The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

The Curious case of Benjamin Hutton

Come on people! That deserves more than my lonely +1 :lol:

I was going to add earlier that the status next year of Hutton's classmate Devin Shore (draftniks will remember him being conspicuously available the year we took Mallet) may play into his decision as Shore is the 'franchise player' for Maine, so to speak.

Well, it didn't take Shore long to sign with Dallas:

Stars sign forward Shore to entry-level contract

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=757404

Interesting...

I've never been happy when i've seen one... I have to assume they suck, but I have an open mind and am I'm willing to give it a try and see how it goes.

That's because Vancouver hasn't ever had one. When that glorious day finally happens, it could be the worst parade in the history of man and I'll still be happier than a pig in @#$% ::D

it's the first we, as the general public, have heard this about him. We've heard this about McNally (which is why he slid too) but never about hutton. this information changes everything as far as expectations about him leaving goes. glad to hear it.

I'm not sure where Jason Botchford is getting his information from, but it doesn't sound like Hutton has decided anything yet regarding turning pro now or returning to Maine for his senior year., according to Hutton himself:

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/03/09/sports/umaine-sports/devin-shore-leaving-umaine-to-begin-pro-hockey-career/

By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff
Posted March 09, 2015, at 8:15 p.m.

Junior defenseman Ben Hutton, a fifth-round draft pick of Vancouver and the 147th overall pick, said he hasn’t made a decision on his future yet.

Hutton has been Maine’s top scoring defenseman all three years and his 28 career goals leave him four behind the career high shared by Jack Capuano and the late Andre Aubut.

Hutton had nine goals and 12 assists for 21 points in 39 games and his nine goals tie him for fourth in the country among defensemen.

He led the country’s defensemen in goals (15) and power-play goals (9) a year ago and was the first Maine defenseman to ever lead the team in goals.

“Everything is up in the air,” said Hutton. “I haven’t decided anything yet.

“It’s my goal and everybody’s goal to go pro, whether I have the opportunity now or after next season,” said Hutton.

He said no matter what happens, he feels he will continue to develop.

“[Gendron] pushes us every day to get better. He doesn’t let us slack off even in the last five minutes of practice,” said Hutton. “He wants to make sure we continue to get better.”

Hutton said if he hears from the Canucks, he will discuss the decision with his family.

He expects next year’s Maine team to be good.

“We should have a very strong team,” said Hutton. “We will have some holes to fill. We didn’t perform as well as we should have this season. But we’ll work to get better throughout the summer and be ready to go out to try to win a national championship.”

He thought he and his mates played very well against Vermont and deserved a better fate.

“That’s the way hockey is sometimes. Unfortunately, the hockey gods weren’t with us this weekend. If we had played the way we did in Vermont throughout the whole season, we would have been sitting pretty heading into the playoffs,” he said.

Edited by Salmonberries
  • Upvote 1

“We should have a very strong team,” said Hutton. “We will have some holes to fill. We didn’t perform as well as we should have this season. But we’ll work to get better throughout the summer and be ready to go out to try to win a national championship.”

Didn't he pretty much just answer the question right here.

Doesn't sound like a guy that plans to leave Maine to me.