive a 4 runner myself).  They would most likely be driving german cars or if they like trucks, a loaded domestic pickup.

I remember when I live in the Kits area seeing Bure drive around in his dodge stealth RT.  Not long after that he switched to a Mercedes.

4 hours ago, goblix said:

think jake virtanen drove a challenger in the "day in the life" videos

My guess is that they just borrow the car for the interview and/or cut some sort of deal with Toyota to keep said car. 

Yeah. I immediately assumed they just drive around in a dealer car for an hour while they film the segment. I never thought twice about it actually.

I highly doubt a bunch of millionaires are going to drive a $25k toyota as their daily driver, even if it was free.

19 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

yep pretty far fetched to believe that the players, all who could afford it, would be driving a Toyota, especially their cheaper sedans (not that I don't like them, I drive a 4 runner myself).  They would most likely be driving german cars or if they like trucks, a loaded domestic pickup.

I remember when I live in the Kits area seeing Bure drive around in his dodge stealth RT.  Not long after that he switched to a Mercedes.

The Stealth was a pretty hot car in the 90's. My brother said that Matthias Ohlund drove a Corvette.

ad-5688c29871674.jpg

1 minute ago, LolClarkson said:

The Stealth was a pretty hot car in the 90's. My brother said that Matthias Ohlund drove a Corvette.

ad-5688c29871674.jpg

Back then it was sort of my dream car.  (I can't believe I just said that a dodge was one of my dream cars!)

Archived