The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things to look forward to next season

danjr

Looking forward to seeing if Troy Stetcher can become next year's Ben Hutton. Completely excited that he signed with the team. What he lacks in height he makes up for in weight, Hutton's only 183 pounds and Stetcher is 190. From the clips I've seen, Stetcher seems to have a bit more offensive skill and instinct that Hutton, and maybe a bit of an edge in skating ability. Of course, grain of salt considering Stetcher has never played an NHL game. 

Also works out nicely that Stetcher shoots right and Hutton shoots left. 

On 2016-04-13 at 10:49 PM, Green Building said:

The Draft!

That sums up how pathetic this organization has become! Some fans highight of the year is the draft. We have joined Edmonton, Toronto and Arizona! I wonder how excited the LA fans (both teams) are about the draft?

1 hour ago, danjr said:

In truth I think they singned Stetcher for one reason.  To make sure Boeser has someone in the organization that he knows.  Just in case he opts to stay in school for an additional year.

Boeser has already decided to return to ND, source http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-prospect-brock-boeser-returning-ncaa/

Canucks signed Stetcher because they see potential, not to lure another prospect into signing.

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

That sums up how pathetic this organization has become! Some fans highight of the year is the draft. We have joined Edmonton, Toronto and Arizona! I wonder how excited the LA fans (both teams) are about the draft?

April 30th lottery baby!!!

Then draft, then UFA signings & trades if any...

How could U not be excited about this years draft? We have a chance to draft #1 for the 1st time in history with a legit franchise player awaiting our call...

#2 & #3 I hear are also pretty good...::D:frantic:::D

I'm interested to see how the defense shapes up next year. With Weber and Tank commander bart falling off our books...assuming we re-sign Hammer

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Tryamkin

Sbisa (sigh) - Hutton

Pedan/Larsen/Stetcher

Seriously, JB should see that the odd man out here is his prized signing Sbisa. Better unload him to the GM who praised him for the contract (although to be fair, if i was a GM whose job is to play against Benning, i'd praise that contract off the rooftops too. To encourage him to sign more like those ;))

Also, Fire Doug Lidster

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

Saying the "organization" is pathetic is unfair.  Every team has down times; that's how the NHL operates in a cap era.   You build up, try to win, and regardless of whether you were successful or not in winning the cup, if you did the build properly you likely now have young-ish guys looking for a big raise, and therefore will have to at least partially tear back down.

If it was not for the injuries, I believe we would have been an average team.  This was our time to rebuild.  It was required, and it happened. 

There is reason to be excited for the draft.  We're going to get a really good player to compliment a young group that rivals any young group we've ever had in the past, and likely a very solid UFA or two.  We will be a playoff team next year, and a contender in 1-3 years. 

Don't be a cup half full guy.  The tap is running.

9 hours ago, coastal1 said:

From my end, my comment was tongue in cheek, and steeped in sarcasm; sarcasm that doesn't translate through to a post if one doesn't know me. The same sarcasm that you are possibly exhibiting.

I do not agree that our organization has become pathetic. We're simply transitioning from a reluctant rebuild. The typical loudest fan in this market [if we're to use this board as any sort of metric] is the hater. That doesn't make them the majority, nor should it determine how "pathetic" we have become. The same fan that has likely hated on BB, DN, and MG.

Arizona is in a much different position than Edmonton and Toronto. Edmonton is flat out the worst. The worst. Meanwhile, Toronto, who has been fashionable to hate since shortly after 1970, have been better than Edmonton until recently. LA has enjoyed the Cups we wish we had, but the point is that fans of every team should be excited at draft time. After all, you're drafting for the future, Should you be enjoying current success, well, that's just icing on the cake.

We [Vancouver] had 2 serious shots at winning Cups in the last 12-ish years. We all know about that. What people in this market seem loathe to let go of is the angst toward the transitions between winning and losing years. So our GM's haven't been perfect, big deal. Every team has moves they would likely do over in hindsight. Had we won anything with the West Coast Express, or in 2011, people wouldn't be so hard on management. They would still criticize, and some of them would still be blatantly troll-like, but for the most part a Cup would have erased what plagues the Canucks message board these days: comments like the one I made, but born of genuineness instead of jest. 

Things I look forward to next season? The slight possibility of numerous bandwagon fans taking up a different sport for life, and equal possibility that haters turn over a new leaf and find something to be positive about for once.

edit: And the f^@#ing draft

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:56 PM, meh_wassup said:

I'm looking forward to seeing whoever we bring in at the draft make an impact. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the kids do being 1 year older and wiser. Horvat, Virtanen, Tryamkin, Hutton, Gaunce, Pedan, Baertschi, and if McCann can add that size and strength and faceoff skills needed to be effective in the chel who knows what he can do next season. 

What's the "chel"?

The Canucks hit home runs with Horvat,Mcann,Virtanen, Hutton and Tryamkin.In spite of what criticisms some fans are making,if the goal is to win a cup and to survive 7 game wars with gamers that battle hard then we have begun the journey.I look forward to the mentioned players being better and how that will affect the team.

Being able to take my bag off my head

after:

1. new coach

2. new GM

3. getting 1st pick in the draft

4. burrows having a good season

5. Canucks finding a goalie in some minor league in south Russian. Better than hasek in his prime.

6. Dressing a tuff guy for the fans to watch cruising around the ice intimidating other players(Gino or a Tiger).

7. Squeak into the playoffs and knock off one of the top teams in the first round.

Archived