The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 IIHF World Championship Thread

9 hours ago, Haikara said:

Doesn't sound like it. Ferraro has been commenting that he should at least get a shift given it's 5-0 already. Way to go Team Canada coaching staff, bring over a kid half way across the world to destroy a kid's confidence.

Subban was at the last Oly's and barely got one game in. Relax it's about the experience and i doubt it will destroy his confidence, lot's of young guys go to the worlds the first time and don't get much ice time.

30 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

Holzer 3-2. Over and out. :frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::towel::towel::towel::towel:

Congrats. I watched the game myself and knew it would be a tough one for USA. 

Not to take away anything from the Germans who have been great all tournament but this US team is bad. The PP was abysmal, players like Larkin, Nelson and Foligno had pedestrian performances. The only player who played up to the mark was Matthews. The USA needs to do a better job recruiting, it is unacceptable that their best players are 18 and 19 years old. Goaltending has been a weak spot all tournament. They should have tried Demko in one these games but now it's too late. They will have to go with Condon/Kinkaid in the elimination game. 

USA got holzered lol.

4 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Jannik Hansen with a goal and an assist against Kazakhstan.

Germany was able to secure the 3rd spot in Group B against Hungary. Feels awesome to close up the group in front of Team USA. ^_^

Ex-Canuck Nicklas Jensen also scored a goal for Denmark.

On 5/15/2016 at 9:08 AM, Toews said:

Congrats. I watched the game myself and knew it would be a tough one for USA. 

Not to take away anything from the Germans who have been great all tournament but this US team is bad. The PP was abysmal, players like Larkin, Nelson and Foligno had pedestrian performances. The only player who played up to the mark was Matthews. The USA needs to do a better job recruiting, it is unacceptable that their best players are 18 and 19 years old. Goaltending has been a weak spot all tournament. They should have tried Demko in one these games but now it's too late. They will have to go with Condon/Kinkaid in the elimination game. 

USA got holzered lol.

Perhaps their more established players are too weary from the long NHL season :lol:

On 2016-05-14 at 2:52 PM, Toews said:

Bill Peters is the coach.

(Can't edit other post....this site is way less user-friendly after the revamp..BRING BACK THE PREVIEW OPTION)

Just to add. Its all very confusing. First Babcock is announced as Head Coach. Then the "Head Coach" announces Peters as the Head Coach of the team. But Babcock is still there, sitting above, and is still tagged as the Head Coach by TSN. Peters is his former assistant coach and it sure seems like he's under the thumb of the Head Head Coach. Peters is merely the Bench Coach with Babcock calling all the shots other than tapping the Babs-approved players on their shoulders to take their shifts . Just like Subban in 2014 Olympics, there are some players Babs just does not have confidence in, doesn't know them well enough, and will not even give them a chance to prove themselves. Hutton for some reason is on that list. 

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

(Can't edit other post....this site is way less user-friendly after the revamp..BRING BACK THE PREVIEW OPTION)

Just to add. Its all very confusing. First Babcock is announced as Head Coach. Then the "Head Coach" announces Peters as the Head Coach of the team. But Babcock is still there, sitting above, and is still tagged as the Head Coach by TSN. Peters is his former assistant coach and it sure seems like he's under the thumb of the Head Head Coach. Peters is merely the Bench Coach with Babcock calling all the shots other than tapping the Babs-approved players on their shoulders to take their shifts . Just like Subban in 2014 Olympics, there are some players Babs just does not have confidence in, doesn't know them well enough, and will not even give them a chance to prove themselves. Hutton for some reason is on that list. 

I am glad he didn't play Subban. That 2014 Olympics was one of the most dominant team performances I have ever seen. That team dominated and stifled every single opponent they met. They weren't playing a peewee tournament where everyone gets a chance. Winning was the priority and they won.

I think Babcock is pretty overrated as a coach but I am not sure why you are targeting him. Peters isn't some random scrub. He did a very good job with that Carolina team this year. Why wouldn't he be calling the shots?

The competition for that last spot came down to Matheson and Hutton and I have to say Matheson won that one fair and square. Hutton will be a really good defenseman but he is surrounded by tough competition on that blue line. With Ellis in, he won't see any more ice time. It's time to make our peace with it.

Archived