The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

should have canned gillis as soon as he made the trade. Schnieder deserved a top 3 pick.

Have to agree it was a bad trade. Horvat is a good prospect but looks likely to be good 2-way centre who can play on the 2nd or 3rd line -- and still needs time to reach that level. That is not enough for one of the best goalies in the league (and one of the best teammated in the league). I cannot believe how bad MG was in his final year. Getting such a limited return for Schnieder, hiring Torts, and re-signing the Sedins for salaries that are much too high make a trifecta of very bad decisions. It looks like he was trying too hard to protect his own rear end instead of standing up for the right decisions.

I'm not too worried about Horvat. I think he will be a solid 2nd line center. We've seen during the WJC what he can do when he he has an offensively skilled linemate in McDavid and is put in a scoring role. Yeah he didnt get many points but he was able to set up McDavid for a bunch of great scoring chances.

• Upvote 2

Schneider was never going to land a top 3 pick.

Yea, people are delusional if the think he could get that return.

When has a goalie ever been traded for something that valuable. Luongo in his prime couldn't fetch more than an aging star and a top 4 D-man.

• Upvote 3

I cant believe we had a chance to draft Nichushkin . If you told me it was going to happen I would have told you it would cost our pick (24) plus Schneider and Tanev to trade all the way up to #5 where he was projected to go. Then all of a sudden we can get him for just Schneider???

It seems like the story of Gillis' tenure. He pulls off this amazing coup to draft a franchise player who has luckily fallen to us..........but instead he chooses Horvat? :frantic:

Bo is a solid player. If he turns out to be Bergeron I will be satisfied for what we gave up . :) He just needs to work on his footspeed and hes got all the other tools.

• Upvote 1

We needed a center.

Where Gillis screwed up is trading Hodgson and not getting a center in return. It was clear Schroeder wasn't going to be a star at that point, so that's when we needed to fill that void.

No way we were gonna draft a winger with the 9th overall.

• Upvote 1

I cant believe we had a chance to draft Nichushkin . If you told me it was going to happen I would have told you it would cost our pick (24) plus Schneider and Tanev to trade all the way up to #5 where he was projected to go. Then all of a sudden we can get him for just Schneider???

It seems like the story of Gillis' tenure. He pulls off this amazing coup to draft a franchise player who has luckily fallen to us..........but instead he chooses Horvat? :frantic:

Bo is a solid player. If he turns out to be Bergeron I will be satisfied for what we gave up . :) He just needs to work on his footspeed and hes got all the other tools.

Exactly this, I do like Bo. Bergeron is my favorite player, so if he can reach that level that would be amazing. Even still, I don't support the decision that was made to target a defensive center. When this went down I thought the entire purpose was because Nichushkin, the type of winger we've needed forever was available. I'd rather have Nichushkin, and i'd really really rather have Schneids.

We needed a center.

Where Gillis screwed up is trading Hodgson and not getting a center in return. It was clear Schroeder wasn't going to be a star at that point, so that's when we needed to fill that void.

Teams looking for a young center like Hodgson aren't looking to trade one as well.

Have to agree it was a bad trade. Horvat is a good prospect but looks likely to be good 2-way centre who can play on the 2nd or 3rd line -- and still needs time to reach that level.

Where have we heard that before?

"Great defensive awareness... Solid in every single area...character, grit, and strength... I don't think he'll play as a first line or second line player, but he will be a great third line player in the league... Not going/expected to put a lot of points on the board"

The differences are that Horvat has produced better offensively already and Kesler was a better skater.

• Upvote 1

Teams looking for a young center like Hodgson aren't looking to trade one as well.

You never know. Hodgson had established himself as an NHL player. There may have been teams out there willing to trade a center prospect for him who was a couple years away from making the NHL.

There's always options.

Nichushkin isn't a franchise player

• Upvote 3

"Great defensive awareness... Solid in every single area...character, grit, and strength... I don't think he'll play as a first line or second line player, but he will be a great third line player in the league... Not going/expected to put a lot of points on the board"

The differences are that Horvat has produced better offensively already and Kesler was a better skater.

Canucks need to get Bo a skating coach. Should be his priority this offseason is working on his stride to get him some speed.

You never know. Hodgson had established himself as an NHL player. There may have been teams out there willing to trade a center prospect for him who was a couple years away from making the NHL.

There's always options.

At the time who would you of traded him for?

We needed a center.

At least it was for Kassian and not Sutter.

• Upvote 1

How so ? If our new Gm decides to give the Canucks a makeover, who do we have as desirable assets to help him facilitate his moves ? Our plethora of third and fourth liners ? As Ninja was able to glean from my post, Horvat is not Benning's pick so who's to say he's the type of player he wants on the Canucks going forward. Please, enlighten me with your wisdom on the subject rather than tagging me with a lame "drive by" post judgement.

Did you watch the presser? Benning is in love with Horvat.

• Upvote 1

sigh...memories

As he should be. The warriors are the ones you want on your team, regardless of talent gifted to them at birth.

Yeah anyone saying we should trade Horvat, just because London had a bad memorial cup is a fool. They might not admit thats the reason, but If they won the thing no one would be saying that. It wasnt his fault did you watch the games? He was only average/bad in one of them. The other two games he was a force. Always in on the back check, its gorgeous. Only nit pick is his quickness, which is open for improvement.

Filitov, ect. made the GM's gun shy. I dont blame them. I would be wary of taking a Russian with the KHL handing out big amounts of mob money.

Edited by messier's_elbow

We needed a center.

Yes you are right that Bo was the right pick. After Bo was drafted their was a huge drop off in centers available and the next one drafted wasnt until the mid 20s in Gauthier which is a massive amount of drop off in talent. I think that pick was looking at supply (only project centers were available after Bo) and demand (every team is looking for a C like Horvat to add to their prospect pool).

Here are a few things people need to take into consideration for passing over Nichushkin:

For starters the canucks were in salary cap problems and could only afford depth signings to go with signing our RFAs. Nichushkin was the 10 pick yet he was signed for the same money as the top 4 picks were and with the cap trouble the canucks were in due to the cap decrease it would of ment he wouldve had to start off in the AHL and as it had been stated that would mean he was bolting back to the KHL.

Also maybe this was not a concern but we have 0 Russians involved in managment or playing in any level of the organization and that might had been a problem due to the language barrier and culture/lifestyle change coming from Russia. At least Dallas had Gonchar to take Nichuskin under his wing to help him adapt to NA and another language.

Edited by RustyShackleford
  • Upvote 4