The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

yeah, their season is done. hopefully he chooses to leave and signs soon. If I'm benning I'm calling him today to talk about his future.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did another year, but I guess it depends on what they think the team will look like next year. If the young players they brought in could be strong enough next year to compete then it could be enticing. But then again, helping the Comets to a Calder Cup could also be pretty enticing.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be surprised if he did another year, but I guess it depends on what they think the team will look like next year. If the young players they brought in could be strong enough next year to compete then it could be enticing. But then again, helping the Comets to a Calder Cup could also be pretty enticing.

it could go either way at this point, as maine started to turn it around mid season after their plethora of greenhorns started to acclimate to the new league they entered. it might have been enough for Hutton to think there may be something special and worth sticking around for next season... which kinda sucks, because if they had continued their suckage down the stretch it would have been an instant decision and he'd probably already be in utica.

From the Provies:

2012 draft pick Ben Hutton is planning on going back to Maine for another season. Hutton has long vowed to finish his degree before turning pro, something teams knew at the draft, which could explain why he was taken in the fifth round when some believed hed be taken in the third.

The Canucks, in turn, are planning a visit, which would include Sir Bennington, at some point over the next few months. The visit would be to give him the old Weber blueprint on why he should skip his plans and join the Canucks instead.

The Canucks would like to make room for Hutton in Utica. Thats not as easy as it sounds. There does appear to be a glut of d-men in this organization currently.

One which could be remedied by trading KBlock3.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/03/09/the-provies-its-hammer-time-again-the-lack-twist-and-why-canucks-were-angry-with-old-17/

Doesn't seem likely but crazier things have happened.

Edited by wshdrvvn
  • Upvote 1

From the Provies:

2012 draft pick Ben Hutton is planning on going back to Maine for another season. Hutton has long vowed to finish his degree before turning pro, something teams knew at the draft, which could explain why he was taken in the fifth round when some believed hed be taken in the third.

The Canucks, in turn, are planning a visit, which would include Sir Bennington, at some point over the next few months. The visit would be to give him the old Weber blueprint on why he should skip his plans and join the Canucks instead.

The Canucks would like to make room for Hutton in Utica. Thats not as easy as it sounds. There does appear to be a glut of d-men in this organization currently.

One which could be remedied by trading KBlock3.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/03/09/the-provies-its-hammer-time-again-the-lack-twist-and-why-canucks-were-angry-with-old-17/

Doesn't seem likely but crazier things have happened.

Blast! I knew it was a real possibility, but I was sure hoping he'd skip the senior year and start to acclimate to the rigours of a tougher, longer, pro season. He could've always finished that degree over a couple summers..Maybe JB can convince him of such, although I doubt it.

Ah well!

It's not bad if he gets another year at College. His development would speed up with a early year in the AHL, but we do have a few guys coming into the lineup already such as Subban, McEneny, Cederholm, maybe even Tryamkin if we are lucky.

Edited by Derp...

Assuming he's staying in college another year then he'll be coming into the AHL/ECHL the same time McNally, Tryamkin are. We'll already have Cederholm, McEneny, Subban, Pedan there. Quite a logjam and you'll need some vets in Utica like Huskins/Biega.

I was going to add earlier that the status next year of Hutton's classmate Devin Shore (draftniks will remember him being conspicuously available the year we took Mallet) may play into his decision as Shore is the 'franchise player' for Maine, so to speak.

Well, it didn't take Shore long to sign with Dallas:

Stars sign forward Shore to entry-level contract

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=757404