The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

I also like Foote. He's a physical beast that still has time to fill out. He doesn't play a flashy or super dynamic game, but a very professional game that could translate well as manroth19 pointed out. He could be a Gudbranson lite and a solid addition to any prospect pool. 

Obviously I would LOVE to land one of Hischier, Patrick or Liljegren. That doesn't look very realistic though. 

Petterson on is very interesting for me. He didn't really amaze at the WJC but is putting up very solid numbers in Sweden last I read. His weight/size are a little concerning as he's only something like 150-160lbs, but could be a highly skilled playmaker that we are looking for. I would for sure love to hear more about him and other people's opinions. 

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I also like Foote. He's a physical beast that still has time to fill out. He doesn't play a flashy or super dynamic game, but a very professional game that could translate well as manroth19 pointed out. He could be a Gudbranson lite and a solid addition to any prospect pool. 

Obviously I would LOVE to land one of Hischier, Patrick or Liljegren. That doesn't look very realistic though. 

Petterson on is very interesting for me. He didn't really amaze at the WJC but is putting up very solid numbers in Sweden last I read. His weight/size are a little concerning as he's only something like 150-160lbs, but could be a highly skilled playmaker that we are looking for. I would for sure love to hear more about him and other people's opinions. 

We are 2 points up on 5th worst in the league

we have an extremely difficult schedule leading up to the trade deadline 

its not difficult to drop down the standings quickly 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I would like to take a good look at Foote as well if he's still available when we pick. I like Middlestadt but that doesn't look likely anymore. 

Anyone have any insight into Cody Glass of the Portland Winterhawks? As of January 31st, Bob McKenzie and ISS have him ranked at #14 on their lists. EliteProspects have him listed at 6'2" and 179 lbs. He leads his team in scoring with 68 points (23g + 45a) in 49 games and is a +28 rating. His description from EliteProspects is:

" A dangerous two-way center that thinks the game at a high level, never making the same mistake twice. He is analytical and patient in the development of his strengths. He transitions up-ice quickly and is able to create and dictate offensive chances on the rush. He attacks hard and fast and consistently displays excellent puck control. His decision making is very good, indicative of his high level of hockey sense. He plays a complete game and elevates his play as energy levels rise. At the next level, he will need to be even faster and more physically assertive to make his presence felt. All-in-all, an intense, quick-thinking competitor that can elicit a crowd's excitement when he's on the ice. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017) "

Could be a good pick if we make the playoffs (or fall heartbreakingly short of the playoffs..)

EDIT: Currently 7th overall in WHL scoring too

Edited by Blömqvist

14 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

We are 2 points up on 5th worst in the league

we have an extremely difficult schedule leading up to the trade deadline 

its not difficult to drop down the standings quickly 

Colorado and Arizona have the bottom 2 locked up though. I would rather not rely on chance when there are for sure 2 teams and probably a couple more that will have better chances than us. 

But it if we win, I won't be complaining. 

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Colorado and Arizona have the bottom 2 locked up though. I would rather not rely on chance when there are for sure 2 teams and probably a couple more that will have better chances than us. 

But it if we win, I won't be complaining. 

well. the good thing is, those bottom two teams aren't gauranteed with the recent draft changes. they have a good percentage of winning, but it's a lottery. the top 3-4 teams can change quite drastically depending on the randomness of those lottery balls. 

What do you guys think about Cale Makar, he is climbing fast in a lot of rankings, he is even top 10 in some of the ones ive seen. How do you think he compares to Dante Fabbro?

Cale Makar

AJHL   GP  41  G  15  A  37  P  52

Dante Fabbro

BCHL  GP  45  G  14  A  53  P  67

22 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

A couple of drafts on NHL's site had Liljegren down pretty low...... Has he been dropping or was he just over rated by CDC early in the season?

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

A couple of drafts on NHL's site had Liljegren down pretty low...... Has he been dropping or was he just over rated by CDC early in the season?

He's been dropping as he's been out with mono for a while. He was projected as the clear #2 behind Patrick before Hischier shot up the rankings. 

9 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He's been dropping as he's been out with mono for a while. He was projected as the clear #2 behind Patrick before Hischier shot up the rankings. 

Kimelman has him at 24 and Morreale has him at 20

https://www.nhl.com/news/adam-kimelman-2017-nhl-mock-draft/c-285904700

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-morreale-2017-nhl-mock-draft/c-285904720

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Yeah he definitely has fallen. He was the undisputed top D in the draft before although the gap is probably shortening. I would still rank at #3 behind Hischier and Patrick because he still has the ceiling of being a #1 defenseman. He has the best chance of being the best defenseman of the draft I would say. Of course, that doesn't mean he WILL be, but he probably has the best odds.  

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Yeah he definitely has fallen. He was the undisputed top D in the draft before although the gap is probably shortening. I would still rank at #3 behind Hischier and Patrick because he still has the ceiling of being a #1 defenseman. He has the best chance of being the best defenseman of the draft I would say. Of course, that doesn't mean he WILL be, but he probably has the best odds.  

Pretty interesting.  Could end up being a Chychrun type situation perhaps.  Although falling for different reasons I guess.  

8 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My wishlist for the canucks:

1. Patrick

2. Hischier

3. Vilardi

4. Liljegren

5. Mittelstadt

6. Rasmussen

7. Tolvanen

8. Tippett

9. Foote

10. Necas

HM: Kostin, Hague, Pettersson 

I actually hope that if by some miracle we actually win one of the lotto picks, we get 2nd even over 1st. IMO Hischier fits our team needs better and will be just as good (and likely more dynamic) of a player. But I think local media/a good portion of the fan base would crucify management if we picked him at 1.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I actually hope that if by some miracle we actually win one of the lotto picks, we get 2nd even over 1st. IMO Hischier fits our team needs better and will be just as good (and likely more dynamic) of a player. But I think local media/a good portion of the fan base would crucify management if we picked him at 1.

Ya, I would be pretty butt hurt if we passed on Patrick.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya, I would be pretty butt hurt if we passed on Patrick.

He's certainly a better 'all around' player and likely a 'safer' pick. But I'd wager Hischier will be more dynamic and more productive offensively.

We've already got a 'Patrick' in Horvat and personally I don't see a lot separating Patrick/Hischier in quality. Just different play styles.

Can I ask why you'd be 'butt hurt'?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He's certainly a better 'all around' player and likely a 'safer' pick. But I'd wager Hischier will be more dynamic and more productive offensively.

We've already got a 'Patrick' in Horvat and personally I don't see a lot separating Patrick/Hischier in quality. Just different play styles.

Can I ask why you'd be 'butt hurt'?

In my eyes he is what the Canucks need, a 6'3 centre that plays a meat and potatoes style game and has an extra gear in the playoffs. Hischier is a little more risky and needs more development to play a pro style game. Canucks don't have a great track record in the last few years developing young talent into stars.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In my eyes he is what the Canucks need, a 6'3 centre that plays a meat and potatoes style game and has an extra gear in the playoffs. 

cut.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hischier is a little more risky and needs more development to play a pro style game. 

Agree with that. Definitely more risk/reward and likely the main thing keeping him from 1st overall IMO.

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Canucks don't have a great track record in the last few years developing young talent into stars.

That's just not true.