The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

I got to watch him on tv a few times (not in HD) he really can skate. His skating ability reminds me of bieksa with his agility. His offensive game is really fun to watch but it seems like most of his goals are more in front of the net as opposed to from the blueline, he has a great first pass as well. They list him as 6'3" 200lbs and that's probably accurate he looks very lean kinda like Grenier was thats probably one thing he should do is bulk up a bit (but not much) maybe 10-15 lbs. A knock against him is he isn't flawless ddefensively but he has times where he shutsdown very well just inconsistent, most of his problems defensively stem from him jumping up into the play and having his defence partners not back him up. Hutton(and Shore)was pretty much their best offensive producer, its too bad the black bears suck.

Edited by on the cycle

Guest Dasein

Good news, I'm not surprised, with Shore leaving it was looking like a rebuilding year again there. I'm still thinking maybe Subban is the odd man out here.

No way with the lack of right side depth

We would trade a LHD or two before we give up on Subban imo

Guest Dasein

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Clendening

Sbisa - Bieksa

Stanton - Weber

Pedan - Corrado

Hutton - Subban

Andersson -

McEneny -

Cederholm -

Sautner -

McNally is missing from this list and Weber will be gone.

McNally is not signed - that list consists of prospective NHL/AHL Canuck players of 2015-2016 season

I agree that Weber will be gone, but that list was made assuming that he is qualified (stated as such in the OP)

No way with the lack of right side depth

We would trade a LHD or two before we give up on Subban imo

Well, you gotta figure they bring back three vets to play with the kids in Utica, they're starting to run out of spots for defensemen. Even with Webber and Andersson likely gone they're running out of room. The thing is, we don't know what they think of Subban, they might think his game doesn't translate to the pros.

Edited by Salmonberries

I guess that's why he chose not stay with them I guess

There is of course a significant financial advantage to turning pro. He gets the bonus money right away and, even though two-way contracts do not pay a lot for guys in the minors, they still a lot more than college hockey does.

I think he wants to finish his degree, but he should be close if he takes a couple of summer courses this summer. He can probably wrap up his degree next summer.

I've honestly been really "high" on this kid since last year. I believe he will become a productive PMD and has a higher ceiling than Clendening.

i agree completely. ive never been big on clendening, and i feel ben will definitely be better.

I've read a few scouting reports saying he has #2/3 defenceman potential. I've heard him being compared to Pietrangelo.

that potential is definitely there as long as they continue to develop him properly.

Guest Dasein

Well, you gotta figure they bring back three vets to play with the kids in Utica, they're starting to run out of spots for defensemen. Even with Webber and Andersson likely gone they're running out of room. The thing is, we don't know what they think of Subban, they might think his game doesn't translate to the pros.

We know they are determined to sign him after his OHL season is over, as Benning has said multiple times

Guest Dasein

There is of course a significant financial advantage to turning pro. He gets the bonus money right away and, even though two-way contracts do not pay a lot for guys in the minors, they still a lot more than college hockey does.

You're damn right it does.. they don't get paid in college!

• Upvote 1

Canucks Army had a post today on Subban that people who are worried should go read: http://canucksarmy.com/2015/3/17/will-the-canucks-get-jordan-subban-signed

WILL IT GET DONE?

Canucks general manager Jim Benning sure seems to think so.

"Once his season (is) finished we'll get to Jordan," Benning said during an appearance on TSN 1040 in late February. "He's had a real good season, we're going to get him signed."

It doesn't get much more definitive than "we're going to get him signed," especially when that statement is paired with a 'real good'.

Subban has publicly said similarly positive things about coming to an agreement with the Canucks before the June 1 deadline also. From a recent interview with Canucks.com:

"From my understanding, I believe it will get done," Subban said. "During the season I don’t like to be involved in that stuff, I let my agent handle it, and from talks with him, it sounds like it’s going to get done.

I think he wants to finish his degree, but he should be close if he takes a couple of summer courses this summer. He can probably wrap up his degree next summer.

The only bonus money he'd get right away would be a signing bonus; he'd have to wait for any performance related bonuses. It's still nice to get a paycheck though, even if the AHL contract they'll get him on to play with Utica now won't be anything great.

Edited by elvis15