The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

15 hours ago, SwedeHockey said:

I've always thought of SvenB as a 2nd liner, who can score. To be honest, I don't think it's realistic to call him a 1st liner with 50. An ideal first liner, imo can produce over 60+ points /year, unless he give you just a shade a less than that, but with exceptional defensive play and awareness. It is definitely possible for Sven achieve this production within a year or so, but I wouldn't call him a first liner quite yet. Not to take anything away from him - Sven is really coming into his own, which as a hockey fan, is always great to see, and I hope he continues this upward trend. He's started to play his type of game, which is going to the net with his stick on the ice. 

1st liner or not, he was an incredible pick up for just a 2nd round pick. One of Benning's best deals to date. 

Last year only 40 forwards scored 60 points or more in the NHL. There are 90 first line spots on the 30 teams. Baer is already scoring at a first line pace.

• Upvote 1

Lets see if he keeps up this hot streak of if it just ends up being a spurt of inconsistency. There's no way he keeps scoring at a point per game, but if he ends up finishing the rest of the 40 games with even 20-30 points, we've got a future first liner on our hands. 

In 2 years time when Horvat and Baertschi are in their prime, I'll be interested to see what effect someone elite like Boeser has on their line. May well be a line that can compete with Laine, Sheiffele and Ehlers. Not as much offensive skill but just as strong and better defensively.

On January 3, 2017 at 7:37 PM, SwedeHockey said:

I've always thought of SvenB as a 2nd liner, who can score. To be honest, I don't think it's realistic to call him a 1st liner with 50. An ideal first liner, imo can produce over 60+ points /year, unless he give you just a shade a less than that, but with exceptional defensive play and awareness. It is definitely possible for Sven achieve this production within a year or so, but I wouldn't call him a first liner quite yet. Not to take anything away from him - Sven is really coming into his own, which as a hockey fan, is always great to see, and I hope he continues this upward trend. He's started to play his type of game, which is going to the net with his stick on the ice. 

1st liner or not, he was an incredible pick up for just a 2nd round pick. One of Benning's best deals to date. 

The Granlund's is not bad too, and Sbisa is turning to be a very steady Dman. Geez... has JB been a good GM for us??

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

The Granlund's is not bad too, and Sbisa is turning to be a very steady Dman. Geez... has JB been a good GM for us??

Wow, isn't everything coming up roses right now! Tough deal in Utica right now but when you look at how much talent will be headed there next year it should be very interesting. As good as this winning streak is the Canucks are not deep and injuries could quickly snuff out any drive.

10 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Just noticed that Sven is in the top ten in the whole NHL for even strength points per 60 minutes.  Hes surrounded by some lofty company in this list of players:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201617&sit=5v5&type=individual&teamid=0&pos=forwards&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Stop putting pressure on him. You are part of the problem.

10 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Stop putting pressure on him. You are part of the problem.

Yeah I'm sure Sven reads theses posts and feels pressure...

...must be another cold weather shut in day in Alberta... 

• Upvote 2

Baertschi was the highest mover up the all-time list today with his assist.  Passing, among others, the immortal Steve Bernier.

131.  J.J. Daigneault D 131 9 46 55
132.  Sven Baertschi LW 112 28 26 54
133.  Dave Scatchard C 179 26 28 54
134.  Steve Bernier RW 140 26 28 54
135.  Blair MacDonald RW 88 26 28 54
136.  Jeff Brown D 72 10 44 54

On 1/6/2017 at 9:02 AM, Darius71 said:

Yeah I'm sure Sven reads theses posts and feels pressure...

...must be another cold weather shut in day in Alberta... 

Not sure what you even mean by that guy, but I'm not from Alberta.

Look, I love Baer, but you can't go calling him a first liner already. I'm sure he's going to slump soon, as young players do. 

Quit it with your lofty expectations. Maybe next year when Boeser gets here. 

2 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Look, I love Baer, but you can't go calling him a first liner already. I'm sure he's going to slump soon, as young players do. 

Bäer is on pace for just under 50 points. that's pretty good. is suspect if he can get over 50 points. thats second line production for sure. might not be a stretch if he surpasses that next season. 

11 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

I  just posted stats, nowhere did I call him a first liner and nowhere did I post lofty expectations.

Stop imagining things and maybe Ill stop imagining your are masquerading as a Canuck fan and that you live on a ranch in Alberta.

Sound like a good deal?

Edited by Darius71
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Darius71 said:

I  just posted stats, nowhere did I call him a first liner and nowhere did I post lofty expectations.

Stop imagining things and maybe Ill stop imagining your are masquerading as a Canuck fan and that you live on a ranch in Alberta.

Sound like a good deal?

I'm not imagining things. You were saying it to strongly imply that he belongs in first liner conversation. Don't try to pretend you meant otherwise. 

So maybe you should stop lying and I'll keep telling the truth.

7 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

I'm not imagining things. You were saying it to strongly imply that he belongs in first liner conversation. Don't try to pretend you meant otherwise. 

Sure.

Ill let the other readers decide what my intent was.  Im not going to get in a tit for tat with you because obviously you have lots of brains in that big head.

Edited by Darius71

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Sure.

Ill let the other readers decide what my intent was.  Im not going to get in a tit for tat with you because obviously you have lots of brains in that big head.

9 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Rabble rabble rabble...

I don't know if it's just me, but has anyone else noticed how Baertschi's shiftiness, explosive speed, and skills grew exponentially spontaneously? Before you'd see Baertschi deke around and maybe sometimes it'd kind of work, but a lot of the times he's spinning around and he'd get muscled off the puck. Now he's "Slick Rick" with the puck. Very happy to see how he's progressed into looking like a legitimate top 6 player after being "thrown away" by Calgary.

47 minutes ago, suitup said:

I don't know if it's just me, but has anyone else noticed how Baertschi's shiftiness, explosive speed, and skills grew exponentially spontaneously? Before you'd see Baertschi deke around and maybe sometimes it'd kind of work, but a lot of the times he's spinning around and he'd get muscled off the puck. Now he's "Slick Rick" with the puck. Very happy to see how he's progressed into looking like a legitimate top 6 player after being "thrown away" by Calgary.

Nope not just you. He obviously got stronger and is completely confident right now and WD is trusting him to play. He hangs onto the puck longer and is able to shift people to create room for himself.

16 minutes ago, Jonald said:

Nope not just you. He obviously got stronger and is completely confident right now and WD is trusting him to play. He hangs onto the puck longer and is able to shift people to create room for himself.

Going to be a beaut for us for years to come! Thanks Calgary! 

On January 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Hugor Hill said:

well part of the problem for us fans is we want results right away which is impossible to ask in many cases when players are young. its like when u smoke a joint and start cooking but start eating what your cooking before its done.......its tempting but doesnt have the result u want. but how good is it when u let it cook and develop into what it should/could be? wanna smoke a j?