The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Bo Horvat does it all in season debut with London Knights

OWEN SOUND - Bo Horvat brings so many things to the London Knights.

One of the unexpected bonuses is levity.

When the star forward was whistled late for elbowing in an eventual 4-2 win over the Owen Sound Attack before 2,443 Wednesday night at the Bayshore, he quipped he immediately thought of suspended mate Max Domi's fate in his first OHL game back Sunday in Guelph.

“I was hoping I wasn't getting tossed or definitely if they scored (to tie it), it wouldn't have been a good start for the both of us,” the Vancouver Canucks first-rounder said. “I was pretty happy we got the win.”

Not many of London's seven straight road victories against the Attack have been a waltzes through the park.

The Knights built up a 3-0 lead, but were forced to kill 51 seconds worth of a two-man Attack advantage in the final few minutes with Horvat, their most trusted faceoff taker, in the box and goalie Anthony Stolarz in disbelief over a delay of game call against him.

The 6-foot-6 stopper was accused of kicking the net off its pegs after making a request to one of the refs to repair it. He noticed the net was coming loose easily and the holes weren't drilled all that far into the ice.

“Earlier in the period, I asked him if I could get a re-peg,” the Philadelphia Flyers prospect said, “but they would've had to bring out the drill to do it. They said don't worry about it, it'll be fine.”

Clearly, it wasn't.

The next thing Stolarz knew, Remi Elie was skating to the box in his spot and the Attack had their 10th power play of the game.

“I make a save and look over and I'm wondering what's going on,” he said. “I had no idea I had a delay of game penalty until I see No. 43 (his number) up there on the scoreboard.”

The Knights held on through stout penalty killing, allowing the Attack just one power-play goal. They triumphed with superior shot blocking, a physical approach and Horvat's ability to shut down the OHL's leading scorer Gemel Smith.

The dangerous Attack forward had nine goals in his first four games but only an assist in this meeting.

Horvat scored his first goal, swiping in the rebound of a Ryan Rupert shot off iron in the second period.

“Nice to get the first one out of the way and we'll take it from there,” the 18-year-old Rodney native said. “In Vancouver, you're playing against great, NHL players every night and that (facing the Smith challenge) kind of got me going again. It took a little bit to get used to it but after a couple of shifts, I felt good.

“I thought the whole team played well. We stayed composed and didn't get too down on ourselves (because of the penalties).”

Horvat's presence unshackled fellow centre Chris Tierney from the responsibility of taking a primarily defensive approach.

He flourished with the freedom, scoring the game's first goal and making a heads-up play on Miles Liberati's game-winner.

The Knights only have one of their five NHL first-rounders in the lineup right now, but the “Ox” contributes in a lot of different ways.

“Bo's an all-around player and you look at him top to bottom, he does everything well,” said Stolarz, who played in the bounce-filled Bayshore rink for the first time. “He's a great addition to our team. It's a shame he couldn't stay in Vancouver but we won't complain about having him back. Having him with his experience and what he brings, I think he's going to be a real veteran leader for us.”

The Knights arrived at the rink with something to prove after being knocked from first down to fourth in the Canadian Hockey League's rankings after the Guelph loss. They faced some adversity with Domi gone for four games and Montreal first-rounder Michael McCarron nursing a shoulder injury.

“It's a good bounce-back win,” Stolarz said. “We didn't want to win two in a row, especially on the road. We went out and played our game. Even though we have a couple of guys missing, we made do with what we've got and I think it was our best defensive effort of the year so far.”

The Knights believe they will be more difficult to beat as this season rolls on.

If rivals don't get to them early, they might never get them at all.

http://www.lfpress.c...one-on-the-road

Edited by playboi19

Guest Dasein

I'm not too sure about that. Everybody around here knows that Bo has taken over as the true leader of the team.

I'm guessing you don't know much about Olli Maatta. Just because he's European doesn't mean he cannot lead and that Bo is the outright leader of this team. And also take into consideration that London usually picks a defenseman as a captain - Harrington and before that Tinordi.

Bo hasn't been named captain yet. I personally think it is Maatta's to lose.

The entire CHL is going to be ridiculous this year. With the same level of scoring talent, but the lack of import goalies, I expect the average game to be 5-4 or something retarded. It will be great for Bo's offensive development, and we already know what Shinkaruk can do offensively. Here's to hoping they're both scoring leaders of their teams, but it would mean less than ever before.

http://www.teamradio.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Mike_Gillis_with_BMac_and_Taylor_Oct2nd.mp3

gillis interview he discusses horvat/shinkaruk says they will play huge minutes in the CHL,world juniors,mem cup and then be that much more ready next year when they make this team.

horvat/shink discussed near the end of the interview. I thought this was an interesting phrasing of words from MG clearly they thought the two of them were close.

I'm guessing you don't know much about Olli Maatta. Just because he's European doesn't mean he cannot lead and that Bo is the outright leader of this team. And also take into consideration that London usually picks a defenseman as a captain - Harrington and before that Tinordi.

Bo hasn't been named captain yet. I personally think it is Maatta's to lose.

i know plenty about olli maata, he volunteered at a school i was at many times. great guy, but him and horvat would both be equally good fits

Horvat will dominate the OHL. Probably land 1st-3rd in scoring, and win the Memorial Cup.

No knock on Horvat, but him finishing 3rd, let alone 1st in scoring would be extremely unlikely. Domi will likely score more points than him.

He's a 2-way player, he isn't going to be that flashy offensive stat guy.

“It's a good bounce-back win,” Stolarz said. “We didn't want to win two in a row, especially on the road. We went out and played our game. Even though we have a couple of guys missing, we made do with what we've got and I think it was our best defensive effort of the year so far.”

Quality writing

Horvat with an assist tonight so far

@stubbs1290cjbk: Bo Horvat steals a puck in centre - races into the Windsor zone and feeds Matt Rupert to tie game - then C. Dvorak makes it 2-1 Knights.

Also found this quite funny lol

@CanucksArmy: Could use a word for getting owned by Bo Horvat. Bowned? #Bowned

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

No knock on Horvat, but him finishing 3rd, let alone 1st in scoring would be extremely unlikely. Domi will likely score more points than him.

He's a 2-way player, he isn't going to be that flashy offensive stat guy.

The challenge to score points in the OHL doesn't seem that tough, Domi. Sterk, Smith, Dal Colle. I never heard of the 3/4 of the guys, I don't know if I should expect much but they have quite a few points.