The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

18 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Is it just me or are people unfairly blaming Baertschi? From what I've seen, he's working hard and getting chances, but just seems really snake-bitten. Maybe I'm missing something, but Baerstchi seems to be putting the work in, just to no avail.

At the end of the day you have to produce ppg if you are a o-zone player. I agree that he is snake bit as I see him generating chances say versus Granlund who is being rewarded. It is an assessment as to how long you can wait or until another player forces him out. I see depth building in the bottom six forward group but the top 6 has not.

22 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Is it just me or are people unfairly blaming Baertschi? From what I've seen, he's working hard and getting chances, but just seems really snake-bitten. Maybe I'm missing something, but Baerstchi seems to be putting the work in, just to no avail.

From what I've seen of him this season,he definitely looks stronger,and more engaged,but has an annoying tendency to keep falling over (ala Mason Raymond)..He looked really dangerous in the Dallas game,especially on the point of the 2nd unit PP...He has been snakebitten,and should have at least 5 goals so far,but its a results driven business,and he has to convert.

On 17.11.2016 at 3:29 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I would sit Baer for a couple games.

as a wake up call.

I would take him to a tour through all the bars I know, I think he puts to much pressure on himself. Give the kid a break, he needs a special confidence boost. A paradoxical intention with a lot of beer and party sometimes help to top athletes. They are human and not machines and they have to accepte that they never will be perfect. A good hangover can do wonder sometimes to people who want to be perfect.

That's the way we do it in Switzerland.

::D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, samurai said:

He is starting to look like borderline NHL talent.  

Really? I thought he looks like a 24 year old slightly undersized forward with a ton of skill but being forced to develop in a rotating top six on a lottery team.

This is exactly what Benning was talking about when he said he wanted to add another scorer to take the pressure off Baertschi. Developing in a top six is like learning to drive during a NASCAR race, some guys can do it but most either need time or more sheltered minutes to do so.

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

At the end of the day you have to produce ppg if you are a o-zone player. I agree that he is snake bit as I see him generating chances say versus Granlund who is being rewarded. It is an assessment as to how long you can wait or until another player forces him out. I see depth building in the bottom six forward group but the top 6 has not.

Isn't that the disconnect re O-zone player?  Why is he playing with Horvat who is primarily used as a defensive C.  Horvat also excels off the rush while Baer is more about creating a play in the O-zone to score.  Baer is also more of a playmaker than a goal scorer and likes to make those quick give and goes - they talked of how his offensive creativity meshed with Monahan's smarts.  Benning talks of how good Granlund is at getting the puck to his wingers and they did look good in pre-season together.

At the start of the season it also looked like WD was leaning towards playing Baer with Granlund but it only lasted one game as it relegated Horvat to the 4th.  Now that they are willing to play Sutter at wing maybe they should re-visit.  

Edited by mll

45 minutes ago, mll said:

Isn't that the disconnect re O-zone player?  Why is he playing with Horvat who is primarily used as a defensive C.  Horvat also excels off the rush while Baer is more about creating a play in the O-zone to score.  Baer is also more of a playmaker than a goal scorer and likes to make those quick give and goes - they talked of how his offensive creativity meshed with Monahan's smarts.  Benning talks of how good Granlund is at getting the puck to his wingers and they did look good in pre-season together.

At the start of the season it also looked like WD was leaning towards playing Baer with Granlund but it only lasted one game as it relegated Horvat to the 4th.  Now that they are willing to play Sutter at wing maybe they should re-visit.  

Agreed

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Eriksson-Horvat-Burrows

Baertschi-Granlund-Dorsett

would be my lines right now

I'm going to criticize Baertschi because whenever I criticize players, they usually score and make me look bad (which is fine as long as we win). 

I think Eriksson does a lot of other things that make him valuable even when he is not scoring. But the same cannot be said about Baertschi; he doesn't do much else. He is OK in the defensive zone but not great like Hansen. He does not create chances consistently in the offensive zone and doesn't support puck battles along the boards in the offensive zone very well. He doesn't even forecheck well like Hansen or Sutter.

