The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Draft Needs

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, Chip Kelly said:

I like Puljujarvi because he is an elite passer and playmaker. He has excellent vision he reminds of a wing version of Joe Thornton, Jamie Benn, and Ryan Getzlaf.

Only thing is he seems to lack Laine's aggressiveness and blistering shot.

Jagr!

Has the savvy & skill to dangle, the size fend off pressure. The will to win battles. Also has the speed and evasiveness to slash, cut and attack.

Puljujarvi is the closest to Jagr I have seen in a big young player off the wing?

laine can play both wings and some centre...virtanen can play both wings too...i'ld love to see those two together someday...

it would be great to get stanley in the 2nd round, but i think he goes in the late 1st...tryamkin and stanley would take care of the physicality in the back end...laine, stanley and trade for a potential top 2 d-man....offensive d man....

17 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Jagr!

Has the savvy & skill to dangle, the size fend off pressure. The will to win battles. Also has the speed and evasiveness to slash, cut and attack.

Puljujarvi is the closest to Jagr I have seen in a big young player off the wing?

Interesting you say that when Laine gets the Super Mario comparison. Some sciut think he has ELITE consistent 30-40 goals a year potential!!!

I really like Laine too. I would take him over Puljujarvi at this point because he has played very well in the playoffs against men something that both Matthews and Puljujarvi or anyone in this class doesn't have the same elite shot, size and goal scoring potential as Line eh!!!

18 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Jagr!

Line eh is more physical and uses his body more. He is not afraid to bang which is why he is being called by some as the best pure scorer since guys like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and Stamkos. Plus he has a power game more than Pulj that will remind you of Ovechkin.

Scouts agree Puljs game is more 2 way and fewer holes but Laine has by far the highest upside in the entire draft offensively. You can improve skating and even a little of your shot. But it's too late for the competition to develop Laine's powerful shot and quick release.

Scouts feel Matthews and Puljujarvi and anybody else in this class can't touch Laine's goal scoring ability and mentality.

I have never been so sure about a player for the Canucks in the last 15 years of who they need to take if available. 

The answer is Patrick Laine. You put him with the Sedins next year and he will pot between 20-30 goals as a rookie and improve from there.

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Line eh is more physical and uses his body more. He is not afraid to bang which is why he is being called by some as the best pure scorer since guys like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and Stamkos. Plus he has a power game more than Pulj that will remind you of Ovechkin.

Scouts agree Puljs game is more 2 way and fewer holes but Laine has by far the highest upside in the entire draft offensively. You can improve skating and even a little of your shot. But it's too late for the competition to develop Laine's powerful shot and quick release.

Scouts feel Matthews and Puljujarvi and anybody else in this class can't touch Laine's goal scoring ability and mentality.

I have never been so sure about a player for the Canucks in the last 15 years of who they need to take if available. 

The answer is Patrick Laine. You put him with the Sedins next year and he will pot between 20-30 goals as a rookie and improve from there.

Matthews is a pretty good goal scorer. I've heard some scouts say he has a Sakic shot. Laine has that power sniper mentality like those who you have mentioned.

I'd still take Matthews with #1 though.

1. Matthews

2. Laine

3. Puljujarvi 

54 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Matthews is a pretty good goal scorer. I've heard some scouts say he has a Sakic shot. Laine has that power sniper mentality like those who you have mentioned.

I'd still take Matthews with #1 though.

1. Matthews

2. Laine

3. Puljujarvi 

I get what you are saying what Matthews does more than just score. He is a play maker has good puck skills and is very mature and is already refining his 2 way game which is something Laine needs to work on plus improving his skating a little bit.

I still think Laine has a best shot in this class and the higher pure goal scoring upside. Matthews may very well turn out to be the better player and score in more of a variety of ways.

But if you are looking for a true sniper one shot scorer like I mentioned like Kovalchuk,Ovechkin, and Stamkos then Patrik Laine blows away Matthews and Puljujarvi or anybody else.

With the Sedins like I said he would be virtually unstoppable as a rookie. I think he would get 20 goals minimum and quite probably closer to 30 goals as a rookie.

30 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I get what you are saying what Matthews does more than just score. He is a play maker has good puck skills and is very mature and is already refining his 2 way game which is something Laine needs to work on plus improving his skating a little bit.

I still think Laine has a best shot in this class and the higher pure goal scoring upside. Matthews may very well turn out to be the better player and score in more of a variety of ways.

But if you are looking for a true sniper one shot scorer like I mentioned like Kovalchuk,Ovechkin, and Stamkos then Patrik Laine blows away Matthews and Puljujarvi or anybody else.

With the Sedins like I said he would be virtually unstoppable as a rookie. I think he would get 20 goals minimum and quite probably closer to 30 goals as a rookie.

Yeah all of the top 3 could turn out to be world class talents.

Finland has been generating some quality players over the recent drafts.

20 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It's amazing they won in the world juniors this year and the are in the under 18 finals again this year. US is very impressive too.

Eichel and Matthews are just the tip of the iceberg Pierre McGuire says there are plenty more coming and from non traditonal hockey markets.

I have a feeling Canada is gonna have some stiff competition to keep winning in the big international tournaments.

24 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel safer with Matthews, and Laine becoming elite talents but Puljujarvi is questionable I think.

I have not seen him play with as high a compete level as Laine. He should be a quality top six winger but might become more of a playmaker and top out as a quality 1st or 2nd line winger but not elite.

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Interesting you say that when Laine gets the Super Mario comparison. Some sciut think he has ELITE consistent 30-40 goals a year potential!!!

