The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

4. Yes his skating needs work and its not his stride. Its really his first 2-3 steps. He just doesn't have that 'explosiveness' he'll need at the NHL level. Once he's moving he's got wheels. This is correctable though, he's not slow, he's slow off the mark. Is that weight? nope, its core, its leg strength, its training.

From everything I've read and heard the guy is very well conditioned and is a gym rat. I don't think strength is the problem.

He'll probably need to do what Kassian did early on which is to drop 10-15lbs. That makes a huge difference for skating. Then they'll get him on the plyo training.

From everything I've read and heard the guy is very well conditioned and is a gym rat. I don't think strength is the problem.

He'll probably need to do what Kassian did early on which is to drop 10-15lbs. That makes a huge difference for skating. Then they'll get him on the plyo training.

Not that we have any clue what his regimen is but he may just need more training specific to explosiveness from his legs. He might just not have the same percentage of fast twitch fibers in his leg muscles as other, faster skaters and will always be at a disadvantage, but I'd think he'll end up being just fine for the NHL level if everything else comes along.

Guys, having a quick first 3 steps (otherwise known as being quick, which is different from being fast) is mostly genetic and determined by the composition of type I, type IIA, and type IIB muscle fibers. You can improve your first three steps, or 'quickness' as it were, but Gaunce is simply never going to be super quick.

What NHL player would you guys compare Gaunce to? I've only watched him play during preseason and when i read some scouting reports they compared him to Dubinsky and O'Reilly but i want to know what you guys think.

very similar to ROR, not a great skater, both two way centers, leadership, can score and pass the puck

I think it's still hard to say what he'll become right now.

He's obviously a big body player who can shoot the puck well. He's an underrated playmaker, who doesn't have explosive skating, but seems to be very good positionally.

I think this will be a big year for him to see if he becomes a good third line checker, or if he has another level and can become a two way second line center or left winger.

I tend to think he has another level to his offensive game that will hopefully be brought out. It's almost guaranteed that he'll be traded this season to a contender, so that could go a long ways in his development. Playing for team Canada could be a huge boost too.

After this season I think we'll know alot more about what we have with him.

ROR is a good comparison. 26 points in each of his first 2 years at the NHL level. Seems like reasonable expectations for Gaunce if he makes the big club next year.

I like ROR's game a lot. He contributes in so many ways and I think Gaunce will do the same for us :)

I think it's still hard to say what he'll become right now.

He's obviously a big body player who can shoot the puck well. He's an underrated playmaker, who doesn't have explosive skating, but seems to be very good positionally.

I think this will be a big year for him to see if he becomes a good third line checker, or if he has another level and can become a two way second line center or left winger.

I tend to think he has another level to his offensive game that will hopefully be brought out. It's almost guaranteed that he'll be traded this season to a contender, so that could go a long ways in his development. Playing for team Canada could be a huge boost too.

After this season I think we'll know alot more about what we have with him.

I'd go alomg with that assessment. If he does lack some speed his positioning is his ace in the hole. You can cover up a lot with good positioning. I was surprised he seemed to be in awe at the start of training camp but stared too settle down...but maybe a little to late. But the expeience IMO makes him a shoe in for next season. When you think about it next season may well be a big year with Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Archibald, Lack all take a more meaningful place on the roster and who knows Grenier seems to be coming along.......