Baer has a lot of skill and I think he will eventually break out but right now, he and Bo are like water and oil. They don't play well as a unit; there is no coherence in their play. That line does create chances from time to time, but those chances are not the result of Baer and Bo working together (passing, moving to spaces, etc) but rather, based on individual efforts. For example, Bo driving the puck to the net and taking a shot on net. And usually, there is no one for the rebound. They don't even create many turnovers in the offensive zone. It's Horvat's fault as much as Baertschi for not being able to play well together but most of the time, I feel like Baertschi isn't able to match Horvat's intensity on the ice. 

Burrows being on that line helps them play as a line as Burr serves as the glue between Horvat and Baertschi. And I think they have been better since Burrows joined them but Baertschi needs to step up his game to match Horvat's intensity. The goals will come. Go Canucks go and go Sven!

2 hours ago, Katobaron said:

Really? I thought he looks like a 24 year old slightly undersized forward with a ton of skill but being forced to develop in a rotating top six on a lottery team.

This is exactly what Benning was talking about when he said he wanted to add another scorer to take the pressure off Baertschi. Developing in a top six is like learning to drive during a NASCAR race, some guys can do it but most either need time or more sheltered minutes to do so.

A ton skill that isn't translating.  24 isn't quite as young as it used to be.  Look at all the 19-22 years olds getting it done - see Horvat.    Sven isn't going to be an a top line player, 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Agreed

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Eriksson-Horvat-Burrows

Baertschi-Granlund-Dorsett

would be my lines right now

I am not sure that Eriksson works with Horvat - it was tried for a game.  When Eriksson was acquired he talked of how he likes to pass the puck and get it right back - that's more Baer-Granlund than Horvat.  The Baer-Granlund line needs a goal scorer and that's not Dorsett.  Hansen cannot come back quickly enough - he would be a good fit with Horvat re playing style.  

3 hours ago, samurai said:

A ton skill that isn't translating.  24 isn't quite as young as it used to be.  Look at all the 19-22 years olds getting it done - see Horvat.    Sven isn't going to be an a top line player, 

Well the pick we gave up for him was our 2015 second rounder which turned into the 53rd overall pick in the 2015 draft. According to a 2014 draft article by Scott Cullen, a pick in the 50-55 range generally only has a 33% chance of playing 100 NHL games and projects on average to be somewhere between a "minor leaguer under 50 games" and a "very good minor leaguer" so if your expectation of Sven was a guaranteed top line scoring talent then I suggest you gain some traction on reality because Calgary certainly didn't think so.

http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=455673

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

9 minutes ago, samurai said:

Sven was a first rounder.  And projected to be that so the second rounder point is mute.   'gain traction on reality',  just doesn't  work.  I am talking about the phrase.  

Maybe people in Calgary projected him to be an elite top liner but as I recall the scouting report was more to the tune of "high end puck distributer with a great hockey IQ, fast wheels and a quick shot, but may struggle with the size and physicality of the NHL game". Considering the pick before him is currently being shopped around the NHL and the pick after him is making less headlines than his Olympian sister, I'd be very pleased with where Sven's development is at. He's got more of a nose for the net and scoring more dirty goals than he did in Calgary and has managed to find chemistry on our roster which can be hard to do. As of now we're playing a very defensively responsible scheme that involves a lot of winger back checking but put him in a run and gun Vigneault coached system and I'd put money on him scoring 20 this year. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Katobaron said:

Well the pick we gave up for him was our 2015 second rounder which turned into the 53rd overall pick in the 2015 draft. According to a 2014 draft article by Scott Cullen, a pick in the 50-55 range generally only has a 33% chance of playing 100 NHL games and projects on average to be somewhere between a "minor leaguer under 50 games" and a "very good minor leaguer" so if your expectation of Sven was a guaranteed top line scoring talent then I suggest you gain some traction on reality because Calgary certainly didn't think so.

http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/story/?id=455673

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NHL_Entry_Draft

That 2nd rounder that the Lames got for Barcheese looks like a great pick.

7 hours ago, ice orca said:

That 2nd rounder that the Lames got for Barcheese looks like a great pick.

Really? Last I heard he showed up to camp out of shape and was criticized for poor conditioning. He's listed at 6'2 212 lbs and the Flames 3rd pairing consists of Kulak and Engelland so whatever is keeping him from playing is probably either between the ears or off the ice.