I really like Laine too. I would take him over Puljujarvi at this point because he has played very well in the playoffs against men something that both Matthews and Puljujarvi or anyone in this class doesn't have the same elite shot, size and goal scoring potential as Line eh!!!

Maybe Laine is close to Ovechkin upside? That's striking stuff! Even if he's close, it's brilliant! Anyone should pumped if he became a Tarasenko? I think those are better stylistic comparisons for Laine myself?

And all probably still distant from Mario Lemieux upside wise as well. Regarded with Gretz by most as the two greatest forwards in modern history. I don't think we'll see anyone score 175 points or 200 again anytime soon.

Still fun seeing such good prospects at the top of this years draft!!!

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe Laine is close to Ovechkin upside? That's striking stuff! Even if he's close, it's brilliant! Anyone should pumped if he became a Tarasenko? I think those are better stylistic comparisons for Laine myself?

And all probably still distant from Mario Lemieux upside wise as well. Regarded with Gretz by most as the two greatest forwards in modern history. I don't think we'll see anyone score 175 points or 200 again anytime soon.

Still fun seeing such good prospects at the top of this years draft!!!

I still say we need two top 15 picks.  What is better for us: one of Matthews, Pulliarvi, Laine - OR - two of the other guys ranked top 4-15?  Would we be better off with Julioevi and McLeod, for example?

Are there two players 4-15 who would be better than getting only one of the top three?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I still say we need two top 15 picks.  What is better for us: one of Matthews, Pulliarvi, Laine - OR - two of the other guys ranked top 4-15?  Would we be better off with Julioevi and McLeod, for example?

Are there two players 4-15 who would be better than getting only one of the top three?

The 2knd guy can always come with patience!

There is only one opportunity to get guys who are a high percentage chance to be an impact player, a Jagr, a Tavares.  Guys like that do get picked later in the draft, but dramatically less often.  Elite combinations of size, speed and skill are only available so often. And scouting has them slip in the draft a lot less often. If they have it at 18, they will be wicked at 22!

But a running mate for Taveres, say Okposo, is often picked 7th, or 15th and is more reliably possible to develop from a 2knd or 3rd rounder. A guy who could not handle the pace at 18, finds that pace at 21 after pro training and coaching have been available to him. That's how "gems" are farmed from later picks. Patience!

Getting two running mates faster is no excuse for passing on an elite talent. If the elite guys are gone and you can parlay one running mate into two??? That's why GM's get paid the bucks.

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The 2knd guy can always come with patience!

There is only one opportunity to get guys who are a high percentage chance to be an impact player, a Jagr, a Tavares.  Guys like that do get picked later in the draft, but dramatically less often.  Elite combinations of size, speed and skill are only available so often. And scouting has them slip in the draft a lot less often. If they have it at 18, they will be wicked at 22!

But a running mate for Taveres, say Okposo, is often picked 7th, or 15th and is more reliably possible to develop from a 2knd or 3rd rounder. A guy who could not handle the pace at 18, finds that pace at 21 after pro training and coaching have been available to him. That's how "gems" are farmed from later picks. Patience!

Getting two running mates faster is no excuse for passing on an elite talent. If the elite guys are gone and you can parlay one running mate into two??? That's why GM's get paid the bucks.

I would trade Hansen to any team that picks in the top 15 to get another first rounder this year.

The Canucks could really get 3 quality prospects this draft with their own 1st rounder plus another teams' 1st by trading their best trade bait in Hansen.

Plus they got a high lick at the top of the 2nd round.

That's 3 potential impact NHL players who should have potential to be top 6 forwards and top 4 D men.

To me it's a no brainer to trade Hansen at his peak value coming off a Career year.

This could really speed the rebuild up a little with 3 picks inside the top 60.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

I would trade Hansen to any team that picks in the top 15 to get another first rounder this year.

Sorry, I must have read that wrong. Are you suggesting any team picking in the top 15 would trade that pick for a third liner?

On April 21, 2016 at 11:25 PM, RetroCanuck said:

So what your saying is the Canucks have, and can get, good prospects but still need 2/3 of the main pieces to contend for a cup. A #1 centre and #1 Defender... both are extremely hard to get. Canucks have the goaltending and most of the other positions filled, so are they supposed to trade to get that #1 D and centre? Or are we in a three/four year bottom of the NHL rebuild?

Im hoping we win the lottery and get Laine or Mathews and then make a trade to get a future #1 Defenceman, such as Chychrun or Bean.

chychrun and bean are not sure fire no 1 d men

Who do we need and who do I want? We need to get Laine, he's the better and smoother player over Puljujarvi. 

Then Id like to get another first rounder or two and grab Fabbro, everyone hyping about Chychrun & Sergachev who are likely just another inconsistent Phaneuf. Fabbro is the steal of the D men IMO, he reminds me of Kris Letang with his skating and multi edge control.      Trade 3rd OA, Hansen, & Veys RFA rights for  2nd OA & a (Conditional) 3rd rounder 2017

Trade 1st rounder 2017 (Top 10 protected) & Torts compensation 2nd rounder (if the Blue Jackets give it to us this year.) to

Avalanche for the 10th OA

3rd overall               2nd overall

Hansen        For     (Conditional) 3rd rounder 2017

Vey

1st rounder 2017                                                                                                              

2nd rounder 2016 (CBJ Torts compensation pick, basically a low 1st if we get their 2nd this year.)  For   10th overall

2nd OA-Draft Laine    

10th OA-Draft Fabbro

33rd OA-Draft Benson

Archived