The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Don't think Horvat gets anything out of being in London for another year. Give him a shot. Unlike Shinkaruk (who I like), I don't see Bo getting down about lack of offensive production if he is doing the little things right. I think he will be ready. Not basing this on yesterday's game, just a general opinion on how Horvat played last year and what I think he'll be able to do this year.

I really want to see Horvat make the team, he plays in the big games, Memorial Cup, World Juniors, Ivan Hlinka, U17s, he plays a good all-around game. If injuries hit we'll have Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Jensen all playing pro hockey along with Horvat.

Benning on Bo in his interview on TSN with Bob McKenzie:

- Will have to beat a veteran out for a roster spot

- Is a very good young player who's proven a lot at junior level already and worked hard over the summer

- This weekend (Young Stars tournament) will give him a jump start so he'll be ready to go for main camp

- Other centers (Bonino, Vey, Richardson, Matthias) can move to the wing

When McKenzie asks if Bo will get a look on the wing like some of the centers suggested above:

- Not likely

- Wants to put Bo in a position where he can succeed and feels most comfortable at, and that's at center

- Benning hasn't seen Bo play much on the wing so they are going to try him out at center

Edited by Dasein

From the game last night, Bo is noticeable for being unnoticeable. He always makes the smart play, is never out of position and plays a rope-a-dope style, just waiting for the opposition to make a mistake. In the 4 on 3 overtime Green put him out. As complete a 2 way player as we have in our orginization. I was isolating on him a few times last night and he looked like he was just floating around, but he takes the game as it comes to him in the same way that Gaunce does. That style might make it hard for him to make the Canucks this year, because he doesn't go out of his way to be flashy and stand out. I hope he does make it though, because his game will translate to the NHL and even at a half a step faster he will still make the game look easy.

From the game last night, Bo is noticeable for being unnoticeable. He always makes the smart play, is never out of position and plays a rope-a-dope style, just waiting for the opposition to make a mistake. In the 4 on 3 overtime Green put him out. As complete a 2 way player as we have in our orginization. I was isolating on him a few times last night and he looked like he was just floating around, but he takes the game as it comes to him in the same way that Gaunce does. That style might make it hard for him to make the Canucks this year, because he doesn't go out of his way to be flashy and stand out. I hope he does make it though, because his game will translate to the NHL and even at a half a step faster he will still make the game look easy.

I think your overall assessment might be right in that he was never really out of position, but he didn't exactly make an impression on Green - this is indicative of what actually happened in OT rather than what you say happened in the bolded.

To start the OT, Green put Jensen out even though he's a winger on the 4-on-3 - he lost the faceoff (obviously).

I thought, 'Green must want to go with his pro player with experience to win this game.' So, I expected Horvat to jump over the board when Jensen went to change after a successful kill (so far) but then actually Gaunce came over. Then, when we had the chance to change again, Jensen came back out again.

Horvat literally came on for maybe about the final 10 seconds, presumably for the shift after the PK. There was a stoppage of play shortly after the man-advantage was over, Horvat lost the ensuing faceoff in the defensive zone, and Edmonton scored.

I kid you not. This is exactly what happened. You can check it again on the Canucks YouTube channel.

I think your overall assessment might be right in that he was never really out of position, but he didn't exactly make an impression on Green - this is indicative of what actually happened in OT rather than what you say happened in the bolded.

To start the OT, Green put Jensen out even though he's a winger on the 4-on-3 - he lost the faceoff (obviously).

I thought, 'Green must want to go with his pro player with experience to win this game.' So, I expected Horvat to jump over the board when Jensen went to change after a successful kill (so far) but then actually Gaunce came over. Then, when we had the chance to change again, Jensen came back out again.

Horvat literally came on for maybe about the final 10 seconds, presumably for the shift after the PK. There was a stoppage of play shortly after the man-advantage was over, Horvat lost the ensuing faceoff in the defensive zone, and Edmonton scored.

I kid you not. This is exactly what happened. You can check it again on the Canucks YouTube channel.

What happened in bold did actually happen and you are mistaken for calling me out on it. I was well aware that Jensen was the 1st out there, which really surprised me, and that Gaunce got some time on the PK. Again... Horvat just makes all the right plays and makes it look effortless in the same way that Gaunce does. For that reason I don't think he gets a sniff at the NHL this year even though he might earn it.

What happened in bold did actually happen and you are mistaken for calling me out on it. I was well aware that Jensen was the 1st out there, which really surprised me, and that Gaunce got some time on the PK. Again... Horvat just makes all the right plays and makes it look effortless in the same way that Gaunce does. For that reason I don't think he gets a sniff at the NHL this year even though he might earn it.

Green went with Jensen twice and Gaunce once to give Jensen a breather before tapping Bo on the shoulder - that's not a guy you would say was sent out to kill the penalty. He came on for literally the final 10 seconds.. that hardly counts as Green putting him out there for the PK - that's like saying the Sedins killed the PK for Vigneault when he used to throw them out there for the final seconds of the PK so they can play the 5v5 shift after it.

Honestly, some people are too hard on Horvat.

He plays a smart game and does all the little things right.

I think for a player like him who plays such a structured game, games like these are difficult for him to play in. The players looked scrambly and disorganized for the most part. Which should be expected considering most of the guys have never played together and haven`t played in a few months.

I expect a better showing when preseason starts.

He plays smarter than most guys, that's why he was paired with Reinhart and McDavid at the WJC.

Very few players have played with a guy like Bo, they aren't ready for his passes sometimes, because they don't expect it yet. Fox is the one guy who is always ready for a pass and I like them on the same line. Bo is good at digging and making plays from the wall Fox is good and finding space to get shots off.

As a center capable of a bottom-6 role, I don't see why we'd have to send him down to junior. It's not like he'll learn anything new down there from dominating guys way younger and smaller than he is. I think he's ready for a 4th line role in the least here. Already more capable than a lot of our current roster, and he needs to start learning how to play against pros.

Shifts shortened, speed increased. He simply won't get that in London.

Another year in junior, followed by seasoning in the AHL will just slow down his development and increase the risk of him becoming a bust and/or unhappy here.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs
  • Upvote 3

Man all these people who think Bo is too good for junior...

He's not. Get over yourselves. He can develop in junior this year and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

And we don't know if he's capable of a bottom-6 role yet. It's not even main camp yet.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 2

Man all these people who think Bo is too good for junior...

He's not. Get over yourselves. He can develop in junior this year and it wouldn't be the end of the world.

And we don't know if he's capable of a bottom-6 role yet. It's not even main camp yet.

Sir Das;

You might want to take your own advise and "get over yourself". If you can't see that he is better at just about everything then Hansen and as good as Richardson at FO's then your eyes are almost shut, sort of squinting sideways while telling yourself "that wasn't a good play".

If he goes back to Junior he will be the anchor of team Canada and it's best player, he may not lead the scoring race but he will lead.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually not a fan of Green so far, I hope he can do something in Utica but I don't know, I'm not thrilled

If you think the criticism against Horvat is high now just wait until Schneider wins the Vezina this year.

It's okay Horvat has just as good a shot at the Calder as Schneider does at the Vezina.

About 4-5 ahead of him would have to get injured and miss significant time for Schneider to win.